The Student Room Group

Really confused about getting a laptop through DSA.

I've just got my DSA2 letter with much delay. And despite the majority of the hardware that was recommended not being agreed. I'm a bit confused about somethings.

First, they have given me a paper and ink allowance but havent agreed to give me a printer which seems a bit odd, what's the use of paper and ink if I cant afford a printer, but not the end of the world.

Second the only hardware they have agreed is a laptop which tbh was the most important thing. But I dont understand how the whole allowance thing works. I know I have to pay £200 towards it but on my letter it says they will pay the supplier approx £2300. I was under the impression that they are really stingy and give you the cheapest laptop they can get away with. Surely I wont be getting a laptop worth nearly £2500, that seems ridiculous.

If anybody has been through the DSA system and could help it explain it a bit. That would be much appreciated.
Original post by Anxious_Autistic
I've just got my DSA2 letter with much delay. And despite the majority of the hardware that was recommended not being agreed. I'm a bit confused about somethings.

First, they have given me a paper and ink allowance but havent agreed to give me a printer which seems a bit odd, what's the use of paper and ink if I cant afford a printer, but not the end of the world.

Second the only hardware they have agreed is a laptop which tbh was the most important thing. But I dont understand how the whole allowance thing works. I know I have to pay £200 towards it but on my letter it says they will pay the supplier approx £2300. I was under the impression that they are really stingy and give you the cheapest laptop they can get away with. Surely I wont be getting a laptop worth nearly £2500, that seems ridiculous.

If anybody has been through the DSA system and could help it explain it a bit. That would be much appreciated.

They probably just want the 200. Might have been a typo but call your supplier to be sure. The printer is a little odd. They may have already agreed but must be waiting for the actual printer. Either way, paying the 200 contribution is the only fee you have.
Original post by TheStarboy
They probably just want the 200. Might have been a typo but call your supplier to be sure. The printer is a little odd. They may have already agreed but must be waiting for the actual printer. Either way, paying the 200 contribution is the only fee you have.

Turns out I just didnt read it properly lol. Its 2500 for all equipment so that must include a printer, I think I just saw PC in the supplier name and just assumed they only supply printer. It makes much more sense though cause the DSA people said they would go back to the assessment centre if they didn't agree absolutely everything. So yeah it's just being an idiot and not being able to read haha
Original post by Anxious_Autistic
Turns out I just didnt read it properly lol. Its 2500 for all equipment so that must include a printer, I think I just saw PC in the supplier name and just assumed they only supply printer. It makes much more sense though cause the DSA people said they would go back to the assessment centre if they didn't agree absolutely everything. So yeah it's just being an idiot and not being able to read haha

So it’s all well then? Cool. So it’s only the £200 you’ll pay and you’ll get everything you wanted. Hopefully you’ll get your printer sorted too

Quick Reply

Latest