relative atomic mass confused...a level chem

Watch
username3477548
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
this is the definition on my teachers ppt:
the relative atomic mass of an element is the average mass of its atoms, compared to 1/12th the relative atomic mass of a carbon-12 atom.

wth i dont understand how the relative atomic mass is relative to the relative mass of something else lol :/
CaptainDuckie
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Lmaooooooo
CaptainDuckie
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Sorry I had to laugh 😂😂😂
CaptainDuckie
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Your teacher is correct😂
elliemcg24
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by vix.xvi)
the relative atomic mass of an element is the average mass of its atoms, compared to 1/12th the relative atomic mass of a carbon-12 atom.

wth i dont understand how the relative atomic mass is relative to the relative mass of something else lol :/
aha I get the confusion too dw
Basically, the mass of an element is on a scale where 1 atom of carbon-12 (the isotope is the C-12 bit) is 12
Dexter345
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Just memorise the definition
username3477548
Rep:
?
(Original post by elliemcg24)
aha I get the confusion too dw
Basically, the mass of an element is on a scale where 1 atom of carbon-12 (the isotope is the C-12 bit) is 12
ooh ok i sort of get it thanks

(Original post by CaptainDuckie)
Lmaooooooo
lol whats so funny

(Original post by Dexter345)
Just memorise the definition
but i want to understand it too
CaptainDuckie
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
lol whats so funny
It’s just the way I read it, my bad 😂😂

Yeah, just memorise the definition tbh, there’s not much they’re going to test you on this
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago

The atomic mass unit (aka Dalton, often written as 'u') is defined as 1/12th of the mass of a carbon nucleus. This is about 1.66*10-27 kg, slightly less than the mass of an individual proton or neutron thanks to nuclear binding energy. Atomic mass is defined relative to that specific mass.
username3477548
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
The atomic mass unit (aka Dalton, often written as 'u') is defined as 1/12th of the mass of a carbon nucleus. This is about 1.66*10-27 kg, slightly less than the mass of an individual proton or neutron thanks to nuclear binding energy. Atomic mass is defined relative to that specific mass.
oohh

thank you!!
dogsandme
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago

basically, because atoms are so small, you would want to compare it to something. like for example, if someone asked you for the size of an ant, you would rather say that it was 1000 times smaller than a mouse, rather than the actual size of the ant. The same applies to elements. because carbon 12 weighs exactly 12 grams, you can easily just say that for one unit of it, we can calculate the mass of the rest of the atoms relative to it. for example, oxygen weighs 16 grams, and carbon weighs exactly 12 grams, so that means if you take exactly 1 unit of that 12 grams of carbon, we could multiply it by 16 to get 16. but obviously, some atoms have isotopes and the mass would vary, but we still compare it to carbon 12.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (21)
13.73%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.23%
I need help with filling out the application form (8)
5.23%
I need help with my personal statement (65)
42.48%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (36)
23.53%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.96%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (12)
7.84%

Watched Threads