The Student Room Group

Cancelling A-Levels in England

A-levels have been cancelled in Wales, do you think England will make the same decision?
just jinxing it on TSR lol
Original post by Penny456
A-levels have been cancelled in Wales, do you think England will make the same decision?

Not if Gavin Williamson and Kier Starmer keep to their word.
Reply 3
Original post by stereotypeasian
just jinxing it on TSR lol

I'm just wondering what everyones opinions are all my friends are divided lmao
I'm just wondering what everyones opinions are all my friends are divided lmao

I'd imagine the government to be put under pressure after Wales announcement and Scotland removing National 5s (so your GCSEs basically)
Where Wales goes, Westminster follows.

Spoiler

Julia Hartley Brewer was on the radio. Her daughter who she sends to public school to study for A levels was having 5 or 6hrs of zoom lessons a day throughout lock down.
My daughter who attends a very good local High School had 4 zoom lessons throughout the whole of lock down. Her experience is far from unusual.
Reply 7
Original post by BrowniesMorgan
Where Wales goes, Westminster follows.

Spoiler

I really hope they don't get cancelled because that'll just put pressure on us for our mocks in Feb
Reply 8
Original post by caravaggio2
Julia Hartley Brewer was on the radio. Her daughter who she sends to public school to study for A levels was having 5 or 6hrs of zoom lessons a day throughout lock down.
My daughter who attends a very good local High School had 4 zoom lessons throughout the whole of lock down. Her experience is far from unusual.

yh that's the problem its not fair for all students in the country because they've had different extremes of education during lockdown. I've always thought continuous assessments were a better evaluation of peoples ability anyway
I really hope not cos they'll just base it on schoolwork aka mocks
I really hope they don't get cancelled because that'll just put pressure on us for our mocks in Feb

Couldn't agree more! To make the matter worse, my school holds big serious exams every two months(a very very stressful private school). Now every single exam matters which is even worse than just sitting an AS level.
I hope they cancel them. We're at the highest point of demotivation ever and this level of uncertainty is terrible. We have mocks in a month and everyone is preparing loads as they're basically the real thing considering that we will probably follow Wales
Original post by alevel20203
I hope they cancel them. We're at the highest point of demotivation ever and this level of uncertainty is terrible. We have mocks in a month and everyone is preparing loads as they're basically the real thing considering that we will probably follow Wales

I highly doubt that. The press have already stopped covering this as the party line from Boris and Kier Starmer is schools stay open and exams go ahead.

They learnt from last time and going back would make them lose any credibility they have left so I would no assume cancelled unless Wave 3 Covid closes schools.
Original post by RyanLion
I highly doubt that. The press have already stopped covering this as the party line from Boris and Kier Starmer is schools stay open and exams go ahead.

They learnt from last time and going back would make them lose any credibility they have left so I would no assume cancelled unless Wave 3 Covid closes schools.

Fair point however, it becomes an issue on how fair it is overall, cus at the end of the day all students should be on the same platform, thus all students will have exams cancelled or no students have exams cancelled. The latter being a problem since Wales and Scotland have already cancelled there's and similar to last year, England was the last place to make a decision until literally the very last minute. As I mentioned in the other Exams thread, I think it's okay for exams to be cancelled but if people don't get the grades they hoped/thought they would get then they can sit exams and will NOT be deferred entry to the next academic year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending