evielynrose
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I've been having trouble analysing poems (poets such as Horace etc) I got a pretty good grade on my English GCSE's but I can't seem to be able to find different aspects that show the use of propaganda in Augustus' Rome.
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
You mentioned struggling to discuss the propaganda element, so it might be worth reading around about Augustus and Horace and politics so you feel more grounded in that content? I know I often struggled simply because I didn't really understand the cultural/historical cues I was meant to be picking up on, whereas in English we take that background knowledge for granted a lot. The Cambridge Companion to Horace has a 'Horace and Augustus' chapter (and is a generally excellent book series). You might also want to see what's avaliable on JSTOR and in your school library.

Also worth pointing out that this is a very interesting and complex field of scholarly debate, and there absolutely is disagreement on what is 'propaganda' and if Horace is pro-, anti-, pro-and-anti- Augustus anyway, so it is tricky.
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hello
Read beyond the lines of the poem to detect any hidden meanings. One theme that appears is propaganda. Read more on the subjects of foreign politics and Augustus and Horace then make some brief short notes. Look for any background historical clues in particular for example about life etc. Go to your campus library tomorrow and see which books are on offer for students. Borrow a couple for reading. Then tackle the subject. If you post a question in a active Facebook group for uni students they can pitch in and help. Mainly by giving their own opinions. Also finally circle or highlight any key words to do with propaganda in blue for example.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (98)
39.68%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (27)
10.93%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.29%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
23.08%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.15%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
6.88%

Watched Threads