The Student Room Group

A levels should be cancelled.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Muttley79
My school is far from unique [and this is not the first school I've worked in - spent over 10 years in an EAZ ] - most schools are good and the teachers dedicated. Ofsted are hot on attendance so things HAVE changed.

Most schools are not good where I’m from, you can’t say that most schools are good in general otherwise all students would get grade 9s. All the schools in my area requires improvement. You’re lucky to live in a place with plenty of good schools and have a supply of dedicated teachers all around
Original post by blackugo
Another reason why CAGs would be terrible is that most schools are using 2019 papers as mocks not even the autumn 2020 papers. So that means there has been more time than there usually would for these papers to circulate since last years students would have also done the 2019 papers as mocks making it even easier to cheat this year.

I am still seeing too many people on TSR asking for the details to locked papers...
Original post by SparkleFace
Most schools are not good where I’m from, you can’t say that most schools are good in general otherwise all students would get grade 9s. All the schools in my area requires improvement. You’re lucky to live in a place with plenty of good schools and have a supply of dedicated teachers all around

Requires improvement = satisfactory

The only schools to avoid are those in special measures.

Requires improvement means they require improvement. They’re not ‘satisfactory’ when my school has 17% of all year 11 pupils getting grade 4 and 5s. It certainly is satisfactory for that 17%.
Requires improvement means they require improvement. They’re not ‘satisfactory’ when my school has 17% of all year 11 pupils getting grade 4 and 5s. It certainly is satisfactory for that 17%.

No you are wrong - 'requires improvement' replaced the old 'satisfactory' Ofsted ... pupil progress must be reasonable or the school would be in an Ofsted category of concern -

Unlike most students on here I agree that the majority students shouldn’t have been too disadvantaged due to lockdown.

I went to a state secondary school is special measures however I was self motivated and achieved 4 9s (in 2019 so I did actually sit my exams). Because of my teaching (or lack of) I do believe I didn’t meet my potential in all my subjects, for example in English I only achieved a 5, but overall I’m proud of my results and I was not disadvantaged by my experience at school as I could make up for it at home.

During lockdown I had contact from one teacher once a week for 20 minutes and the other two for an hour a week. I was sent some work over email/ google classroom and because I did all this and made sure I continued doing 4.5hrs per subject per week of independent study I have managed to maintain As and A*s.

However, if I hadn’t had help with my mental health or if I didn’t have access to technology and textbooks I wouldn’t be where I am. So I do see that there are students at a disadvantage - I just believe they are in the minority and with the suggestion that if people are disadvantaged they could have an asterisk next to their grades to show this I think it’s best exams go ahead.
https://www.bbc.com/news/education-55145313
I guess it’s highly unlikely for regular exams to go ahead this year
Original post by Fardin Ahmed
https://www.bbc.com/news/education-55145313
I guess it’s highly unlikely for regular exams to go ahead this year

I personally think exams will go ahead but it will be reformed. We will be graded more generously to recognise the disruption caused by the pandemic. Ive seen some news publications saying that they might even give us an advance notice of exam topics on certain subjects and allow additional supporting material, such as books into the exams. We will be getting more details in the coming days.
Exams still remain the best and fairest way to assess students and I don't want my teachers predicting my grades & potential.
No you are wrong - 'requires improvement' replaced the old 'satisfactory' Ofsted ... pupil progress must be reasonable or the school would be in an Ofsted category of concern -

Like I said. Only 17% get all grades 4 and 5s. I try my best and do my part in getting help from teachers and consolidating, but I don’t see any magical beam of light that shows that my school is good or at least doing ok. Students in my school that didn’t pass any GCSEs at all lose all that hope and trust they had in teachers, many have learning difficulties and end up doing drugs and make gangs in the deprived area where I live which is infamous for gang stabbings. Education can change a persons life and it can certainly change a whole neighbourhood. If schools just stay at ‘satisfactory’ then when will they progress? When will they increase that 17% to the national of 67%? Actually, when will the pass rate go from 67% to 100%? Please understand the frustration of many students and learn that not all schools are good in an area. An ofsted report shows how good a school and it’s staff are able to cover up all the problems of a school, not whether it’s satisfactory or needs improvement.
Like I said. Only 17% get all grades 4 and 5s. I try my best and do my part in getting help from teachers and consolidating, but I don’t see any magical beam of light that shows that my school is good or at least doing ok. Students in my school that didn’t pass any GCSEs at all lose all that hope and trust they had in teachers, many have learning difficulties and end up doing drugs and make gangs in the deprived area where I live which is infamous for gang stabbings. Education can change a persons life and it can certainly change a whole neighbourhood. If schools just stay at ‘satisfactory’ then when will they progress? When will they increase that 17% to the national of 67%? Actually, when will the pass rate go from 67% to 100%? Please understand the frustration of many students and learn that not all schools are good in an area. An ofsted report shows how good a school and it’s staff are able to cover up all the problems of a school, not whether it’s satisfactory or needs improvement.

The national average is skewed by schools that get 100% e.g. selective schools. If you've read my posts you'll see I've taught in an EAZ which was in a deprived area - we stil got some students to Oxbridge. Where did I say 'all schools were good'? Howeer there are good schools in every area ..
You will hear more info on exams tomorrow, just heard Bojo mumbling about it.
The national average is skewed by schools that get 100% e.g. selective schools. If you've read my posts you'll see I've taught in an EAZ which was in a deprived area - we stil got some students to Oxbridge. Where did I say 'all schools were good'? Howeer there are good schools in every area ..

My area doesn’t. Otherwise I would’ve applied. It was either studying at home or choosing a not so great school. I chose the latter, although it makes no difference now as I’ve been studying at home so far since my school has been closed since the half term holidays.

Ah but not everyone is in the catchment area of a good school. Both my children had to go out of area to selective schools because our catchment school is hopeless. But you do already know this in reality.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Scotney
Ah but not everyone is in the catchment area of a good school. Both my children had to go out of area to selective schools because our catchment school is hopeless. But you do already know this in reality.

So you had the choice of a good school then ... I rest my case.
So you had the choice of a good school then ... I rest my case.

I think you missed the bit about the school being selective.... not everyone can pass the exams for a selective school can they?
Original post by harrysbar
I think you missed the bit about the school being selective.... not everyone can pass the exams for a selective school can they?

I bet it wasn't the only good school around either .. the schoo the poster was in catchment for wasn't in an Ofsted category of concern either. As I'm sure you know 'requires improvement' = old satisfactory which no-one actively avoided in the past.
I bet it wasn't the only good school around either .. the schoo the poster was in catchment for wasn't in an Ofsted category of concern either. As I'm sure you know 'requires improvement' = old satisfactory which no-one actively avoided in the past.

No you’re not sure about that as you don’t know anything about the catchment area.
So this year the grades are going to just as lenient as 2020, they're telling students whats on the exam, exams are 3 weeks later. This would make exams even easier than autumn exams and the most lenient grades ever probably. What more can you ask for?
Original post by blackugo
So this year the grades are going to just as lenient as 2020, they're telling students whats on the exam, exams are 3 weeks later. This would make exams even easier than autumn exams and the most lenient grades ever probably. What more can you ask for?

Will this be the same for international alevels?
Original post by harrysbar
No you’re not sure about that as you don’t know anything about the catchment area.

Can you name one area of the country where there is ONLY a school in special measures to go to? The poster's catchment school was OK ... it was just a preference//

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending