The Student Room Group

Work Experience-Application

Hi, so I'm applying to do a 2-week work experience at Airbus, and for part of the application, we had to write a short piece about why we are applying to the programme. This is what I've come up with so far, does anyone mind reading it and giving me some feedback (I also need to add in some stuff at the start but I'm not sure what to say)? Thank you :smile:

Whilst at school I have participated in many extracurricular activities- I earned my Duke of York Bronze Award which helped me gain a fascinating insight into the world of the digital enterprise. I also went on a French exchange in February to Lille and am a member of the school council, which has taught me to take other people’s views into consideration and to compromise-which I think is a key skill needed in order to be able to work in a team.
When I'm not working or studying, I have a number of hobbies that I like to pursue. I volunteered at the local Girlguiding Hut, helping out with the Rainbows sessions for 5-7 year olds. This involved me leading activities, and helping organise sessions. Sadly this has been cut short by the pandemic, but in the time that I was there I learnt a lot of key skills such as leadership and organisation. I also like to read-fiction as well as nonfiction. For example, I recently read Tim Peake’s book ‘Ask an Astronaut: My Guide to Life in Space’ Ever since reading this book, I have been fascinated by the concept of interplanetary spaceflight. Leading on from this, I am currently reading NASA’s ‘Basics of Space Flight’ tutorial. One thing I have found particularly interesting is the Asteroid Belt, and the various observations made by people through history. For example, Galileo made observations of two main-belt asteroids, 951 Gaspara and 243 Ida.
I hope you will consider me for this opportunity at Airbus and I look forward to the challenges that lie ahead.
Original post by average_human
Hi, so I'm applying to do a 2-week work experience at Airbus, and for part of the application, we had to write a short piece about why we are applying to the programme. This is what I've come up with so far, does anyone mind reading it and giving me some feedback (I also need to add in some stuff at the start but I'm not sure what to say)? Thank you :smile:

Whilst at school I have participated in many extracurricular activities- I earned my Duke of York Bronze Award which helped me gain a fascinating insight into the world of the digital enterprise. I also went on a French exchange in February to Lille and am a member of the school council, which has taught me to take other people’s views into consideration and to compromise-which I think is a key skill needed in order to be able to work in a team.
When I'm not working or studying, I have a number of hobbies that I like to pursue. I volunteered at the local Girlguiding Hut, helping out with the Rainbows sessions for 5-7 year olds. This involved me leading activities, and helping organise sessions. Sadly this has been cut short by the pandemic, but in the time that I was there I learnt a lot of key skills such as leadership and organisation. I also like to read-fiction as well as nonfiction. For example, I recently read Tim Peake’s book ‘Ask an Astronaut: My Guide to Life in Space’ Ever since reading this book, I have been fascinated by the concept of interplanetary spaceflight. Leading on from this, I am currently reading NASA’s ‘Basics of Space Flight’ tutorial. One thing I have found particularly interesting is the Asteroid Belt, and the various observations made by people through history. For example, Galileo made observations of two main-belt asteroids, 951 Gaspara and 243 Ida.
I hope you will consider me for this opportunity at Airbus and I look forward to the challenges that lie ahead.

- don't say 'I think'- you need to sound confident, so say that taking other peoples views into consideration IS a key skill for working in a team
- cut out unecessary info- e.g. dont need to say the age group of children at rainbows, and no need to say it was cut short by the pandemic.
- say that tim peake's book fascinated you, and therefore led you onto reading nasa's tutorial
- cut out the last sentence as it's not necessary
- Use grammarly.com to check your grammar issues as there are quite a few

I think a better way to structure the first paragraph would be to pick a key skill that is important to airbus (look at their company values), for example, being able to work in a team. And then explain how you have demonstrated you can work in a team- You did this really well already!! Just repeat it for other skills. For example, say that you are a good communicator, then prove this by showing you have been a leader at girlguides. Also say you think airbus will provide you with challenging work experience- then say how you have enjoyed taking on challenges in the past (e.g. DofE).

Essentially just name an important skill that airbus would care about, and then prove how you have this skill with an example of when you have demonstrated this skill in the past! Hope this helps.
Original post by hannah333davis
- don't say 'I think'- you need to sound confident, so say that taking other peoples views into consideration IS a key skill for working in a team
- cut out unecessary info- e.g. dont need to say the age group of children at rainbows, and no need to say it was cut short by the pandemic.
- say that tim peake's book fascinated you, and therefore led you onto reading nasa's tutorial
- cut out the last sentence as it's not necessary
- Use grammarly.com to check your grammar issues as there are quite a few

I think a better way to structure the first paragraph would be to pick a key skill that is important to airbus (look at their company values), for example, being able to work in a team. And then explain how you have demonstrated you can work in a team- You did this really well already!! Just repeat it for other skills. For example, say that you are a good communicator, then prove this by showing you have been a leader at girlguides. Also say you think airbus will provide you with challenging work experience- then say how you have enjoyed taking on challenges in the past (e.g. DofE).

Essentially just name an important skill that airbus would care about, and then prove how you have this skill with an example of when you have demonstrated this skill in the past! Hope this helps.

This is amazing feedback, thanks ! :smile:
Hi, I updated it a bit, what do you think?

Whilst at school I have participated in many extracurricular activities- I earned my Duke of York Bronze Award which helped me gain a fascinating insight into the world of the digital enterprise. I also went on a French exchange in February to Lille and am a member of the school council, which has taught me to consider other people's views and to compromise-which is a key skill needed to be able to work in a team.

One skill I have that I believe would make me a suitable candidate is that I am a good communicator. I volunteered at the local Girlguiding Hut, helping out with the Rainbows sessions. This involved me leading activities and helping organise sessions. I also like to read fiction as well as nonfiction. For example, I recently read Tim Peake's book 'Ask an Astronaut: My Guide to Life in Space' Ever since reading this book, I have been fascinated by the concept of interplanetary spaceflight. This then led me on to reading NASA’s ‘Basics of Space Flight’ tutorial. One thing I have found particularly interesting is the Asteroid Belt, and the various observations made by people through history. For example, Galileo made observations of two main-belt asteroids, 951 Gaspara and 243 Ida.
Hi, I updated it a bit, what do you think?

Whilst at school I have participated in many extracurricular activities- I earned my Duke of York Bronze Award which helped me gain a fascinating insight into the world of the digital enterprise. I also went on a French exchange in February to Lille and am a member of the school council, which has taught me to consider other people's views and to compromise-which is a key skill needed to be able to work in a team.

One skill I have that I believe would make me a suitable candidate is that I am a good communicator. I volunteered at the local Girlguiding Hut, helping out with the Rainbows sessions. This involved me leading activities and helping organise sessions. I also like to read fiction as well as nonfiction. For example, I recently read Tim Peake's book 'Ask an Astronaut: My Guide to Life in Space' Ever since reading this book, I have been fascinated by the concept of interplanetary spaceflight. This then led me on to reading NASA’s ‘Basics of Space Flight’ tutorial. One thing I have found particularly interesting is the Asteroid Belt, and the various observations made by people through history. For example, Galileo made observations of two main-belt asteroids, 951 Gaspara and 243 Ida.

yeah this is good!! If you aren't limited to a word count, I would also add a paragraph about why you specifically want to work with airbus. This is quite a difficult thing to write about, but I would suggest finding something specific about Airbus that interests you. Have they worked on a project recently that interests you? How are they different from other companies who offer similar work experience, and why does this make you want to work for airbus rather than with other similar companies? :smile:

When you're finished, read what you've written out loud too, maybe to a friend or family member. This will make sure that what you've written is clear to understand.
yeah this is good!! If you aren't limited to a word count, I would also add a paragraph about why you specifically want to work with airbus. This is quite a difficult thing to write about, but I would suggest finding something specific about Airbus that interests you. Have they worked on a project recently that interests you? How are they different from other companies who offer similar work experience, and why does this make you want to work for airbus rather than with other similar companies? :smile:

When you're finished, read what you've written out loud too, maybe to a friend or family member. This will make sure that what you've written is clear to understand.

thank you so much for all your help!

thank you so much for all your help!

Hi, just wanted to let you know that I got the placement at Airbus! Thank you for all your help :smile:
Right this is pretty easy. All you have to do is pick a skill and elaborate on it. Focus on reasons for working there too.
Hi, just wanted to let you know that I got the placement at Airbus! Thank you for all your help :smile:

Congratulations, that's brilliant! Make notes on all your experiences and the new skills you learn there- it will come in handy in future :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest