Should I apply for uni this year if I'm doing a gap year?

Watch
pompom36
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I'm planning on taking a gap year next year but I'm not sure if I should still apply for uni this year just in case I change my mind so I still have the option available, and if I was accepted, if I should defer my entry for next year or reapply next year? Or if I should just not apply at all this year and apply next year? I'm 99% sure I want to do a gap year but my parents recommended that I applied this year just so I have the option available if I change my mind, but this adds a lot of stress due to having to apply this year. Any advice?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Yes - you should apply this year for deferred entry while you have the full support from your school/college.
If you're not successful in getting the offers you want this year or you change you mind then you can always reapply during your gap year and use the experience of this year to help make things easier (instead of doing your first application on your own without the help of your teachers)
Admit-One
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Agree completely with PQ's post.
pompom36
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Yes - you should apply this year for deferred entry while you have the full support from your school/college.
If you're not successful in getting the offers you want this year or you change you mind then you can always reapply during your gap year and use the experience of this year to help make things easier (instead of doing your first application on your own without the help of your teachers)
Thanks for the advice! Do you think I should apply for 2022 and write about how I'm planning to take a gap year in my personal statement, or apply for this year, not mention a gap year, and then defer it for next year if I'm accepted? If I do the second option then it'll give me the option to go to uni next year in case change my mind, but I'm not sure it deferring it for next year will give me a lower chance of being accepted again that applying for the year after now.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by pompom36)
Thanks for the advice! Do you think I should apply for 2022 and write about how I'm planning to take a gap year in my personal statement, or apply for this year, not mention a gap year, and then defer it for next year if I'm accepted? If I do the second option then it'll give me the option to go to uni next year in case change my mind, but I'm not sure it deferring it for next year will give me a lower chance of being accepted again that applying for the year after now.
Apply this year for deferred entry from the start if you’re planning to take a gap year. You don’t need to explain why you want a gap year in your PS.

It’s easy enough to ask universities to un-defer your offer if you decide to start in 2021 instead. Don’t try to play games with your application - apply for what you want to do and when you want to start up front.
pompom36
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Apply this year for deferred entry from the start if you’re planning to take a gap year. You don’t need to explain why you want a gap year in your PS.

It’s easy enough to ask universities to un-defer your offer if you decide to start in 2021 instead. Don’t try to play games with your application - apply for what you want to do and when you want to start up front.
Okay will do, thanks for the advice!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (54)
16.98%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (91)
28.62%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (119)
37.42%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (43)
13.52%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.46%

Watched Threads