The Student Room Group

Target Oxbridge 2021-2022

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Oxford Mum
Well done everyone who got a place on this scheme! Although there is no guarantee of an Oxbridge offer, your success bodes well for the future.

@vix.xvi To see a great scheme, click on the link below

https://targetoxbridge.co.uk/

Thanks! It says it's Aimed at black/African/Carribbean students...can you still apply successfully if you don't fall into that category?? Xx
Nope
Original post by zacn01
I didn’t get in for Natsci but I didn’t expect

Did you at least get the digital option? I think it's still the same opportunities apart from the mentoring
Original post by vix.xvi
Thanks! It says it's Aimed at black/African/Carribbean students...can you still apply successfully if you don't fall into that category?? XxI

I've heard of a few Asian students getting on but I do think the priority is given to black/African..... I would have recommended a similar programme called OMS which runs for all ethnicities but the deadline just passed today at 5, after like 2 extensions.
Original post by Unknownx12
Did you at least get the digital option? I think it's still the same opportunities apart from the mentoring

Nope, completely rejected! My grades are 10x9s so i’m guessing it was my ps or the fact I go to private school
I've heard of a few Asian students getting on but I do think the priority is given to black/African..... I would have recommended a similar programme called OMS which runs for all ethnicities but the deadline just passed today at 5, after like 2 extensions.

Aw that's sad😔. Thanks for your help anyways ☺️ even if I had applied, I doubt I would be selected 😅
Original post by zacn01
Nope, completely rejected! My grades are 10x9s so i’m guessing it was my ps or the fact I go to private school

I would imagine it is the private school thing, as this would have already given you a head start.
Original post by ItsTomii
Good job! I got in for Medicine even though I was sure my interview went awfully. My interviewer even had to tell me that I didn’t answer one of the questions. Lol.

Lmao the same thing happened to me. Well done guys!
If you don’t get in for target oxbridge you can always apply for zero Gravity, an excellent free scheme. I spoke to Alexander olive of target Oxbridge and he told me this is where they redirect applicants who sadly don’t make it onto this programme. Another thing about zero Gravity is there is a space for you as long as you are eligible and there is a mentor available for your subject ( which there usually is). You can apply any time of the year as well.
Hi, I applied very late for Target Oxbridge because my college was offering it's own mentor scheme so I thought I shouldn't apply because someone else may need Target Oxbridge more than I do because their school maybe less supportive. However, my college's mentor scheme has been a bit of a flop seeing as many students including myself haven't heard anything from their mentor.
I emailed Alexander to ask if it's too late and he said that I could still apply but most likely end up on a waiting list.
I just want to ask does anyone know if they have been put on a wait list or if anyone actually gets in from being on the waitlist?

Also, I've applied to zerogravity but haven't heard anything back yet does that mean I've been rejected?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by alipurple
Hi, I applied very late for Target Oxbridge because my college was offering it's own mentor scheme so I thought I shouldn't apply because someone else may need Target Oxbridge more than I do because their school maybe less supportive. However, my college's mentor scheme has been a bit of a flop seeing as many students including myself haven't heard anything from their mentor.
I emailed Alexander to ask if it's too late and he said that I could still apply but most likely end up on a waiting list.
I just want to ask does anyone know if they have been put on a wait list or if anyone actually gets in from being on the waitlist?

Also, I've applied to zerogravity but haven't heard anything back yet does that mean I've been rejected?

Not necessarily @alipurple! There is sometimes a delay as Zero Gravity is very popular. Please could you email or phone Kitty Goodwin, ask her what your application status is, and say that Oxford Mum sent you. Hopefully you may well get an answer there and then.

It can sometimes depend on how good your (state school) is. If they have high progression to Oxbridge, you may not be eligible. Also the geographical area you live in may have high progression to Oxbridge. Yes, there often is a bit of a bottleneck at Zero Gravity at this stage, but looking at all the 5* reviews on trust pilot (written by successful Oxbridge students), the wait is worth it if you can get in.

May I just say something else here. It is very selfless of you to step back from applying to Target Oxbridge, to give someone else a chance. I really hope you find help to get you where you deserve to be.
(edited 3 years ago)
Thanks OM! I'll email her on Monday for an update on my application.
I go to a big college so they have sent quite a few people to Oxbridge (22 people last year) so I probably don't qualify. However, I meet other widening participation criteria such as low household income and live in an area with a low progression to HE.
I know Target Oxbridge will be of such benefit to you guys who got in and congratulations on passing the interviews 😁 (they seem really tricky from what I've read) I applied for Medicine btw.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by alipurple
Thanks OM! I'll email her on Monday for an update on my application.
I go to a big college so they have sent quite a few people to Oxbridge (22 people last year) so I probably don't qualify. However, I meet other widening participation criteria such as low household income and live in an area with a low progression to HE.
I know Target Oxbridge will be of such benefit to you guys who got in and congratulations on passing the interviews 😁 (they seem really tricky from what I've read) I applied for Medicine btw.

Yes, I know you have applied for medicine. I have had the pleasure of speaking to you before.

If your school sent 22 people to Oxbridge last year, this does not bode well for your application, I am afraid. They certainly do seem to be doing something right!

I must have sent you the relevant chapters of Oxford Demystified. Hopefully this will help. If not, I am sure I and others on the Oxford 2022 thread will be there to lend their support.

What makes you think your school mentor is not being supportive?
(Sorry I meant to mention Medicine for other applicants in case they were curious as to what subject I applied for) The reason I chose my college was for the good reputation as well 😂 I have to travel quite far to attend as it's not in my county.
If I don't get into zerogravity that's fine I've gotten a lot of advice from tsr and especially your Oxford Demystified chapters :smile:
My school mentor hasn't been effective simply because I haven't heard from them and I've been assigned to a new one. However, some students have had weekly sessions with theirs since October/November. I understand uni during lockdown has been really stressful and hectic so I understand why they may be taking a long time to get back to me.
If you have the contact details of your new mentor, why not message them, say you are applying for medicine, are keen to get started and could they please give you some pointers? Say that the others have heard from their mentors but you have not.

In the meantime there is plenty in Oxford demystified you could be getting on with . In my medicine from a parents point of view there are plenty of resources you can be getting on with especially the niche reading and later on preparing for the bmat and if there are essay competitions why not have a go?

There is one thing all of these schemes have in common. They can give you pointers and encouragement but at the end of the day it will mean a lot of self directed study, which you could do at home anyway.

If you want to look at winning behaviours, take a look at the Oxford demystified chapter making a successful reapplication

I have gone through each subject chapter, selected the best comments regarding admissions test, interviews and general attitudes and put them all in one place. It’s funny how even the they have applied for different subjects, their approach is so similar they could almost be the same person.

Come on, @alipurple, we got this!!!
Original post by Oxford Mum
If you have the contact details of your new mentor, why not message them, say you are applying for medicine, are keen to get started and could they please give you some pointers? Say that the others have heard from their mentors but you have not.

In the meantime there is plenty in Oxford demystified you could be getting on with . In my medicine from a parents point of view there are plenty of resources you can be getting on with especially the niche reading and later on preparing for the bmat and if there are essay competitions why not have a go?

There is one thing all of these schemes have in common. They can give you pointers and encouragement but at the end of the day it will mean a lot of self directed study, which you could do at home anyway.

If you want to look at winning behaviours, take a look at the Oxford demystified chapter making a successful reapplication

I have gone through each subject chapter, selected the best comments regarding admissions test, interviews and general attitudes and put them all in one place. It’s funny how even the they have applied for different subjects, their approach is so similar they could almost be the same person.

Come on, @alipurple, we got this!!!

Unfortunately, we aren't provided with our mentors details until they have contacted us first. I'm not sure why though hopefully I hear something soon. My college said they would try to run catch up sessions for those who haven't heard anything yet so I'm sure that will be useful too.
I attended a lecture ran by Newcastle uni the other day about cancer treatments for childhood leukaemia which was very interesting and I've bought some books to read more into it. As well as this I've decided that this is definitely what I want to do my crest award in.
I'll read those chapters seeing as the medicine related ones were very insightful :smile:
How did everyone do? I'm shocked but I got in for Law even after the horrible interview.

I got in for law too omg
i got in for maths ! so crazy

Original post by savvybean
I got in for law too omg
Original post by savvybean
I got in for law too omg

Congrats!!! I really hope that we got to visit Oxbridge at least for summer ...
Congrats!!! I really hope that we got to visit Oxbridge at least for summer ...

That would be so cool.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending