The Student Room Group

Joint degrees

Do joint degree impact your employability? What are the other disadvantages and advantages?

And a more specific question just in case I end up going into teaching (it's one of the many jobs I am considering), will doing a joint degree mean I will still be able to apply to PGCE courses?

I was looking at the Biology and Maths joint degree at St Andrews. Is this a 50/50 split in Biology and Maths content? The website wasn't very clear.

Hopefully at least some of these questions can be answered :smile:
Is anyone who has done this degree able to give me some information about it?
Are Maths and Biology a good combo together?
Joint degrees have pluses and minuses.

Plus - you get to study two subjects and to see the cross-overs between the two. It can increase your employability - more versatile, greater breadth of study etc.

Minus - your timetable is split between two subjects therefore you cannot do the same number of course units as someone doing a single subject degree in either subject. There will be timetable limitations on which units within each subject you can do. That can sometime be frustrating.

For PGCE - you need to look at PGCE course pages and if the info isnt there, email relevant Unis and ask.
Original post by McGinger

For PGCE - you need to look at PGCE course pages and if the info isnt there, email relevant Unis and ask.

Most of them say that your degree needs to have around 50% content in the subject you wish to teach. I'm assuming the St Andrews one is due to it being "Biology and Maths" but I'll probably ask the uni to make sure.

Quick Reply

Latest