The Student Room Group

A levels should be cancelled.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by blackugo
Not really. Everyone would do them at the same time and if you missed the first set there was another set of different papers and in the unlikely circumstances that you missed both sets you'd get a grade from your teachers. But this would have been a minority of students.

Okay, so therefore it would need to happen similarly to these mini assessments then.
Original post by Bullseye180
No getting out of summer exams board question paper exams. They are going to be set whatever we want to call them, mini assessments, assessments, exams.... They will be sat internally but there will be uniformity of marking across all schools. I can't see them changing their minds on this.
The
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://inews.co.uk/news/education/gcses-a-levels-2021-classroom-tests-summer-term-teachers-grades-821067?mc_cid=fd69a61d5a&mc_eid=590712b9f5

Teenagers in England could be asked to sit tests in the classroom during the summer term to help decide their GCSE and A-level grades.’

Mr Geoff Barton general secretary of the Association of School and College Leaders said

“It won’t be teachers unleashed the regulator will insist on some process by which they can regulate standards to make sure there is a grade parity between an A from school one and an A from school two.”
He said this may include students sitting classroom tests similar to mocks during the summer, or having to complete coursework, with questions set by exam boards to level the playing field.

“If we’re going to retain public trust at some level, there needs to be a sense that what young people are being assessed on is not just questions made up by their teachers, but questions which an exam board has set,” he said.

-----------------------------

The coursework idea sounds genuinely sensible and plausible, so no doubt they'll go with something ridiculous
https://www.tes.com/news/pupils-could-sit-mini-exams-marked-teachers

'Pupils could sit “mini exams” marked by their teachers in place of cancelled GCSEs and A levels this summer, media reports suggest'

It's not confirmed there 'could' be 'mini exams' it's stupid they cancelled exams only to make more exams that will literally predict our grades. should've done the actual exams at this rate tbh, why cancel exams to add more mini exams that will mark our grade.
Original post by theoneyoulove

'Pupils could sit “mini exams” marked by their teachers in place of cancelled GCSEs and A levels this summer, media reports suggest'

It's not confirmed there 'could' be 'mini exams' it's stupid they cancelled exams only to make more exams that will literally predict our grades. should've done the actual exams at this rate tbh, why cancel exams to add more mini exams that will mark our grade.

The more i think about it. It was wayyy had they not cancelled exams, we were getting the topics handed to us beforehand, lenient marking from examiners and lower grade boundaries. By all means we could've carried on revising online and what not. But it is what it is tbh. Just hope all goes well for everyone this year
Original post by theoneyoulove

Well at the same time, I hardly doubt that we'd just be let off from December and not have anything to track our progress.
Wales are doing assessments too because it is actually accurate to assess the work that you're doing currently. I don't see another way to this tbh - we cannot be completely exam free.
Original post by CaptainDuckie
Aren’t these mini tests being conducted on the same day too?

apparently no
Original post by a!111ha
The more i think about it. It was wayyy had they not cancelled exams, we were getting the topics handed to us beforehand, lenient marking from examiners and lower grade boundaries. By all means we could've carried on revising online and what not. But it is what it is tbh. Just hope all goes well for everyone this year

Basically. They've probably just done this so they don't have to pay examiners and have teachers mark the exams lol.
But honestly, this isn't really a better situation. All the kids who haven't had access to online learning and have missed a lot of schools will have a lack of evidence to support their grades and any assessments they would have done they would still have been at a disadvantage. And the possibility of cheating just makes it worse. The education system is in the mud.
Original post by kittykatlover
I completely agree, having had to take ANOTHER year out, and not being able to prove myself in written exams was horrible. I wouldn't want anyone to go through it.

I can imagine the amount of work students have done for these exams and cancelling them for another year would be disastrous!

I'm in the same situation as you, I've no idea what to do now. I was also going to sit an extra A-Level as an external candidate but my centre is now not accepting them. Feels like I've wasted another year of my life.
Original post by blackugo
Basically. They've probably just done this so they don't have to pay examiners and have teachers mark the exams lol.
But honestly, this isn't really a better situation. All the kids who haven't had access to online learning and have missed a lot of schools will have a lack of evidence to support their grades and any assessments they would have done they would still have been at a disadvantage. And the possibility of cheating just makes it worse. The education system is in the mud.

Literally its in the mud ffs.
Original post by theo9743
I'm in the same situation as you, I've no idea what to do now. I was also going to sit an extra A-Level as an external candidate but my centre is now not accepting them. Feels like I've wasted another year of my life.

You don't have to make all entries at the same centre - so it might be possible to find an alternative one for the extra A level.
Original post by Compost
You don't have to make all entries at the same centre - so it might be possible to find an alternative one for the extra A level.

Fingers crossed
Original post by theo9743
Fingers crossed

Are A level exams going ahead for private candidates?

I think this newspaper article just lifted the info from the previous Times article previous posted on this thread and have added....

'IF SCHOOLS DO NOT REOPEN IN TIME students may be forced to do tests at home, according to The Sunday Times, which could raise issues in terms of them having to find a suitable area to sit the exams.'

What do they mean... if schools do not reopen in time..... what - in time for summer assessments?

Shoot me now!
Original post by Bullseye180
I think this newspaper article just lifted the info from the previous Times article previous posted on this thread and have added....

'IF SCHOOLS DO NOT REOPEN IN TIME students may be forced to do tests at home, according to The Sunday Times, which could raise issues in terms of them having to find a suitable area to sit the exams.'

What do they mean... if schools do not reopen in time..... what - in time for summer assessments?

Shoot me now!

Yes. Or they might have to shut them again if they ease restrictions. They want to get everyone vaccinated by Autumn and I think the most vulnerable by April/May ( from memory ). If they fail then maybe there is a chance they will be closed near the end of term. But I think they are being cautious.

That said doing assessments at home is just a terrible idea. At that point, you might as well give CAGs and let the teachers excrete whatever grades they want.
If these ‘mini exams’ go ahead, will they still give us advance notice of topics?
mini exams? can some one tell me the up to date info plz
Reply 3997
Original post by QWE_QWE777
mini exams? can some one tell me the up to date info plz

There was an article from The Times on Sunday saying, GCSE & A level students will be sitting mini exams set by the exam board but marked by teachers. Nothings been confirmed but The Times normally doesn’t get stuff wrong like this, but I think we find out tomorrow what the plans are. Hope that helped
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Nla_
There was an article from The Times on Sunday saying, GCSE & A level students will be sitting mini exams set by the exam board but marked by teachers. Nothings been confirmed but The Times normally doesn’t get stuff wrong like this, but I think we find out tomorrow what the plans are. Hope that helped

but people are going to cheat in class exams tho
'Mini exams' sounds dreadful!
I hope those alone don't count towards the final grade, because that'd have the same effect as just doing the exams as normal :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending