The Student Room Group

Study tubers- out of touch

I know a lot of people here love to watch study tube. Some examples like unjaded jade, however I can’t help but feel a lot of these youtubers are out of touch with the struggles of actually being a student. Not everyone can afford or gets to have the same quality of education as them. Not everyone can dedicate so much time to schooling without additional work/ family commitments etc. Not everyone can afford to take a gap year or to travel or even afford tutoring or any of these things. Heck some people can barely afford the textbooks they study from. I sometimes find these videos motivating but more often than not I find them pretentious and condescending how they’re trying to convert us to their unrealistic life styles and false positivity. I want to know anyone else’s opinion on this?

Scroll to see replies

I completely agree with you.
Sometimes the videos seem very fake and quite arrogant. I know that their intention is to help others but I definitely feel like they can come across as condescending.
I mean the fact that Unjaded Jade went to Minerva and encourages others to go as if it won't be insanely expensive without loans.
Agreed, have never been interested in them for this reason. A lot of them seem conceited and normalise studying for huge amounts of time which is neither efficient or healthy
i enjoy them, i guess it's because i'll never go to some place like minerva or do half the things she does so it's interesting to learn about them. i do like her positivity too. i prefer her to ruby granger as i find her more relatable.
Agreed. Sometimes it's useful though for a bit of motivation.
Reply 5
what do they actually do in their videos? do they like at least like, explain different subjects etc or do they just talk about studying? never had any interest in study tubers lol
Reply 6
Just like anything else on social media, you should remember that the majority of it is heavily glamorized.
Reply 7
Original post by Ciel.
what do they actually do in their videos? do they like at least like, explain different subjects etc or do they just talk about studying? never had any interest in study tubers lol

Some videos are genuinely helpful in giving revision tips but I’m talking more about the vlogs they do. They just seem very arrogant and the lifestyles they encourage don’t seem to be healthy or sustainable in the long run. Also slightly condescending when you think of struggles be have to face normally, such as working while being a student, being less financially advantaged and even mental health or even physical issues people have to deal with. I think sometimes they try and promote a message while not realising how out of touch they can be.

While Jade didn’t go to a private school or anything she definitely has some financial privileges that she did address in one video, but it doesn’t mean there’s no ignorance when she’s trying to push such an unrealistic lifestyle onto people.
Reply 8
Original post by chloenix
I completely agree with you.
Sometimes the videos seem very fake and quite arrogant. I know that their intention is to help others but I definitely feel like they can come across as condescending.
I mean the fact that Unjaded Jade went to Minerva and encourages others to go as if it won't be insanely expensive without loans.

I agree. Minerva just generally seems pretty sketchy in general tbh. Overpriced schooling and basically all done online.
When @SuperiorPotato is revising she's a studying tuber. :tongue:
Original post by Rufus the red

U wot

OI I can barely do 30mins of revision I'm the opposite :colonhash:
(edited 3 years ago)
They glamorise stress and it puts unhealthy expectations on people watching. You girls spend them time thinking they need to revise 24/7 and university is all about studying. Studytubers need to showcase their life outside studying.
Original post by Miss Maddie
They glamorise stress and it puts unhealthy expectations on people watching. You girls spend them time thinking they need to revise 24/7 and university is all about studying. Studytubers need to showcase their life outside studying.

Bold of you to assume they have a life outside studying
I remember the few 'studytuber' videos I watched being terrible - incredibly obvious advice that could've been given in seconds dragged out into more than 10 minutes of my time. It's just generic vlogging pretending to be something else.
I didn’t even know “study-tubers” existed until I saw them mentioned on TSR a couple of weeks back.
I have no interest in them, my crippling fear of failure is sufficient motivation :s-smilie:

:rofl: :toofunny:

Original post by SuperiorPotato
U wot

OI I can barely do 30mins of revision I'm the opposite :colonhash:

Tuber as in root vegetable:colondollar:

PRSOM that’s a good one :lol:
I personally think they are trying to show their own life, not others' lives. So, if they have those possibilities or privileges, that's what they are going to show.

Plus, I think we gotta admit that almost everyone on social media, tries to portray the most perfect and glamorous side of their lives. I think that might be why we might need more diversity in the studytube community, if that's what you or anyone among the viewers have a problem with. That way, you and many many other people like will have someone relatable to watch. But I think social media just makes people only talk about the good stuff.

And often, even if the content creators themselves don't have that intention, as an audience, that is what we see it as. For example, yes, some of them do have great privileges, but really do you think they show the moments where they have failed miserably, or when they are overwhelmed with stress or other things? I mean come on the girl tried so hard, but couldn't get into Oxford. Sure Minerva is something else, but Oxford has a reputation like none other. So yeah, I think we should take everything we see on social media with filter glasses and a grain of salt.
Original post by CoolCavy

Original post by Mesopotamian.
PRSOM that’s a good one :lol:

Vulpis est salse. :cool:
Original post by CoolCavy

Tuber as in root vegetable:colondollar:

oh- OH HOW DID I MISS THAT?

Quick Reply

Latest