The Student Room Group

Advice on obtaining an A-level in Biology to persue Physiopherapy as a second degree

Hi Student Room,

I graduated from York St. John back in 2017 with a Class 1 (Honours) Degree of Bachelor of Arts in Film Studies and Media. Since graduating I have been working as a freelance video editor, however in the past years the idea of pursuing a second degree in Physiotherapy has really taken me.

Whilst I do not possess the entry level requirements, as I obtained CCD in IT, Geography and Philosophy, I contacted York St. John and received a response stating that if I could obtain an A-level in biology (or P.E) I would be able to put forward an application due to my first class degree.

My question concerns how I would best go about obtaining this A-level in Biology. I have looked into booking as a private candidate, however I am still unsure as to the whether or not I need to have taken my AS exams before being able to persue Biology as an A-level. I have a lot of free time and dedication to fully apply myself to the course and believe I can obtain the A-level within 8 months of self study. What do you believe would be the fastest, as well as most efficient, way to obtain this A-level?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Reply 1
Biology AS and A-Level are two separate qualifications now, although the first year of A-Level and AS have the same content. As such, you will not need to sit the AS exams as you would do all of Biology A-Level in one season (ie. all in June 2021 etc.). You will still need to learn the content of the first year, however all of the content from first year (the AS year) is examined alongside the content from the second year if you sit the full A-Level.

Therefore I would recommend buying some revision guides for the relevant course and starting to work your way through them. Generally speaking the second year content follows on from the first year so it would be a good idea to work on first year / AS work and then move on to the second year / A2* work, then practice exam questions. Different exam boards have different requirements so it may be a good idea to get a tutor who is a Biology teacher (who teaches that exam board) as sometimes the exams require quite specific wording, especially if there is an essay, such as there is with AQA. I didn't take Biology so I can't advise you specifically but I wish you good luck and feel free to message me if you have any more questions.

*A2 is the second year of A-Level. Since A-Level exams now cover both years of the course, A2 refers to the content that is only in the second year, and not in the A2 or first year.
Original post by Kkieran1
Hi Student Room,

I graduated from York St. John back in 2017 with a Class 1 (Honours) Degree of Bachelor of Arts in Film Studies and Media. Since graduating I have been working as a freelance video editor, however in the past years the idea of pursuing a second degree in Physiotherapy has really taken me.

Whilst I do not possess the entry level requirements, as I obtained CCD in IT, Geography and Philosophy, I contacted York St. John and received a response stating that if I could obtain an A-level in biology (or P.E) I would be able to put forward an application due to my first class degree.

My question concerns how I would best go about obtaining this A-level in Biology. I have looked into booking as a private candidate, however I am still unsure as to the whether or not I need to have taken my AS exams before being able to persue Biology as an A-level. I have a lot of free time and dedication to fully apply myself to the course and believe I can obtain the A-level within 8 months of self study. What do you believe would be the fastest, as well as most efficient, way to obtain this A-level?

hi!
Im doing film studies and media as well!
but funnily enough i also want an a-level in biology to pursue a second degree in either marine biology or something similar!
Just a question - how would you be affording the second degree? it wouldn't be covered by student finance so have you managed to save up? i'm just wondering for me! Thank you!

Also you don't need to take AS exams to do an a-level you just go straight into A2 exams. but be warned they are really hard but as long as you apply yourself and learn all the content you should be fine!!! Also maybe look into having a tutor for a while once you've learned the majority of the syllabus as they can iron out any kinks you have!! x
Reply 4
Original post by robertgallacher
Biology AS and A-Level are two separate qualifications now, although the first year of A-Level and AS have the same content. As such, you will not need to sit the AS exams as you would do all of Biology A-Level in one season (ie. all in June 2021 etc.). You will still need to learn the content of the first year, however all of the content from first year (the AS year) is examined alongside the content from the second year if you sit the full A-Level.

Therefore I would recommend buying some revision guides for the relevant course and starting to work your way through them. Generally speaking the second year content follows on from the first year so it would be a good idea to work on first year / AS work and then move on to the second year / A2* work, then practice exam questions. Different exam boards have different requirements so it may be a good idea to get a tutor who is a Biology teacher (who teaches that exam board) as sometimes the exams require quite specific wording, especially if there is an essay, such as there is with AQA. I didn't take Biology so I can't advise you specifically but I wish you good luck and feel free to message me if you have any more questions.

*A2 is the second year of A-Level. Since A-Level exams now cover both years of the course, A2 refers to the content that is only in the second year, and not in the A2 or first year.

Thank you! This was very helpful. I'll look into whether or not I will be needing to practical side of the assessment and then look into comparing prices and centres I can sit the exam at!
Reply 5
Original post by Gemma_Heath
hi!
Im doing film studies and media as well!
but funnily enough i also want an a-level in biology to pursue a second degree in either marine biology or something similar!
Just a question - how would you be affording the second degree? it wouldn't be covered by student finance so have you managed to save up? i'm just wondering for me! Thank you!

Also you don't need to take AS exams to do an a-level you just go straight into A2 exams. but be warned they are really hard but as long as you apply yourself and learn all the content you should be fine!!! Also maybe look into having a tutor for a while once you've learned the majority of the syllabus as they can iron out any kinks you have!! x

Physiotherapy falls under an allied health profession subject and therefore is subject to the same student loan system for a second degree!

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/nhs-bursary-reform/nhs-bursary-reform

Good luck in whatever you choose to pursue!
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi Student Room,

Just buy an online course as you are working. If you dont have money then your alternative is to do an access course, although brick access have already started .

An A level for Bio will cost you c £1,500- £1,900. There are 3 parts 1. Course. 2. Practical 3. Exam fee.
You can probably knock yourself £300 off of 1, but it makes it easier to tie up with the practical which is the most expensive bit.
Thank you! This was very helpful. I'll look into whether or not I will be needing to practical side of the assessment and then look into comparing prices and centres I can sit the exam at!

You're welcome :smile:

Also, the practical assessment is not required to obtain a grade, however it is generally recognised as an important part of it, and most university offers will include a Pass in the practical component as part of their offer, so I would definitely recommend getting that done. It is also not required that you do the practical component in the same centre as you sit the exams, so if you have a former school that could facilitate you doing the exams there but not the practical component (which is usually done alongside normal lessons throughout the course) then this may be cheaper than doing everything at a private centre. However you may find the cost difference to be quite small, so it may be easier to do everything at once centre for the sake of simplicity.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending