If you were to choose another career outside of medicine what would it be?

Watch
MedicZd
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I know the popular choices for medics are things like pharma and management consultancy. But I really want to know what careers people are interested in outside of medicine.

So what would you do if you weren't a doctor?

Or what career interests you, even if you wouldn't technically do it yourself.
Chief Wiggum
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Law, possibly?
junior.doctor
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Possibly linguistics, just because it's another niche interest of mine... No idea really though. Much as I enjoy moaning about my job now and then, I don't think there's anything else that I'd genuinely rather do.
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Um, maybe clinical psychology? If we're going outside healthcare completely, maybe Classics (academia or teaching).
Angury
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Law all the way.
Marathi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Maybe being a police detective or something within law.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
As in, I'm quitting medicine now? Probably something where my medicine experience will count. Pharma, digital health etc.

Back when I was starting uni? Dunno, architecture seems pretty cool. Engineering maybe.
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I can think of lots of degrees I'd like to do but I really struggle to think of jobs outside of medicine which would keep me interested for 40+ years.

Pilot maybe?
seaholme
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Either software engineering (although I dunno if I'm smart enough, but would be amazing to be able to do something creative) or something in the Civil Service (ideally creative solutions based). The one thing I resent about medicine is that it doesn't really welcome freedom of thought or creativity. It's all (understandably) about evidence based facts, and then repetition based off said evidence/guidelines/stats, but if I'm honest that's not really how I prefer to operate. I find it simultaneously very effortful to absorb and follow all the rules, and also actually recognise that what I really enjoy, is creative problem solving. Having said that, medicine does allow for a *small* amount of limited personal creativity, at least when it comes to communicating with patients. That gives a few morsels of individuality, and I think I've found myself heading down routes that allow for building strong relationships with patients because that's the only place to really exercise it.
molmolmoll
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Definitely criminal law
girl_in_black
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I'd be a postie
lyra1987
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
At this point the thought of small bookshop owner A La Bernard Black is seeming rather appealing. That or Hermit on a remote Scottish Island attempting the good-life.

As for actual career...maybe join the police.
A_J_B
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by MedicZd)
I know the popular choices for medics are things like pharma and management consultancy. But I really want to know what careers people are interested in outside of medicine.

So what would you do if you weren't a doctor?

Or what career interests you, even if you wouldn't technically do it yourself.
Maybe economics or Aviation (yes I'm kind of an aviation geek)
asif007
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
If I could get into a good uni I would have gone for Business Management and worked in a corporate job or become an entrepreneur. Or Law to become a barrister defending doctors against the GMC/HEE and medical students against dismissal. All things that are still open to doctors so maybe I will try them out in the future.
bfm.mcdermott
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Archaeology and Anthropology.
I actually got as close as getting an offer for Archaeology and Anthropology (as a course-change after getting rejected from Medicine at one of my UCAS choices)...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (294)
55.79%
I don't have everything I need (233)
44.21%

Watched Threads