University stressing me out (help)

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I feel like my university if setting me too much work to do , since everything is online now I have to make notes from powerpoints every day

these powerpoints all happen to have 60 or so slides in them and the annoying thing is we're suppose to make notes on them BEFORE THE ONLINE LECTURE which is really annoying because the online lecture just consists of a QNA session for the slides to revise before the lecture. But if I havent made notes before hand then the lecture is virtually worthless to me

So i'm sitting here with lectures tomorrow having to make notes on 4x50-60 slides a day (200-240 slides of factual information) a day to write down. I also have coursework to do daily for the course which takes up a good chunk of time to stay on target with deadline and obviously other uni requirements like cooking and cleaning and i am overwhelmed completely

is any other unis experiencing this or is it just mine in particular , are there any tips I can use to get this work done soon , any help appreciated
Anonymous #1
bump
Anonymous #1
anyone ?
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I feel like my university if setting me too much work to do , since everything is online now I have to make notes from powerpoints every day

these powerpoints all happen to have 60 or so slides in them and the annoying thing is we're suppose to make notes on them BEFORE THE ONLINE LECTURE which is really annoying because the online lecture just consists of a QNA session for the slides to revise before the lecture. But if I havent made notes before hand then the lecture is virtually worthless to me

So i'm sitting here with lectures tomorrow having to make notes on 4x50-60 slides a day (200-240 slides of factual information) a day to write down. I also have coursework to do daily for the course which takes up a good chunk of time to stay on target with deadline and obviously other uni requirements like cooking and cleaning and i am overwhelmed completely

is any other unis experiencing this or is it just mine in particular , are there any tips I can use to get this work done soon , any help appreciated
Hi!

I'm so sorry to hear this.
I have friends who have this type of workload and I do sometimes too. I know I struggled slightly when I first started uni.
What I find helpful is just printing off the slides and making notes at the side. This means that you're not wasting time just copying things down and you have time to think about what you are learning.
I would speak to your uni or course leader about this. They may be able to offer you some support, like ink for a printer or software to make notetaking quicker and simpler for you (this usually can be found on an additional support team at your uni).
On a side note, bulk cooking and setting a time to clean can be helpful and it just takes time to settle into a routine. I know it took me a while to stick to a weekly routine. I find writing out a timetable for the week really helpful, so I feel more organised, even note what you'll have for dinner so you know what you need to buy and use from the supermarket.
Please do accept all the support you can from your uni.

I hope this helps!
Chloe - Official Student Rep
Anonymous #1
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hi!

I'm so sorry to hear this.
I have friends who have this type of workload and I do sometimes too. I know I struggled slightly when I first started uni.
What I find helpful is just printing off the slides and making notes at the side. This means that you're not wasting time just copying things down and you have time to think about what you are learning.
I would speak to your uni or course leader about this. They may be able to offer you some support, like ink for a printer or software to make notetaking quicker and simpler for you (this usually can be found on an additional support team at your uni).
On a side note, bulk cooking and setting a time to clean can be helpful and it just takes time to settle into a routine. I know it took me a while to stick to a weekly routine. I find writing out a timetable for the week really helpful, so I feel more organised, even note what you'll have for dinner so you know what you need to buy and use from the supermarket.
Please do accept all the support you can from your uni.

I hope this helps!
Chloe - Official Student Rep
Hi chloe

that is a good shout about printing by my uni library is currently closed admist the lockdown and i dont have a printer in my student halls, I will contact my head of course if there's anything i can do
Arden University
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago

Hey,

Are you lectures recorded in case you cannot make them? This might help you pace them slightly and not pressurise you to get everything done in a time limit. Also do contact your lectures/student support to let them know, they may be able to change the way things are being done and you are probably not alone in this issue. Do you have contact with your class mates, maybe you could form a study group and bounce ideas off of each other? Most importantly remember to take time for yourself, give yourself a break and do something non uni related that you enjoy, if you don't get something done, don't worry - you will when the time is right :-) (the advice I give myself all the time.)

Abigail
Arden University Student Ambassador
Catherine1973
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I print my slides out pre lecture, 3 to a page with notes space beside then (an option in PowerPoint). I got a cheap laser printer a while ago, is a godsend.
Then make notes on that with pens during the lecture (some live, some pre recorded)
But we don’t need to do any work before the lecture, it’s very much lecture kicks it off, then reading on top of it. I’d not understand the reading if I didn’t gave the simpler lecture/slides first.
mike23mike
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago

A typical 10-credit module equates to 100 hours of work with a split of 20 hours of taught classes and 80 hours of private study. You need to check out the module outline to find out the exact hours (22:78 or 25:75 etc) Your uni is using a 'flipped class' approach by asking you to do the work before the lecture - the flip. Hence the lecture becomes more of a facilitated discussion. This approach can be used for face-to-face or online teaching.

If you feel that you are getting less than 20 hours per 10-credit module of lecture time - a zoom call with the teacher - then you need to raise a complaint with your student rep since your uni may be selling you short and dumping all the work on you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (31)
14.22%
Virtual campus tours/open days (49)
22.48%
Live streaming events (21)
9.63%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (21)
9.63%
A uni comparison tool (48)
22.02%
An in-person event when available (48)
22.02%