Exams! England should follow Wales and cancel GCSE & Alevel exams!

Watch
Ambitious1999
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
England should cancel all GCSE and A level exams and replace them with 100% course work because students education has been disrupted too much.
Last edited by Ambitious1999; 2 months ago
Cjbribbeachy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
No they shouldn't.
1st superstar
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Nope.
username5161354
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
100% agree and I’m a student
Aminah T
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Ambitious1999)
England should cancel all GCSE and A level exams and replace them with 100% course work because students education has been disrupted too much.
Exams are better.
And I do believe that they should reduce the content for A Levels. :yes:
Last edited by Aminah T; 2 months ago
sumzie2003
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Ambitious1999)
I'm sure this applies to others but in my case, at first, I didn't want exams to go on however I realized if they didn't they would most likely use teacher assessed grades. I'll be honest my grades are not the best right now getting Ds and Cs however I know I can achieve As for my A-LEVELS so that's why I want exams to happen.
adam271
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Aminah T)
Exams are better.
True

There is no level playing field though. Poorer students will be at a significant disadvantage due to no fault of their own. e.g. lack of access to facilities. Some schools in hotspots still not fully re-open etc..
Also you have regional differences. E.g. Students from Newcastle compared to students at say rural south England. Its undisputed that students in the north west England have had their studies far more affected compared to students in other areas.
That regional difference is just one of many.

Then you also have the finanical impact of covid which is affecting poorer students far more.
Last edited by adam271; 2 months ago
MadameRazz
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by adam271)
True

There is no level playing field though. Poorer students will be at a significant disadvantage due to no fault of their own. e.g. lack of access to facilities. Some schools in hotspots still not fully re-open etc..
Also you have regional differences. E.g. Students from Newcastle compared to students at say rural south England. Its undisputed that students in the north west England have had their studies far more affected compared to students in other areas.

Then you also have the finanical impact of covid which is affecting poorer students far more.
you have to remember though that there has never been a level playing field even pre-pandemic. poor students have always been at a disadvantage. its good that people are now pointing it out but its only bc they want exams cancelled bc of covid that theyre piggy backing off of the “poor people are disadvantaged” thing. thats always been true. people didnt care before soo...
sumzie2003
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by MadameRazz)
you have to remember though that there has never been a level playing field even pre-pandemic. poor students have always been at a disadvantage. its good that people are now pointing it out but its only bc they want exams cancelled bc of covid that theyre piggy backing off of the “poor people are disadvantaged” thing. thats always been true. people didnt care before soo...
I agree I live in East London and in an area which is considered the most disadvantaged borough however I have never let that stop me. I believe it's more about the individual and how much hard work they put it that determines their grades and not where they live or if they can't afford something but I do however sympathize but as you already probably know the government isn't going to sympathize.
stereotypeasian
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
:naughty:
Aminah T
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
True

There is no level playing field though. Poorer students will be at a significant disadvantage due to no fault of their own. e.g. lack of access to facilities.

Then you also have the finanical impact of covid which is affecting poorer students far more
I understand the impact it can have to poorer students, but predicted grades are most likely not going to be beneficial for them. The reason is because poorer students on average are predicted lower grades by their teachers than their peers who are not from disadvantaged backgrounds.

I understand what your saying, because having exams is also going to impact them too. I guess it's a difficult situation for students who are supposed to have their exams in the summer :dontknow:
IReallyDoNotKnow
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I believe exams are unfair for some but are the best way of measuring progress. In order to help reduce the unfairness, decreasing subject content (which is already being achieved) is a good step forward. Many schools e.g. grammar schools, tend to provide harder examinations to students, and since such exams are not standardised or the same in across schools, I believe it is unfair with that regard.
adam271
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by MadameRazz)
There has been an active effort to reduce the gap though. By allowing exams to go ahead that would be actively increasing it.
There is no perfect answer though because teacher assessed grades have been proven to favour schools from wealthy areas and can be discrimately to BAME students.
I have no hat in this race so, I am pretty objective in this.

I do wonder though how do students who live with like 5 other siblings who have to share a single computer can possibly 'online' learn effectively.
Regardless of the level playing field it is fair to say that student learning has been effected greatly and not everyone has had the opportunity to learn at home effectively.
I think if you scrap exams for the year and do revision up until the end of the academic year would be a far more effective use of time.

That being said, if you cancel exams too early wont some students see that as an excuse just to doss? Probably a minor gripe as students will still be assessed by teachers throughout the year.
MadameRazz
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by sumzie2003)
I agree I live in East London and in an area which is considered the most disadvantaged borough however I have never let that stop me. I believe it's more about the individual and how much hard work they put it that determines their grades and not where they live or if they can't afford something but I do however sympathize but as you already probably know the government isn't going to sympathize.
great to hear you’re determined and motivated. however people from poor backgrounds will be disadvantaged no matter how much effort and work they put in. its not shameful to admit that.
adam271
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Aminah T)
I understand the impact it can have to poorer students, but predicted grades are most likely not going to be beneficial for them. The reason is because poorer students on average are predicted lower grades by their teachers than their peers who are not from disadvantaged backgrounds.

I understand what your saying, because having exams is also going to impact them too. I guess it's a difficult situation for students who are supposed to have their exams in the summer :dontknow:
Agreed there is no magic bullet here.
Personally, I think most teachers would agree that most students are quite far behind in their learning.
The government delaying the exams by 2 weeks is practically meaningless in terms of catchup.
I think the best approach is to continue teaching up until the end of July which gives teachers more time to get students up to the correct level.
https://www.tes.com/news/coronavirus...nd-scrap-exams
adam271
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Also I have a feeling Wales may have forced the hand of the English government by scrapping exams. It will be very difficult to ensure parity with predicted grades and actual exams. Which will just rile people up more on both sides.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Agreed there is no magic bullet here.
Personally, I think most teachers would agree that most students are quite far behind in their learning.
The government delaying the exams by 2 weeks is practically meaningless in terms of catchup.
I think the best approach is to continue teaching up until the end of July which gives teachers more time to get students up to the correct level.
https://www.tes.com/news/coronavirus...nd-scrap-exams
I don't agree - where is your evidence that 'most teachers' think this? Exams should go ahead - you can't ask teachers to teach into the holidays as there is a restriction to the teaching days ... some of us had few breaks last year as we had vulnerable/key workers children over Easter and half-term.
adam271
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
I don't agree - where is your evidence that 'most teachers' think this? Exams should go ahead - you can't ask teachers to teach into the holidays as there is a restriction to the teaching days ... some of us had few breaks last year as we had vulnerable/key workers children over Easter and half-term.
I don't have any evidence on what teachers think and I never claimed to.
But Teachers Unions, Indepdendent reviews and Universities have all said it.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-54729640
"Despite great efforts made by schools and colleges, the experiences of those learners is quite uneven in terms of what's happened - that depends on where they live, family circumstances, digital access, all sorts of circumstances come into play in this.

"And we, as a panel, cannot see how a fair exam series can be run at any level in 2021."

Now, as the quote states there is no fair playing field. There never was one anyway to be fair. But we are now talking about some students have had far more contact hours with teachers compared to other students through no fault of their own. That discrepancy is massive. Then you also have the fact of having to deal with covid and not being able to see your friends and issues with families due to covid etc. etc. the list is long.

Now your school might be fine, I know for sure if I was at Eton for example I'd want exams to go ahead. They live in a bubble anyway so they would prefer exams. But having Exams would just unfairly benefit certain students at the expense of others.

At least if you scrap Exams you would give those students that are behind more 'teaching' time to catch up.

Also, I dont want to get into a debate about how hard teachers work as I think I would disagree on that with you. .
I never suggested that teachers should teach into their holidays although I do think it would be a good idea. Even if it is just voluntarily. I am suggesting scrap exams and just teach until the last day of school in which you would usually be having exams. So instead of exams just teaching.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I don't have any evidence on what teachers think and I never claimed to.
But Teachers Unions, Indepdendent reviews and Universities have all said it.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-54729640
"Despite great efforts made by schools and colleges, the experiences of those learners is quite uneven in terms of what's happened - that depends on where they live, family circumstances, digital access, all sorts of circumstances come into play in this.

"And we, as a panel, cannot see how a fair exam series can be run at any level in 2021."

Now, as the quote states there is no fair playing field. There never was one anyway to be fair. But we are now talking about some students have had far more contact hours with teachers compared to other students through no fault of their own. That discrepancy is massive. Then you also have the fact of having to deal with covid and not being able to see your friends and issues with families due to covid etc. etc. the list is long.

Now your school might be fine, I know for sure if I was at Eton for example I'd want exams to go ahead. They live in a bubble anyway so they would prefer exams. But having Exams would just unfairly benefit certain students at the expense of others.

At least if you scrap Exams you would give those students that are behind more 'teaching' time to catch up.

Also, I dont want to get into a debate about how hard teachers work as I think I would disagree on that with you. .
I never suggested that teachers should teach into their holidays although I do think it would be a good idea. Even if it is just voluntarily. I am suggesting scrap exams and just teach until the last day of school in which you would usually be having exams. So instead of exams just teaching.
How many people were asked - I teach in a state school and we did teach throughout Easter and half-term last term as I said ... we invested in technology some years ago ...

Nothing is going to be fair - so we need to go for fairest - do you honestly think CAGs fair? No - there need to be standard tests marked externally ... grade boundaries and paper structure can be adapted.
adam271
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Nope I do not think CAG's are fair. But if it means teachers get to spend more time teaching students during what is tradionally a time for exams I think that is a good thing for students. Especially those who have had limited contact with their teachers.
What is your answer to the issue? Maybe you'd have a different take if you was in one of the schools struggling. Because not all schools have access to the technology needed.
https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...tance-learning

(Original post by Muttley79)
I teach in a state school and we did teach throughout Easter and half-term last term as I said
Good for you. .
I can't imagine having to work through term holidays!.... as a teacher anyway. Unfortunately, I have a real job like most people so I dont have the luxury of having like 13 weeks off a year as holiday. Sorry, saying 'teachers' have it hard doesnt wash for me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (44)
18.49%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (68)
28.57%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (90)
37.82%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (30)
12.61%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (6)
2.52%

Watched Threads