The Student Room Group

Work experience and personal statements

Hi guys, I'm writing my personal statement for an English Language and Linguistics degree but I'm stuck on how to link my work experience to the course. I've had two jobs as a waitress and I completed some work experience at a publishing company (which links more to literature than language) but I hope to become a speech therapist. Any help would be massively appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
hm, maybe you could say that as a waitress you had to listen to customers and since everyone is different, it helped you be better and communicating or listening?
Reply 2
Original post by ehj5
hm, maybe you could say that as a waitress you had to listen to customers and since everyone is different, it helped you be better and communicating or listening?

that's a good point! thank you
You don't need to talk about skills in an academic degree like that. Why not apply for an undergrad SALT course?
Reply 4
Original post by Interrobang
You don't need to talk about skills in an academic degree like that. Why not apply for an undergrad SALT course?

oh really? i'm just going with the advice I've been given by my college- and I decided that English is the route for me as it's more versatile job-wise than SALT and less science based
Original post by agrctt
oh really? i'm just going with the advice I've been given by my college- and I decided that English is the route for me as it's more versatile job-wise than SALT and less science based

Yes really - work experience is only needed for vocational courses

If you want to be a SALT you would either need to do the undergrad 3 year course or a 2 year masters
Discuss the skills learned whilst you were a waitress. For example teamwork, communication skills, people awareness etc. Also listening skills are important as well.
Original post by agrctt
Hi guys, I'm writing my personal statement for an English Language and Linguistics degree but I'm stuck on how to link my work experience to the course. I've had two jobs as a waitress and I completed some work experience at a publishing company (which links more to literature than language) but I hope to become a speech therapist. Any help would be massively appreciated :smile:

Hi, it's great that you have have work experience that you can talk about in your personal statement, and even better if you can link it to the courses that you are applying for. Universities do like applicants to talk about their experiences as this is a great way to demonstrate your enthusiasm and knowledge for your chosen subject area. It also demonstrates your suitability for the course.

My advice would be to take some time to think about the skills required for the courses that you are applying for. Have a look at the course information on the universities' websites and try to pick out skills that you feel that would be essential for these courses, for example, are you required to deliver a presentation that would require good communication skills, or will you be completing any group projects that require team work skills. Once you have examples of skills required for the courses, consider your work experience and whether you developed and demonstrated these skills within your job role or time spent at the publishing company.

Studying at university also requires specific skills, for example, working to deadlines, being organised, the ability to use your own initiative, can you talk about how your work experience has developed your skills in these areas.

I hope this helps, but if you have any other questions, please feel to send us a direct message :smile:

Thanks, Carrie
Reply 8
Original post by University of South Wales
Hi, it's great that you have have work experience that you can talk about in your personal statement, and even better if you can link it to the courses that you are applying for. Universities do like applicants to talk about their experiences as this is a great way to demonstrate your enthusiasm and knowledge for your chosen subject area. It also demonstrates your suitability for the course.

My advice would be to take some time to think about the skills required for the courses that you are applying for. Have a look at the course information on the universities' websites and try to pick out skills that you feel that would be essential for these courses, for example, are you required to deliver a presentation that would require good communication skills, or will you be completing any group projects that require team work skills. Once you have examples of skills required for the courses, consider your work experience and whether you developed and demonstrated these skills within your job role or time spent at the publishing company.

Studying at university also requires specific skills, for example, working to deadlines, being organised, the ability to use your own initiative, can you talk about how your work experience has developed your skills in these areas.

I hope this helps, but if you have any other questions, please feel to send us a direct message :smile:

Thanks, Carrie

thank you Carrie! this has helped so much, i really value your advice :smile:
Original post by agrctt
thank you Carrie! this has helped so much, i really value your advice :smile:

That's no problem at all :smile: Good luck with your application, and if you have any other questions just let me know :smile:
This is a example only. You could describe how working to prepare food in the kitchen helped you to improve on your teamwork skills etc. Also explain how your communication skills were honed and developed as a result of your working there. Other very important skills to consider are spelling, writing and reading skills.
Do not forget about numeracy skills either. Consider time keeping skills. Not to mention money management and skills in doing paperwork. Include skills in food preparation and handling. Another thing to demonstrate is a strong work oriented mindset here. That is important. So is a positive attitude.
And you could provide up to date information to show you have those skills. Give examples and reasons. Best of luck. Provide two or two sound references.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending