The Student Room Group

Unhappy at university

Hi,
I’m currently at uni studying a foundation year and I’m having trouble liking the university as it makes me really unhappy. With this, I’m been avoiding so much work because I just get sad about the uni I go to. Studying this foundation year is the only way for me to get entry into a better uni next year. I just don’t want to be there for a year. I’m thinking of dropping out but my future is important. Need advice, thanks
Reply 1
If you really want to get a degree and that is your way in stick with it. If it’s foundation then only normally a year or two so a temporary yucky situation that if you work through and get to something you want.

That being said if you don’t want to go to uni or have other options why are you making yourself unhappy.

You need to decide what you want, I mean your main goal and see if you need to or have to stay and work fm there.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,
I’m currently at uni studying a foundation year and I’m having trouble liking the university as it makes me really unhappy. With this, I’m been avoiding so much work because I just get sad about the uni I go to. Studying this foundation year is the only way for me to get entry into a better uni next year. I just don’t want to be there for a year. I’m thinking of dropping out but my future is important. Need advice, thanks

What is making you so unhappy ?Also what subject?
Hi,

You do have good reasons for doing that course but I understand you're not happy where you are.

Can't you move back home and finish it remotely? Then you can transfer to a different uni for your main degree
Reply 4
Original post by harrysbar
You do have good reasons for doing that course but I understand you're not happy where you are.

Can't you move back home and finish it remotely? Then you can transfer to a different uni for your main degree

Hi, yes I do live at home and I am currently doing it online. However, I just don’t interact with the zoom meetings etc. I don’t think I’ve attended a single tutorial meeting with my tutor. I’ve already told them about my plans of leaving to a different uni next year. It’s just a bit different because obviously I need to apply for year 1 via UCAS and the deadline is coming up. Or if I want to change degree, I’ll need to write a new PS etc.
Reply 5
Original post by Scotney
What is making you so unhappy ?Also what subject?

I like the course hence why I chose to do it but I don’t like the teaching and the university in general. It’s an ex poly uni. I’m doing a foundation year in pharmacy. Hoping to move to a better uni for year 1 next year
Reply 6
It is only a short time in reality and it gets you where you want to go. There is zero chance of transferring course this year so unless you want to apply to another foundation course starting Sept 21 you are better off sticking it out and changing uni next year as planned. Its rubbish everywhere virtually this year anyway. Work hard and get the results you need to move on.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Scotney
It is only a short time in reality and it gets you where you want to go. There is zero chance of transferring course this year so unless you want to apply to another foundation course starting Sept 21 you are better off sticking it out and changing uni next year as planned. Its rubbish everywhere virtually this year anyway. Work hard and get the result today.

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it. I was thinking of leaving this year and dropping out to take a gap year. However I can’t get into foundation years at the universities I would like to go to as I have been told by admissions that I do not have enough science content from my a level subjectsx
Reply 8
I dropped out my foundation year in art. Was so difficult despite it being the best course in the uk and yeah it really damaged my mental health too as it taught me nothing and left me feeling like I was useless and didn't know anything (so much for being the best).
I just made sure that I at least stuck out into the UCAS application process and applied for other unis. Luckily one uni is willing to accept me unconditionally so I didn't need to finish the year. I think you should do the same.
However, foundation is a bit of a hint into how uni is gonna be like, esp second year and further. I'm back to dying again... but at least I understand what I'm doing. Maybe take a step back unlike I did and think realistically... are you able to handle the work?
Reply 9
Thanks for the help. I appreciate it. I was thinking of leaving this year and dropping out to take a gap year. However I can’t get into foundation years at the universities I would like to go to as I have been told by admissions that I do not have enough science content from my a level subjectsx

So just to be clear this course will make up this deficit yes?
Original post by Iouisa
I dropped out my foundation year in art. Was so difficult despite it being the best course in the uk and yeah it really damaged my mental health too as it taught me nothing and left me feeling like I was useless and didn't know anything (so much for being the best).
I just made sure that I at least stuck out into the UCAS application process and applied for other unis. Luckily one uni is willing to accept me unconditionally so I didn't need to finish the year. I think you should do the same.
However, foundation is a bit of a hint into how uni is gonna be like, esp second year and further. I'm back to dying again... but at least I understand what I'm doing. Maybe take a step back unlike I did and think realistically... are you able to handle the work?

Art is different though Louisa as you get to show a portfolio. This poster needs the qualification but also the knowledge this course provides.
Reply 11
Original post by Scotney
Art is different though Louisa as you get to show a portfolio. This poster needs the qualification but also the knowledge this course provides.

Sorry I only read the first part of the thread
Original post by Iouisa
Sorry I only read the first part of the thread

Oh I get you that is why I asked which subject as daughter did Ual Art foundation and that absolutely would be an option in that scenario
Original post by Iouisa

Sorry you are having a rough time. I do think the pandemic has made Art courses especially difficult as lack of face to face teaching and restrictions on access to work shops and studios have basically meant my daughter might as well of stayed at home and had more room to work on the kitchen table! The mixing of students and exchange of ideas and inspiration drawn from others is vital for Art and I really think you guys have had it hardest and also wonder what she is getting for her money?What has been the biggest problem for you in terms of your MH if you do not mind me asking?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Scotney
So just to be clear this course will make up this deficit yes?

What do you mean? The course I am currently on allows me to apply for other better universities for next year however I have to go through the interview too as it’s a science subject, not medicine etc. The foundation year I would like to study at is the same uni I would like to transfer to but due to my qualifications I can’t do their foundation year, which is a shame because I had really good grades.
Original post by Scotney
Sorry you are having a rough time. I do think the pandemic has made Art courses especially difficult as lack of face to face teaching and restrictions on access to work shops and studios have basically meant my daughter might as well of stayed at home and had more room to work on the kitchen table! The mixing of students and exchange of ideas and inspiration drawn from others is vital for Art and I really think you guys have had it hardest and also wonder what she is getting for her money?What has been the biggest problem for you in terms of your MH if you do not mind me asking?

Sorry I know you aren’t asking me but for me personally, mental health hasn’t been great alongside other students across the uk. Uni has been hard for us with the additional pandemic. I’ve been putting of uni work as I have no motivation bc as mentioned, I’m unhappy at the uni I am at.
What do you mean? The course I am currently on allows me to apply for other better universities for next year however I have to go through the interview too as it’s a science subject, not medicine etc. The foundation year I would like to study at is the same uni I would like to transfer to but due to my qualifications I can’t do their foundation year, which is a shame because I had really good grades.

Well as I said knuckle down and get it done then you can go to your dream uni hopefully in fairly normal times.
Sorry I know you aren’t asking me but for me personally, mental health hasn’t been great alongside other students across the uk. Uni has been hard for us with the additional pandemic. I’ve been putting of uni work as I have no motivation bc as mentioned, I’m unhappy at the uni I am at.

I am sorry to hear that. Have you spoken to your gp about this. There are medications that can help. If you have money many therapists are doing zoom counselling which you might find helpful. Also the basics like sleep patterns, daily exercise even if it is just a morning walk and good food are all vital.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending