The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

I go to the university of Edinburgh AMA

Since it is the time of year when UCAS applications have began, I thought it would be good to create an AMA thread for those interested in the university of Edinburgh.

I am a 1st year student studying Chinese and Russian (as my elective)

Scroll to see replies

How are you finding Edinburgh?
How are you finding your course?
Do you have any face-to-face teaching or is it all online?
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Hi :smile:

I have moved out of student accommodation and now I am living back at home. I am doing everything online, I hated living in student accommodation so much I don't think it was for me. I didn't get on with my flat mates and I can't see myself living without pets either. Overall it was a miserable and isolating experience. I enjoy Chinese a lot, Russian not so much since the course isn't taught very well and there is very little support offered.
Edinburgh is the only city that I have visited in Scotland, it is very hilly and the roads in the city centre are dreadful (lots of potholes :tongue: and the cobblestones are unbearable to cycle on). It feels very safe at night and safe in general. The people are friendly and always help if you look lost. Edinburgh castle is absolutely beautiful, Arthur's seat is a really fun hike to do with friends, it is relatively short and not too hard. Calton hill is another great place where you can see the rest of the city from along with the 2 previously mentioned. There's lots of places to get your groceries from so that's good and lots of shops to choose from. The city is quite small so everything is walking distance which is great as you don't need to pay for public transport. The architecture is certainly very different from London's architecture as the houses tend to be left unpainted where London's houses tend to be painted and quite often are in the Victorian architectural style. The housing is still very expensive but it is cheaper than London. Do you have any specific questions about Scotland?
Original post by black tea
How are you finding Edinburgh?
How are you finding your course?
Do you have any face-to-face teaching or is it all online?

1.At first I wasn't a massive fan of Edinburgh but I have come round eventually, now I quite like Edinburgh as a city it was just a massive shock to someone who always lived in London and is used to a much larger city. What I don't like in Edinburgh is how there aren't many large enclosed green spaces, the closest there is to that is this place called the meadows (2 small green fields) while in London there are so many parks to choose from, I do miss the underground as it was super convenient and it is the only form of public transport where bikes are allowed.

2. I am really enjoying the Chinese part, it was always my dream to learn Chinese and now it is slowly coming true, but it is a lot of work. I thought to choose to do it at degree level as through self-study I don't think I would be able to achieve fluency on quite the same level not only speaking but also being competent in reading and writing. I could also never give Chinese my undivided attention as I had to focus on a levels and gcse's now I can give it my full focus. I am not enjoying Russian that much since it is pretty much all self study, it feels very overwhelming and the grammar is a complete nightmare, I am slowly losing all my hope, I wish I did Chinese cinema and literature instead. In Chinese I can make good conversation while in Russian I can nearly string a sentence together.

3.We had oral lessons face to face but I hate living in student accommodation so I moved back home and will continue everything online. I have broken my lease so I won't have to pay for student accommodation, so I can safe some money at least.
I don't think it will resume back to full in person teaching for a while and if it does I will rent a flat where pets are allowed, I just don't see myself living without pets. I had broken the contract and I won't have to pay for the accommodation anymore. I don't have any choice but to continue Russian I think. I am really sad the course is taught so badly as I really was excited for Russian.
Original post by Anonymous1502
1.At first I wasn't a massive fan of Edinburgh but I have come round eventually, now I quite like Edinburgh as a city it was just a massive shock to someone who always lived in London and is used to a much larger city. What I don't like in Edinburgh is how there aren't many large enclosed green spaces, the closest there is to that is this place called the meadows (2 small green fields) while in London there are so many parks to choose from, I do miss the underground as it was super convenient and it is the only form of public transport where bikes are allowed.

2. I am really enjoying the Chinese part, it was always my dream to learn Chinese and now it is slowly coming true, but it is a lot of work. I thought to choose to do it at degree level as through self-study I don't think I would be able to achieve fluency on quite the same level not only speaking but also being competent in reading and writing. I could also never give Chinese my undivided attention as I had to focus on a levels and gcse's now I can give it my full focus. I am not enjoying Russian that much since it is pretty much all self study, it feels very overwhelming and the grammar is a complete nightmare, I am slowly losing all my hope, I wish I did Chinese cinema and literature instead. In Chinese I can make good conversation while in Russian I can nearly string a sentence together.

3.We had oral lessons face to face but I hate living in student accommodation so I moved back home and will continue everything online. I have broken my lease so I won't have to pay for student accommodation, so I can safe some money at least.

1) There are loads of green spaces in Edinburgh! Off the top of my head - Holyrood park, Princes Street Gardens, Figgate Park, Lochend Park. Plus all the hills where you get really nice views of the city, and the walks along the Union Canal and the Water of Leith are lovely too. I can imagine it being a huge change from London though!

2) Wow, that's really cool that you can already speak Chinese just a couple of months into the course! I'm sorry Russian isn't going so well though. Do you get any speaking practice at all? Will you be able to drop it in favour of another module or will you have to continue until the end of your degree?

3) Is it harder doing oral lessons online?
if you like indian food make sure to order some food from the everest or gucchhi india. they make very nice curries.
I love Edinburgh such a beautiful city!
Do you like Fish and chips? (A traditional-ish Scottish dish)
And What are you studying?
1) There are loads of green spaces in Edinburgh! Off the top of my head - Holyrood park, Princes Street Gardens, Figgate Park, Lochend Park. Plus all the hills where you get really nice views of the city, and the walks along the Union Canal and the Water of Leith are lovely too. I can imagine it being a huge change from London though!

2) Wow, that's really cool that you can already speak Chinese just a couple of months into the course! I'm sorry Russian isn't going so well though. Do you get any speaking practice at all? Will you be able to drop it in favour of another module or will you have to continue until the end of your degree?

3) Is it harder doing oral lessons online?

1) I meant green spaces large enough to cycle in.

2) I don't know whether to persevere with the Russian module or not? I always wanted to learn the language it is just proving a lot harder than I thought.

3) It is exactly the same doing oral lessons online and in person, in fact I prefer online as I hate it when in class we would be told to speak between ourselves and they would give us 3 minutes and it would take 1 minute then it would be really awkward.
Original post by Summerneive
Do you like Fish and chips? (A traditional-ish Scottish dish)
And What are you studying?

I'm a vegan so I don't eat fish and chips, I am studying Chinese (MA)

2) I don't know whether to persevere with the Russian module or not? I always wanted to learn the language it is just proving a lot harder than I thought.

3) It is exactly the same doing oral lessons online and in person, in fact I prefer online as I hate it when in class we would be told to speak between ourselves and they would give us 3 minutes and it would take 1 minute then it would be really awkward.

1) Holyrood park is great for cycling.

2) You could maybe do it as an evening class or something if the teaching on your course is really poor?

3) Who do you practice with now?

Are there any ways in which Edinburgh is better than London?

2) You could maybe do it as an evening class or something if the teaching on your course is really poor?

2 Russian is worth 40 credits for me.

3.the teacher holds the classes online, everyone gets their turn speaking. We do the lessons through Microsoft teams.

4.Edinburgh feels a lot safer than London and I like how everything is walking distance. There is this really nice vegan bakery in Edinburgh called naked Bakery, they have amazing cake. If you cycle slightly outside the city centre there are amazing roads to cycle on. In London it takes ages to cycle outside the city centre to get to more quiet roads. Edinburgh is a really pretty city, I really like Edinburgh castle. When you are always in the city centre you forget that it is by the coast, it is lovely to cycle by the coast.
Reply 14

Hi, I am sorry you didn't like your self catering experience - which Halls did you go to? I really want to go self-catered but it sounds like it's the luck of the draw who you are put in a flat with. Do you think you would have been better off in catered? Apart from Salisbury which are the other self catered you might recommend?
Original post by Glorybe
Hi, I am sorry you didn't like your self catering experience - which Halls did you go to? I really want to go self-catered but it sounds like it's the luck of the draw who you are put in a flat with. Do you think you would have been better off in catered? Apart from Salisbury which are the other self catered you might recommend?

I was in Shrub hill accommodation, it's quite far from George square, I don't think I would have been better off in catered since I am vegan so my diet is quite complicated and I am also a picky eater. I have heard that the food in catered accommodation isn't too good from friends. Salisbury is really the best accommodation but very hard to get. The very old accommodation's that are self-catered are very close to George square but quite dated. Murano is right next to Shrub hill slightly nicer since it's not right next to a busy Road like shrub hill where there are constant road works. Brae house is very nice slightly closer to George square but still not that close. Hermit's croft is meant to be a 10 mins walk to George square. What degree are you applying for because depending on your degree you will be doing your lectures in a designated place for me it's George square but if you are a science major then it's the king's building which is completely somewhere else.
Reply 16
I was in Shrub hill accommodation, it's quite far from George square, I don't think I would have been better off in catered since I am vegan so my diet is quite complicated and I am also a picky eater. I have heard that the food in catered accommodation isn't too good from friends. Salisbury is really the best accommodation but very hard to get. The very old accommodation's that are self-catered are very close to George square but quite dated. Murano is right next to Shrub hill slightly nicer since it's not right next to a busy Road like shrub hill where there are constant road works. Brae house is very nice slightly closer to George square but still not that close. Hermit's croft is meant to be a 10 mins walk to George square. What degree are you applying for because depending on your degree you will be doing your lectures in a designated place for me it's George square but if you are a science major then it's the king's building which is completely somewhere else.

Thank you so much for replying. It's really appreciated. So you don't like Shrub Hill? I'm doing boomed so will be working at Kings Building.
Original post by Glorybe
Thank you so much for replying. It's really appreciated. So you don't like Shrub Hill? I'm doing boomed so will be working at Kings Building.

https://www.accom.ed.ac.uk/our-accommodation/?student=Undergraduate&catering=SelfCatered&room=&p=1

Look here, it says everything you need to know about accommodation, most importantly look at distance to King's campus as few accommodations are close enough to King's campus, that's the most important things unless you have a bike and are willing to cycling.
Reply 18
https://www.accom.ed.ac.uk/our-accommodation/?student=Undergraduate&catering=SelfCatered&room=&p=1

Look here, it says everything you need to know about accommodation, most importantly look at distance to King's campus as few accommodations are close enough to King's campus, that's the most important things unless you have a bike and are willing to cycling.

Thank you
Reply 19
Original post by Glorybe

THanks - the accommodation list ask if you want single sex or mixed - what do you think?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending