The Student Room Group

Infinite sequence proof

Can anyone help me answer this please-
Prove that no number in the infinite sequence 10,110,210,310,410... can be written in the form a^n where a is an integer and n is an integer > or equal to 2
What have you tried? Where are you stuck?
Reply 2
I don’t even know where to start tbh
Original post by bleepsheep
I don’t even know where to start tbh

Can you find the nth term of the sequence?
Reply 4
It’s 100n-90
Original post by bleepsheep
It’s 100n-90

Can you write that in the form a^n?
Reply 6
say any number in the sequence can be expressed via the general expression 100m-90
this is equal to 10(10m-9)
which is equal to 5*2(10m-9)
whatever m is equal to, the term will have differing prime factors (5 and 2) within it.
Therefore, no term can be expressed via a^n as a cannot be 5 and 2 simultaneously.
Reply 7
Original post by Theloniouss
Can you write that in the form a^n?

I can’t find how to. I’m a bit lost now sorry
Reply 8
Original post by jebjeb27
say any number in the sequence can be expressed via the general expression 100m-90
this is equal to 10(10m-9)
which is equal to 5*2(10m-9)
whatever m is equal to, the term will have differing prime factors (5 and 2) within it.
Therefore, no term can be expressed via a^n as a cannot be 5 and 2 simultaneously.

You're told that a is an integer, not that it's prime, so it could be 5 x 2 =10. However, it's not difficult to patch this up correctly.
Reply 9
Original post by davros
You're told that a is an integer, not that it's prime, so it could be 5 x 2 =10. However, it's not difficult to patch this up correctly.

Oh yeah my bad, how could I correct this?
Original post by jebjeb27
Oh yeah my bad, how could I correct this?

How often will either (prime) factor appear (the exponent) in each element in the sequence.

Quick Reply

Latest