Anxious_Autistic
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
So I'm thinking of upgrading my laptop from DSA cause the one they have given me apparently has **** battery life. The person from the supplier i have been emailing said i need to send them the link of the laptop i want to upgrade to and then they will give me an upgrade price.

Can i have any laptop, obviously within my own budget. On the suppliers website they have a shop with 12 laptops on it, but i dont know if im meant to pick one of them or if i can pick a different one

Equally i dont know if its worth upgrading at all, the reviews of the one they have given me say the keyboard is clunky and that the battery is not very good but apart from that it seems alright. But like this laptop has to last me 3 years and the battery will only get worse as time goes on. And if the world gets back to normal it would have to last me a day of lectures, and i am doing a maths degree which is contact heavy so id being using it away from a charger a lot of the time.#

My supplier is microlink if anybody has had any experience with them and they have given me this laptop:
HP 14s-dq1504sa 14 Inch Notebook Core i5-
1035G1 8GB 256GB SSD Windows 10 Home

so if anybody can tell if that is actually suitable then that would be much appreciated.
jjbrien
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Could you post a list of the laptops they are offering as an upgrade?
I just got an upgrade laptop myself of Remtek the lenovo legion 5i. I am happy with it as it lasts a good 6 hours or more during my all day lectures on Fridays
enbeearz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hi can I ask how much extra they charged you for the upgrade to the legion 5i please?
Emma.2803
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hi,

So I’m a postgrad and am currently going through the process for the 3rd time.
So yes, you do get a laptop, you make a £200 contribution and the DSA make a £250/ £300/£350 contribution depending on your level of study, needs and software reccomendation.

You then have a choice, whether you take this laptop or upgrade. Then you have 2 options. You can buy a laptop, but you have to write to student finance England stating you will sort the laptop. Basically you can buy a laptop with student discount. But you have to buy it out right then claim back the DSA contribution. Or you can go to the supplier, and they have a choice of laptop they have in stock or are willing to source and you can pay the additional cost of the new laptop.
Be aware you will need to pay any additional money for insurance or for software that goes on another system above the cost stated on your entitlement. Also if you buy a Mac you might not be able to transfer you software so the DSA will not contribute. Also if you buy a laptop which is not better or has a worse processor than your reccomended one you will not get the contribution by DSA.
I don’t know if that helps.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.47%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (28)
16.09%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (29)
16.67%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (24)
13.79%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (47)
27.01%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.97%

Watched Threads