The Student Room Group

A levels should be cancelled.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sumiizx
Students mental health is getting really bad and we are all under a lot of pressure including our teachers. there is too much to study and revise for as we missed 3 whole months of education. Students and Teachers are having nervous breakdowns and it is really stressful. Wales, Northern Ireland etc have all decided to cancel a level and gcse exams in the upcoming year. It should be done in London iswell as we are also stressed and we’ve missed out on a lot of education. There is a ridiculous amount of loss of work that we won’t get back.

Maybe the exams will just cover less.
Maybe they can provide extra lessons with later school days or Saturdays and shorter holidays?.
Maybe they they should scrap the exam and NEA then just call it the CV19 emergency assessed qualification?
Maybe they should give everyone A's.
All those in London should get A* because its soo much more stressful living near the Queen.
Start a petition and organise a march.
Reply 81
Original post by RogerOxon
The fairest option is to stick with what students have been preparing for since the start of their course - exams. There is, IMO, no reason that they cannot still happen.

Would you want to see a Doctor that knows nothing about the heart?

If only part of the syllabus is examined, then only part of a qualification can be awarded.

I see your point, but in my opinion since many people have been affected by disruption in varying ways a combination of exams and CAG would be fairer
Original post by blackugo
Teacher assessments is just never fair though. 1 exam IMO is better than teacher assessments which will be massively inflated ( looking at 2020 ). And there will be loads of bias. I'm still waiting for the result of my appeal from results day 2020..... And looking at computer science which saw a 435% increase in the number of A*s. Imagine what it would be like this year when teachers have no fear of getting downgraded and they know its basically a free for all.

The externally set exams might as well be exams. I think we all king of got click baited with that.

One solution that would lower that is having teacher provide evidence for the grade they predict - based on mocks, topic tests, end of modules, work done in class - then, like pags, exam boards can do spot checks to make sure the teachers are being fair and realistic
Reply 83
Teacher assessments is just never fair though. 1 exam IMO is better than teacher assessments which will be massively inflated ( looking at 2020 ). And there will be loads of bias. I'm still waiting for the result of my appeal from results day 2020..... And looking at computer science which saw a 435% increase in the number of A*s. Imagine what it would be like this year when teachers have no fear of getting downgraded and they know its basically a free for all.

The externally set exams might as well be exams. I think we all king of got click baited with that.

I think a combination of both CAG and standardised exams would be fair, also this year there should be stricter requirements when awarding CAG (ie schools have to provide sufficient evidence for said grade)
Original post by tltom2601
You’re acting as if a doctor will only rely on the skills and knowledge they have at A-level when in fact it is an intensive 5 year degree. If you do not cut it on the degree you do not become a doctor.

Also each year only part of the syllabus is examined what people are proposing is a way to weigh exams and teacher assessed grades - which have evidence - together to create a grade that is representative of the students abilities

But you need L3 qualifications to go to university. In regards to the last point who says that all teachers are going to bother to predict the grades accurately and fairly who says that all teachers can be bothered to mark HW, mocks etc? Some 2020 cohort pupils on here have said that (and it probably has happened) that the pupils in their school were predicted based on what university they were going to go to and/or their teachers went against Ofqual guidelines when predicting the grades.
Our school banned masks completely and I was socially distancing where it was possible - going off site at break and lunch - I did but it is still no substitute for physical teaching.

Damn your school is stupid then. They need to be reported imo.
combination of exams and CAG would be fairer

This ^^^ I think that doing the same thing as last year is wrong but having maybe 1 standardised exam per subject and using CAGs (hybrid system) may be the way to go.
Reply 85
Original post by 1st superstar
But you need L3 qualifications to go to university. In regards to the last point who says that all teachers are going to bother to predict the grades accurately and fairly who says that all teachers can be bothered to mark HW, mocks etc? Some 2020 cohort pupils on here have said that (and it probably has happened) that the pupils in their school were predicted based on what university they were going to go to and/or their teachers went against Ofqual guidelines when predicting the grades.

Damn your school is stupid then. They need to be reported imo.

This ^^^ I think that doing the same thing as last year is wrong but having maybe 1 standardised exam per subject and using CAGs (hybrid system) may be the way to go.

Also I think that is what the government are planning from what I have heard but that is just speculation.
as a class of covid-19 a-level student who had to deal with having my a-levels cancelled, i can assure you it is not what you want. your teachers WILL underestimate you and most likely give you lower grades than you could've gotten- i am absolutely gutted because i appealed twice with a lot of good evidence (including literally getting diagnosed with a chronic illness during mocks) in order to bump my given grades up but to no avail. my appeals were point bank rejected and now i cant do medicine because even if i take my a-levels in summer 2021 (which im planning on doing) i would still be regarded as a 're-sit' student by a lot of top unis. cancelling a-levels, believe it or not, has actually had devastating concequences on A LOT of students. literally all of my friends have lost uni places and opportunites becuause of the cancellation. it sounds harsh but you need to get through this and study hard to allow you and all other students to prove themselves instead of being low-balled by your school by recieving low grades by teachers who want to guarantee the top A* minority students secure their A*s by giving everyone else lower than what they are capable of getting.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by AI03
Also I think that is what the government are planning from what I have heard but that is just speculation.

That's good then as long as we don't get the same thing as last year and everyone this year sits some form of standardised test (idc how the test is done).
You’re acting as if a doctor will only rely on the skills and knowledge they have at A-level when in fact it is an intensive 5 year degree.

You missed the point. If you haven't been tested on all the syllabus, then your shouldn't get a full qualification.

Also each year only part of the syllabus is examined what people are proposing is a way to weigh exams and teacher assessed grades - which have evidence - together to create a grade that is representative of the students abilities

If they haven't covered the whole syllabus, they shouldn't get the whole qualification.

Original post by AI03
I see your point, but in my opinion since many people have been affected by disruption in varying ways a combination of exams and CAG would be fairer

CAGs are known to be inaccurate, which is why there was an attempt to correct them. Unfortunately, it wasn't allowed to stand, despite being demonstrably closer to what we see with exams (albeit with some issues).

It really doesn't matter how people have been affected. Sympathy does not require us to award qualifications for which they haven't demonstrated the ability and knowledge. Sympathy isn't going to help them understand university courses ..
Original post by cherrybunny
as a class of covid-19 a-level student who had to deal with having my a-levels cancelled, i can assure you it is not what you want. your teachers WILL underestimate you and most likely give you lower grades than you could've gotten

Well, on the whole, they will overestimate some and underestimate a few. But those who were given grades they don't feel were good may never know what they would have gotten and are overshadowed by the students who were celebrating getting their inflated grades after the U-Turn.
Well, on the whole, they will overestimate some and underestimate a few. But those who were given grades they don't feel were good may never know what they would have gotten and are overshadowed by the students who were celebrating getting their inflated grades after the U-Turn.

the fact of the matter is that with the cancellation of my exams, it meant that thousands of students were left losing their opporunites thanks to teachers under-predicting them. i accept that MY a-levels NEEDED to be cancelled, but i am here saying that next years exams should not be cancelled as it literally isn't necessary to cancel them, and for them to be cancelled would cause a lot of sad and unncessary concequences for many students.
Original post by sumiizx
Students mental health is getting really bad and we are all under a lot of pressure including our teachers. there is too much to study and revise for as we missed 3 whole months of education. Students and Teachers are having nervous breakdowns and it is really stressful. Wales, Northern Ireland etc have all decided to cancel a level and gcse exams in the upcoming year. It should be done in London iswell as we are also stressed and we’ve missed out on a lot of education. There is a ridiculous amount of loss of work that we won’t get back.

no pls istg, i am not going from my predicted grades when i know i can do so much better
Overall, i think it'd be more beneficially if exams were to continue. Im really hoping they do lol my teachers think I'm going to get A*AAB but i think i can get 4A*s.
the fact of the matter is that with the cancellation of my exams, it meant that thousands of students were left losing their opporunites thanks to teachers under-predicting them. i accept that MY a-levels NEEDED to be cancelled, but i am here saying that next years exams should not be cancelled as it literally isn't necessary to cancel them, and for them to be cancelled would cause a lot of sad and unncessary concequences for many students.

Will also lead to overinflated grades.
Reply 94
Original post by RogerOxon
You missed the point. If you haven't been tested on all the syllabus, then your shouldn't get a full qualification.

If they haven't covered the whole syllabus, they shouldn't get the whole qualification.

CAGs are known to be inaccurate, which is why there was an attempt to correct them. Unfortunately, it wasn't allowed to stand, despite being demonstrably closer to what we see with exams (albeit with some issues).

It really doesn't matter how people have been affected. Sympathy does not require us to award qualifications for which they haven't demonstrated the ability and knowledge. Sympathy isn't going to help them understand university courses ..

Personally, I think it is important to look at things in context, those with the ability may not have been provided with the suitable resources to access the work (which means they haven't been given an equal opportunity), if they are able to show ability and knowledge through their previous pieces of work over the course then shouldn't that be taken into account? In terms of university courses, I am sure if someone who would've gotten a B if they had sat the exam but is given a CAG of A and then they work hard will understand the course otherwise they will fail/drop out. We are not talking about people with U's and E's suddenly getting places at uni
Original post by Muttley79
No - I'm a teacher and it's not that bad. I know a lot of other teachers and you are over stating the issue. Why did you miss three months of education; didn't you do the work you were set? We taught online [state school] and we are where we should be at the moment.

Ah, that's why I keep seeing you in so many study help posts. Didn't know you were a teacher
Original post by 1st superstar
Will also lead to overinflated grades.

well that's just part of the problem with cancelling exams, isn't it?
as a class of covid-19 a-level student who had to deal with having my a-levels cancelled, i can assure you it is not what you want. your teachers WILL underestimate you and most likely give you lower grades than you could've gotten- i am absolutely gutted because i appealed twice with a lot of good evidence (including literally getting diagnosed with a chronic illness during mocks) in order to bump my given grades up but to no avail. my appeals were point bank rejected and now i cant do medicine because even if i take my a-levels in summer 2021 (which im planning on doing) i would still be regarded as a 're-sit' student by a lot of top unis. cancelling a-levels, believe it or not, has actually had devastating concequences on A LOT of students. literally all of my friends have lost uni places and opportunites becuause of the cancellation. it sounds harsh but you need to get through this and study hard to allow you and all other students to prove themselves instead of being low-balled by your school by recieving low grades by teachers who want to guarantee the top A* minority students secure their A*s by giving everyone else lower than what they are capable of getting.

Completely sympathise for your situation and I’m in a similar situation, but a lot good medical schools don consider resits, and there’s no “top” medical school anyway so it doesn’t matter too much where u go.
Did you not reapply this cycle then?
Our school banned masks completely and I was socially distancing where it was possible - going off site at break and lunch - I did but it is still no substitute for physical teaching.

Banned masks??? Bruh. That is just incompetence.
One solution that would lower that is having teacher provide evidence for the grade they predict - based on mocks, topic tests, end of modules, work done in class - then, like pags, exam boards can do spot checks to make sure the teachers are being fair and realistic

I disagree. There isn't a need for a teacher to provide a grade. As long as there is something for the teacher to assess there is something that the exam can assess and the exam is unbiased.

Whatever content is included in your mocks and topic tests can be on the exam. People won't be happy if their mock grades get downgraded. Everyone that has completed x module in that year should be given the same exam. With different mock papers, there is different difficulties, different marking standards, and some topic tests are peer marked, different schools have different numbers of mocks or are taken at different times. It doesn't really solve the problem at all. They have to be standardised or moderated. The schools were meant to provide evidence last time.

The most thorough way to assure standard is an exam and there is no reason why students can't be assessed on what they have covered. Teachers giving CAGs ontop of exam grades is pointless unless you have seriously been affected by covid in terms of health or loss.
well that's just part of the problem with cancelling exams, isn't it?

Yep that's exactly what I am saying but I don't think that cancelling exams last year was bad for everyone. I think that too many people last year got grades that they hadn't gotten before/rarely e.g an A/A* student being predicted a B or Jonny being able to go to uni because his D's were bumped up to A's due to their teachers over-predicting them etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending