Ali44386r
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I am 14 and my dream is to become is to become a commercial pilot. I am not very good at math nor physics and am certainly not able to do maths a level. Can I still become a pilot? And if I pass will I even stand a chance at being hired for an airline.
deadroseex
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
You need go GCSE'S. You are in Year 10 or 9, and just start putting effort now. Instead of maybe doing English, do more maths. Then when it comes to A levels, worry about A levels. You need the GCSE's at the moment.

If you do not get that good, then you will not be hired most likely. I am sure you can do it though!
Ali44386r
Rep:
?
(Original post by deadroseex)
You need go GCSE'S. You are in Year 10 or 9, and just start putting effort now. Instead of maybe doing English, do more maths. Then when it comes to A levels, worry about A levels. You need the GCSE's at the moment.

If you do not get that good, then you will not be hired most likely. I am sure you can do it though!
So if I don't do a level math or physics, can I still be a pilot?

Thank you so much for believing in me 🙂
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Ali44386r)

It's possible, but it might not put you in the best place for competition.
deadroseex
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

My cousin is in the Air force. I think it was a requirement to do at least math and physics. This was 2011 so I do not know for sure. I think you need to have both.

And off course, you can do whatever if you believe in yourself and put the effort in.
Ali44386r
Rep:
?
My cousin is in the Air force. I think it was a requirement to do at least math and physics. This was 2011 so I do not know for sure. I think you need to have both.

And off course, you can do whatever if you believe in yourself and put the effort in.
It's not that I don't want to do these courses, it's the fact that I am not academic enough. Also, is a degree required? But yeah, that's my main concern.
Ali44386r
Rep:
?
(Original post by Drewski)
It's possible, but it might not put you in the best place for competition.
So are these a levels a must do then.
Gaddafi
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Join the RAF as a pilot and then join the commercial world after your contract. You need 2 C's at A Level. Any academic subject is fine. You could join with History and Geography if you wanted to.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
So are these a levels a must do then.
Very few places set requirements for what qualifications you must have to be a pilot. All you really need is money to afford all the training. And a lot of money is needed.

But, in order to get through all that training, some level of maths proficiency is very useful.

If you're then in competition for a place on the training, the more you can demonstrate that you'll be able to pass it, the better.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by shak101)
Join the RAF as a pilot and then join the commercial world after your contract. You need 2 C's at A Level. Any academic subject is fine. You could join with History and Geography if you wanted to.
Do not do this.

It's the worst possible way in, won't guarantee you any ability to fly commercially, is extremely restrictive and competitive to get in, and will mandate you to many years service in an environment that's very far removed from civilian flying.

If you want to fly commercially, then fly commercially. The RAF is not an easy way in.
deadroseex
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
It's not that I don't want to do these courses, it's the fact that I am not academic enough. Also, is a degree required? But yeah, that's my main concern.
No idea about degrees, I am in Year 10 myself however, you can become academic enough, you have a few years and you can really do it if you are dead set on being a pilot.
Gaddafi
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Do not do this.

It's the worst possible way in, won't guarantee you any ability to fly commercially, is extremely restrictive and competitive to get in, and will mandate you to many years service in an environment that's very far removed from civilian flying.

If you want to fly commercially, then fly commercially. The RAF is not an easy way in.
It is however a very cheap way, free in fact, to become a pilot. The OP does not have to give anything but some years of his life - for which he is paid a respectable sum. Very few jobs pay £27000 out of secondary school.

It is also not that competitive, the entry requirements are C's with no preference for Maths or Physics. I personally know of someone with BCC who joint. The OP loses nothing by applying. Yes, it does not guarantee commercial flying - but plenty of ppl sure make that transition.
Ali44386r
Rep:
?
Very few places set requirements for what qualifications you must have to be a pilot. All you really need is money to afford all the training. And a lot of money is needed.

But, in order to get through all that training, some level of maths proficiency is very useful.

If you're then in competition for a place on the training, the more you can demonstrate that you'll be able to pass it, the better.
Do not do this.

Thanks for the advice, but I agree with drewski. I don't have any interest in joining the RAF, although I considered.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
It is however a very cheap way, free in fact, to become a pilot. The OP does not have to give anything but some years of his life - for which he is paid a respectable sum. Very few jobs pay £27000 out of secondary school.

It is also not that competitive, the entry requirements are C's with no preference for Maths or Physics. I personally know of someone with BCC who joint. The OP loses nothing by applying. Yes, it does not guarantee commercial flying - but plenty of ppl sure make that transition.
It is not free. You are signing up to 12 years of service, after which you may not have any experience that directly correlates to commercial flying.

And yes, it is extremely competitive. Tens of thousands of people apply every year, only a handful get in.

The minimum requirements are 2x Cs, yes, but if someone isn't strong at maths then they won't get through the aptitude tests.

The RAF is the worst route for someone only interested in a civil career.

The only requirement is at GCSE.
Ali44386r
Rep:
?

Wow, are you sure people with bcc got in? I might consider but it is tough to get into.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Wow, are you sure people with bcc got in? I might consider but it is tough to get into.
If your mental arithmetic is poor you won't get past the aptitude tests.
Ali44386r
Rep:
?
No idea about degrees, I am in Year 10 myself however, you can become academic enough, you have a few years and you can really do it if you are dead set on being a pilot.
Thanks so much.
Ali44386r
Rep:
?
If your mental arithmetic is poor you won't get past the aptitude tests.
Yeah, also would taking a Btec in aeronautical engineering help instead of a levels or is this a bad idea?
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Yeah, also would taking a Btec in aeronautical engineering help instead of a levels or is this a bad idea?
To what end?
Ali44386r
Rep:
?
To what end?
A level 3 Btec. If that's what you mean?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (53)
17.97%
No one else does (92)
31.19%
I'm embarrassed about my background (32)
10.85%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (99)
33.56%
We don't use a video platform (6)
2.03%
I don't have a camera (7)
2.37%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
2.03%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed