Confused about isotopes and what makes them unstable/stable

Watch
Skellibog
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I just need some clarification because im slightly confused,
Can I change the number of neutrons of an element to any number for it to become an isotope?
How do I know what isotopes are radioactive? What makes an isotope stable even??
Tbbay
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Isotopes are atoms of an element which have the same number of protons but a different number of neutrons in their nuclei. So, theoretically speaking, you can come up with an infinite number of isotopes as long as you vary the neutron number to infinity. As to whether such an atom exists in reality is another question.
Isotopes that have a very unstable nuclei due to the unbalance of the number of neutrons and protons achieve stability by shedding particles and energy, and in the process, becoming radioactive.
As for determining the stability of the isotope, this website explains everything in great detail. Do give it a read.
https://chem.libretexts.org/Bookshel..._Magic_Numbers
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (8)
14.55%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (13)
23.64%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (4)
7.27%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (8)
14.55%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (4)
7.27%
I think it's an unfair expectation (16)
29.09%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
3.64%

Watched Threads