The Student Room Group

potential careers based on interests? sustainability; mental wellbeing; social issues

Hi!

Wondering if anyone had any ideas of what I could do with the above interests? To expand, my three 'passions' are the environment, esp. sustainability, mental wellbeing (I have struggled with depression and anxiety, and I feel so strongly that everyone deserves support for these problems) and finally social issues - racism, ableism, pretty wide-ranging but centering on equal opportunities and tackling social divisions. Hope that's not too broad!

Side note - I did go to university to study sociology, but for some reason I found it way too stressful, so can't really see myself going going back there. (Trying to stay positive and pray that I can do something I love without a degree qualification!)

As I said, I don't have a degree - and my subjects at A level haven't really given me a sense of direction. Have struggled to feel interested in the jobs like marketing, PR, etc. that people come up with - the job descriptions just don't excite me. I think I'm more driven by my values, and the kind of 'beliefs' that underlie a career path - if that makes sense! However I'm trying to be more open, as I realise I might be able to incorporate some of my interests into these jobs. (E.g. working in marketing for an environmentally conscious company.)

Any ideas welcome - I still have a long way to go in figuring things out for myself, but I don't really know where to start, and may or may not be slightly overwhelmed haha!) If nothing else, it's an interesting conversation how we decide on a career based on our skills, hobbies, or values... Would be really interested in anyone's ideas if this strikes a chord :smile:
Reply 1
so first of all. I don't really have much knowledge about environment or anything. I'm currently in 12th grade and I'm about to pursue Computer Science, th main reason, not cuz I want to become some super geeky coder or developer, just cuz I enjoyed math and CS in school and I liked some of its fields ik. So I believe that we don't really know all the aspects and fields of a particular interest or subject. Even college is a place where we're supposed to explore the field or subject that we like the most. My advice to u is, just figure out if favourite subject or interest (only one) and continue in that field. you'll figure out what u wanna do later I'm sure. This is what I believe.😁
Reply 2
s

Original post by Suarev
so first of all. I don't really have much knowledge about environment or anything. I'm currently in 12th grade and I'm about to pursue Computer Science, th main reason, not cuz I want to become some super geeky coder or developer, just cuz I enjoyed math and CS in school and I liked some of its fields ik. So I believe that we don't really know all the aspects and fields of a particular interest or subject. Even college is a place where we're supposed to explore the field or subject that we like the most. My advice to u is, just figure out if favourite subject or interest (only one) and continue in that field. you'll figure out what u wanna do later I'm sure. This is what I believe.😁

Sounds like you're on a good track! Best of luck :smile:
Original post by millie.s
Hi!

Wondering if anyone had any ideas of what I could do with the above interests? To expand, my three 'passions' are the environment, esp. sustainability, mental wellbeing (I have struggled with depression and anxiety, and I feel so strongly that everyone deserves support for these problems) and finally social issues - racism, ableism, pretty wide-ranging but centering on equal opportunities and tackling social divisions. Hope that's not too broad!

Side note - I did go to university to study sociology, but for some reason I found it way too stressful, so can't really see myself going going back there. (Trying to stay positive and pray that I can do something I love without a degree qualification!)

As I said, I don't have a degree - and my subjects at A level haven't really given me a sense of direction. Have struggled to feel interested in the jobs like marketing, PR, etc. that people come up with - the job descriptions just don't excite me. I think I'm more driven by my values, and the kind of 'beliefs' that underlie a career path - if that makes sense! However I'm trying to be more open, as I realise I might be able to incorporate some of my interests into these jobs. (E.g. working in marketing for an environmentally conscious company.)

Any ideas welcome - I still have a long way to go in figuring things out for myself, but I don't really know where to start, and may or may not be slightly overwhelmed haha!) If nothing else, it's an interesting conversation how we decide on a career based on our skills, hobbies, or values... Would be really interested in anyone's ideas if this strikes a chord :smile:

Hey hey @millie.s! I'm not sure if anything I say will give you any massive inspiration here but I love your passion and enthusiasm which is why I've dropped in :smile:

I think what *might* be key for you is finding a career path that will provide a lot of professional support in terms of letting you progress without qualifications. Look for companies that have a really strong corporate culture, and maybe start at entry level and aim to work your way up as you go along. You might want to make this one of your key questions when you have interviews- "How will your company help me further myself and progress in my career path? Are there opportunities for me to train and gain qualifications in this role?"

As for potential areas to go down, maybe something like HR could be suited to you? There are loads of different branches of the HR functions in the workplace- from interviewing and training to supporting employee's mental heath and wellbeing. I think this could tick some of the boxes you're looking at. It seems to me like you're a real people person and would thrive in a role which is people facing and interactive in that sense :colondollar: You could also look at working in the Education sector? There are so many roles you could get involved in which are all about supporting others and helping them progress, such as Widening Participation and Student Support. Quite a lot of institutions will offer programmes you can apply to such as Modern Apprenticeships which you don't need a degree for.

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Reply 4
Original post by University of Strathclyde
Hey hey @millie.s! I'm not sure if anything I say will give you any massive inspiration here but I love your passion and enthusiasm which is why I've dropped in :smile:

I think what *might* be key for you is finding a career path that will provide a lot of professional support in terms of letting you progress without qualifications. Look for companies that have a really strong corporate culture, and maybe start at entry level and aim to work your way up as you go along. You might want to make this one of your key questions when you have interviews- "How will your company help me further myself and progress in my career path? Are there opportunities for me to train and gain qualifications in this role?"

As for potential areas to go down, maybe something like HR could be suited to you? There are loads of different branches of the HR functions in the workplace- from interviewing and training to supporting employee's mental heath and wellbeing. I think this could tick some of the boxes you're looking at. It seems to me like you're a real people person and would thrive in a role which is people facing and interactive in that sense :colondollar: You could also look at working in the Education sector? There are so many roles you could get involved in which are all about supporting others and helping them progress, such as Widening Participation and Student Support. Quite a lot of institutions will offer programmes you can apply to such as Modern Apprenticeships which you don't need a degree for.

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep

Hi Caitlin, sorry for not replying before but I got locked out of my account! I do appreciate your thoughts and will definitely take a look into all that you suggested :smile:

Also definitely a good point about roles that offer progression! Will keep that in mind, so thank you!

-Millie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending