The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Why are ICL/UCL/LSE/LBS postgrad applicants UNFAIRLY SIDELINED in favor of Oxbridge?

UCL is always ranked Europe's #1 Research / Scientific university by almost every single ranking there is. Just a few days ago, US News released it's latest ranking. UCL beat Cambridge on every single scientific or academic measure and is:

- 4th in the world for publications
- 4th in the world for books
- 5th in the world for citations/references
- 5th in the world for number of publications that are among the 10% most cited

Yet this forum for postgrads like MPhil & PhD aspirants does not make UCL application threads sticky while Oxbridge threads continue to be sticky.

LSE has been producing higher quality research for years, but they face the same kind of discrimination.

LBS graduates always earn more than Oxbridge grads, yet they are unfairly sidelined.

Imperial is way better at what it does yet it is treated as 2nd class.

Spoiler

:rolleyes:
why beat a dead horse

listen to elsa and let it go
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 2
Original post by stereotypeasian
:rolleyes:why beat a dead horselisten to elsa and let it go

It's disgusting how you try to normalize unfair discrimination/bullying and perpetuate it.

There's NO REASON why Oxbridge threads should be sticky and other top uni (WHICH ARE BETTER AT THE POSTGRAD LEVEL BY EVERY RANKING) threads should not.
Original post by tsrholicc
It's disgusting how you try to normalize unfair discrimination/bullying and perpetuate it.

There's NO REASON why Oxbridge threads should be sticky and other top uni (WHICH ARE BETTER AT THE POSTGRAD LEVEL BY EVERY RANKING) threads should not.

wait.
you are offended over a sticky..........
lmfao 😅 😂 🤣
(edited 3 years ago)
God I'm tired of these rants. And that's from someone who has applied to UCL and Imperial for post-grad and didn't want to go to Oxbridge. Have you tried therapy?
Reply 5
This is too uninteresting to be bait. Nobody cares. Not even you. You don't care.
Reply 6
There's absolutely NO REASON for Oxbridge threads to be given special treatment on a postgrad forum when they're inferior at postgraduate /scientific research than other unis.

Even when student satisfaction & similar undergrad factors are taken into account Imperial & UCL are in the top 10-20 unis worldwide, and LSE & LBS are the best for their fields.

There's NO REASON to tag only these Oxbridge threads at the top. In fact, it's a terrible thing to do because it wrongly makes better unis and their graduates look inferior.

It's like an apartheid of sorts.
You need to find a new thing to troll about. This is get old/ boring.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 8
Apartheid is an Afrikaans word meaning "separateness", or "the state of being apart", literally "apart-hood" (from Afrikaans "-heid"). Its first recorded use was in 1929. It is not just used for the South African policy. In fact, Oxbridge have been accused of apartheid a plethora of times!! Just google "oxford apartheid" or "oxbridge apartheid".

It's ridiculous and RUINS THE FUTURES of millions of people!!
Reply 9
Been about 2 days and still not a single humane response or even an intellectual response for that matter. There is NO REASON for discriminating against better research/scientific universities in favor of Oxbridge.

Come on mods, remove those sticky Oxbridge threads that give a dangerous and disgustingly false impression. You are killing innovation and this ANTI-SCIENCE agenda needs to stop now.

Yes, you can PM me with any questions.
you need to chill
Reply 11
Original post by Medi-cry
you need to chill

This is really as blatant as discrimination can get in 2020.

Who would've thought TSR has an anti-excellence agenda?! Looks like this is run by Oxbridge grads and they won't remove those dangerously misleading and harmful sticky threads
This is really as blatant as discrimination can get in 2020.

I cant tell if this is sarcastic, but If its not I advise you go out into the real world where you will find some actual problems with society
This might sound like a radical idea, but you should probably have read those stickies before making this post. One of them (shockingly) contains the answer to your question (this one):
LSE, Imperial and other top UK universities are not included in this post due to the fact that it is much easier to search for ‘Oxbridge’ than it is to look for each university’s name individually. Furthermore it is specifically Oxford and Cambridge that are the objects of most yearnings, ‘twould seem.
Reply 14
Original post by Theloniouss
This might sound like a radical idea, but you should probably have read those stickies before making this post. One of them (shockingly) contains the answer to your question (this one):

Much easier to search for Oxbridge? This is nonsense and wrong on many levels. For example:

- Simply typing in LSE on google produces about 15 times the results of Oxbridge.
- People outside the UK don't know what Oxbridge means. A huge % of postgrads are non-UK.

Most yearnings? Again, ABSOLUTE NONSENSE and a dangerous, fabricated lie SEEMINGLY FOR THE PURPOSES OF APARTHEID. The UCL receives a lot more applications than Oxbridge and even a small uni like LSE receives significantly more than Oxford or Cambridge. In 2019, LSE alone received over 42000 applications while Oxford only got about 30000.

Better unis deserve recognition. Oxford could stay with the top London unis but Cambridge definitely needs to go if there's no space because of its inferior research and application numbers.

Remove these remnants of apartheid TSR! Let superior unis shine
Much easier to search for Oxbridge? This is nonsense and wrong on many levels. For example:

- Simply typing in LSE on google produces about 15 times the results of Oxbridge.
- People outside the UK don't know what Oxbridge means. A huge % of postgrads are non-UK.

Most yearnings? Again, ABSOLUTE NONSENSE and a dangerous, fabricated lie SEEMINGLY FOR THE PURPOSES OF APARTHEID. The UCL receives a lot more applications than Oxbridge and even a small uni like LSE receives significantly more than Oxford or Cambridge. In 2019, LSE alone received over 42000 applications while Oxford only got about 30000.

Better unis deserve recognition. Oxford could stay with the top London unis but Cambridge definitely needs to go if there's no space because of its inferior research and application numbers.

Remove these remnants of apartheid TSR! Let superior unis shine

you need to chill
Reply 16
Original post by Medi-cry
you need to chill

We can all chill once the apartheid ends. You want me to chill so bad?

Remove those highly discriminatory sticky threads and I'll chill. Give better universities the recognition they deserve and I'll chill. Stop apartheid loving users and moderators from saying what they say and I'll chill.

I have also proved the basis for putting them there as 100% FAKE FALSE INACCURATE.

REMOVE THOSE THREADS TSR!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending