The Student Room Group

This discussion is no longer active so you won't be able to reply.Check out other Related discussions

Refurbished Laptops

How can I buy refurbished laptop online
Original post by calliealbert

The same way you'd buy a new laptop, but you click on one that is refurbished instead.
Ebay. Pay via paypal.

Get a full refund if the item is not as described in any way.

Read the description carefully and ask any questions before bidding or buying. What sellers don't say is as important as what they do say. EG if they don't give screen resolution assume it's only 1366 resolution, unless they can confirm it isn't.

Also consider buying laptops that aren't refurbished. Ones selling at the right price and looking in reasonable condition for the price.

Laptops are not like cars or Victorian houses. Where refurbishment tends to mean rather more than on a laptop.

Don't pay a big premium for a laptop that is described as refurbished compared to one that is not described as refurbished that is same make, model, spec and condition. Like about a £10 to £20 premium and no more.

Refirbished often means that they've simply run the onboard Bios diagnostics, put a fresh install of Windows on (which the vast majority of sellers do anyway and in any event you should reformat the hard drive and put your own Windows / Linux install on anyway for any laptop you buy, new or used) and wiped them over with furniture polish.

And congratulations on having a very wise approach to laptop buying.
Your approach is so wise that it's wiser than what you will find on the first 5 pages of results if you Google "What laptop should I buy".

Buying a used premium business laptop at the right price (and fitting an SSD if it doesn't have one) is where the real value for money and buying satisfaction is at for laptops for the majority of students.

There are an awful lot of overpriced used laptops on ebay. It's simple. Ignore them. And focus only on the ones at the right price.
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
And congratulations on having a very wise approach to laptop buying.

Your approach is so wise that it's wiser than what you will find on the first 5 pages of results if you Google "What laptop should I buy".

Well done, this made me genuinely chuckle.
(edited 3 years ago)
Erm just google 'Refurbished Laptops'???

You have a couple of options:

Look at professional resellers. These range from manufacturer outlets (for example Dell Outlet is where Dell directly sell refurbs) to store resellers. Both physical stores (e.g. Currys) and online retailers (e.g. Laptops Direct) offer dedicated refurbished laptops. You may even have a local computer shop that sells refurbished laptops, although that'll obviously give you far fewer options.

Look at random sellers on eBay, Amazon, etc. This naturally comes with increased risk. Is the person doing the refurb competent? Will you have any comeback if things go wrong? Probably not outside general eBay protections. What does their grading mean? What sort of condition is the refurb? And so on. You also have to do more work, since at a bare minimum you should be reinstalling the OS. Who knows if the eBay seller put some dodgy software on.

Refurbished is also really broad. It can mean "this laptop was returned, factory reset and sold at a discount". It can mean "this laptop is years old, and the internals have been replaced". Looking at professional resellers you're more likely to get something modern, with fewer defects (and it's easier to see based on the grading). With a reseller on eBay or similar, you're more likely to find older laptops. There's a fine line between refurbished and used, and you're typically going to cross over into used more often on eBay. It might be cheaper, on account of getting older hardware or lower quality gear. But of course you get what you pay for.

Generally it's going to be better to look at professional resellers over randoms on eBay. You'll have better protection in terms of warranty, generally less risk and the process is more standardised. To put it bluntly, if you have to ask where to buy you're probably not the sort of person that is going to be able to pick out a laptop on eBay, know what to look out for, etc. As others have said, Googling for refurbished laptops gives plenty of results.

So I'm going to assume there are follow up questions, or that you'll want some helping choosing a laptop. Which is going to depend on things like budget and what you want the laptop for. It also raises the obvious question, why are you looking at refurbished laptops in the first place?
(edited 3 years ago)
Anyone tell me about this site https://www.refurbishedlaptops.co.uk/ today i find
Anyone tell me about this site https://www.refurbishedlaptops.co.uk/ today i find

It's a site that sells refurbished laptops, and they seem to focus on stuff that's 5+ years old. A lot of very old stuff, some of it upto 10 years old so naturally quite cheap. The more modern stuff is more expensive, and in some cases you can buy a new laptop that'll be both cheaper and more powerful than the refurbished laptops they're selling. It's a bog standard refurb reseller. What do you actually want to know though?

Their prices, when you add in the VAT are above ebay levels to way above ebay levels.

I would never buy from them.

For example, they are asking for £600 plus shipping costs for Dell Latitude E7470's.

This is a great laptop. You can buy them for under £250 off ebay.

This is an example of what I would buy from ebay if I were in the market for a student laptop:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DELL-E7470-LAPTOP-WINDOWS-10-i5-6300U-2-5GHz-8GB-256GB-SSD-15-6-GRADE-B-17303/274554571578?hash=item3fecba4b3a:g:ISsAAOSwcJhfnAt4

I have bought from ebay and would do so again without hesitation.
My latest ebay IT purchase was a Cisco wireless AP that I bought for £4 plus £4.50 shipping costs. It looks like new and works fine. When new it would have retailed for £hundreds. It's just a tool for a job. And it's a commodity item. Just the same as business laptops are tools for a job and commodity items.
There is no reason to get uptight when buying Cisco networking gear from ebay. And there is no reason to get uptight when buying premium Dell or HP business laptops from ebay.

There are a lot of people that would never buy from ebay. That's fine. It keeps the prices down for those that do.

Hi,

Many online marketplace sites like Amazon, ebay, and Xfurbish offers best Refurbished Laptops with warranty options.

Latest