Elle.J
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I am planning to drop out of my uni as I hate my current degree (wasn't what I expected) and I've recently discovered occupational therapy and I'm very interested in studying it. However, I would like to get work experience and/or shadow an occupational therapist to see if it's right for me. However, I don't know if this will be possible due to lockdown and covid. Does anyone know how I can go about getting work experience and/or shadowing (even virtually)?

Any suggestions/advice is appreciated.
Josiehb7
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Elle.J)
I am planning to drop out of my uni as I hate my current degree (wasn't what I expected) and I've recently discovered occupational therapy and I'm very interested in studying it. However, I would like to get work experience and/or shadow an occupational therapist to see if it's right for me. However, I don't know if this will be possible due to lockdown and covid. Does anyone know how I can go about getting work experience and/or shadowing (even virtually)?

Any suggestions/advice is appreciated.
Hi Elle! sorry to hear about your uni experience , I hope that you will find your right path! I'm looking to study OT in 2021 and from what I can tell most unis are being quite lenient about shadowing/work experience. I recommend chatting 1:1 with an OT (maybe on zoom) and then making plans to volunteer or shadow when lockdown allows! I believe that most unis appreciate that you have plans to shadow and that you have gauged what being an OT involves.
Hope this helps and all the best!
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hello. Try to find a good occupational therapist online. Look at occupational therapy courses in schools or see if you can locate one in a special needs group on Facebook or on a disability forum.
Make a quick note of what to expect. Ask questions too but not too many. Find out about required skills and qualities etc. I strongly recommend doing a course first. Explore some access courses online.
You can get to shadow someone that way. Once you qualify as a occupational therapist you will be following a experienced occupational therapist around for a while. It is demanding but worth it. Get contact details.
Talk on Facebook or Instagram, some occupational therapists use that as well. Good luck.
Elle.J
Rep:
?
(Original post by Josiehb7)
Hi Elle! sorry to hear about your uni experience , I hope that you will find your right path! I'm looking to study OT in 2021 and from what I can tell most unis are being quite lenient about shadowing/work experience. I recommend chatting 1:1 with an OT (maybe on zoom) and then making plans to volunteer or shadow when lockdown allows! I believe that most unis appreciate that you have plans to shadow and that you have gauged what being an OT involves.
Hope this helps and all the best!
Hi Josie! Thank you so much for your advice because I was so worried about getting work experience lol. Hope applying goes well for you!
Elle.J
Rep:
?
(Original post by tinygirl96)
Hello. Try to find a good occupational therapist online. Look at occupational therapy courses in schools or see if you can locate one in a special needs group on Facebook or on a disability forum.
Make a quick note of what to expect. Ask questions too but not too many. Find out about required skills and qualities etc. I strongly recommend doing a course first. Explore some access courses online.
You can get to shadow someone that way. Once you qualify as a occupational therapist you will be following a experienced occupational therapist around for a while. It is demanding but worth it. Get contact details.
Talk on Facebook or Instagram, some occupational therapists use that as well. Good luck.
Hey, thanks so much for the advice!
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
np
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (416)
56.52%
I don't have everything I need (320)
43.48%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed