The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

MSc Social Science of the Internet (Oxford Internet Institute) 2021-22

Hi I started a similar thread in the Oxford forum but I thought I'd post it here too!

I finished my application last week, is anyone else applying?

What attracted you to this course and what is your profile?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by AnotherStudent29
Hi I started a similar thread in the Oxford forum but I thought I'd post it here too!

I finished my application last week, is anyone else applying?

What attracted you to this course and what is your profile?

Hey.

I plan on sending my application by the end of this month, although I am not the most confident of my chances. I have a bachelors in advertising and marketing, and a 3.6 gpa.

My comms background and interest in public affairs puts me in a discerning position on how data is shaping our information consumption, and in turn our world view. This, in a sentence, is what brings me to this course. What about you, and what is your background?
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 2
Also applied by the November deadline. Hope we have good news this month :smile:
I applied for the November deadline. I completed my bachelors in media (3.8/4.0 GPA). I don't have any previous research experience but I work in an Internet field. Not sure what to expect! But good luck to everyone applying :smile:
Hi all :smile:

I've also applied for the November deadline. Not too sure about my chances as I hear its quite competitive, but all I can do is try my best and hope! My background is in music but my placement was in digital communications and my dissertation was on the use of internet memes in pop music marketing (no, seriously) so I have some background within the area!
Reply 5
Happy we’re all shooting our shot! Any news about COVID-19 changes to the admissions process? Particularly for the # of spots, interviews, or decision release?
I applied for the November deadline. I hope we hear back at the same/a similar time to the MSc in Social Data Science people; @Noel_L got word from the admissions department that they would persevere to get decisions out by 15th January.

My focus is somewhat different since I want to examine the internet from the perspective of public policy/economics. I want to explore the disruptive the effects new internet-based technologies/markets have on local economies and communities.
Reply 7
Original post by Jgradschool
I applied for the November deadline. I hope we hear back at the same/a similar time to the MSc in Social Data Science people; @Noel_L got word from the admissions department that they would persevere to get decisions out by 15th January.

My focus is somewhat different since I want to examine the internet from the perspective of public policy/economics. I want to explore the disruptive the effects new internet-based technologies/markets have on local economies and communities.

Both of the programs have the same deadline right? So yeah, it’s very likely that we will hear back from them at the same time~ :smile:
Hi everyone, I applied by the November deadline and have an interview scheduled for Wednesday morning. Anyone else got an interview invitation/was accepted without one? Do you think the interview will be technical, and if so, how are you preparing?
Reply 9
Congrats on the interview, @melania96. I don’t have any advice but I wish you the best of luck!!!
Original post by melania96
Hi everyone, I applied by the November deadline and have an interview scheduled for Wednesday morning. Anyone else got an interview invitation/was accepted without one? Do you think the interview will be technical, and if so, how are you preparing?

Congrats on the interview! From what I've heard from a friend that did Social Data Science, it's not technical.

I haven't heard anything about an interview so that probably means I've gone directly into the rejection pile or the offer pile. Oh well, I guess I'll go to Cambridge.
We cannot be certain how admissions works in the backend, so don’t be discouraged. An interview or offer may be coming soon :smile:
Original post by Wiystful
We cannot be certain how admissions works in the backend, so don’t be discouraged. An interview or offer may be coming soon :smile:

Nah, you don't really want an interview. Ideally, you want an offer in January

Original post by Jgradschool
Oxford Internet Institute:
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/graduate/courses/msc-social-science-internet

Performance at interview

Interviews may be held as part of the admissions process. If a student clearly exceeds all the admission criteria and their proposed research is innovative and can be supervised at the Oxford Internet Institute then they may be made an offer without an interview.

If an interview is required, it is normally held three to six weeks after the application deadline. There is usually only one interview held, which lasts up to 30 minutes and can be held via video conferencing software. You will be asked questions about research interests, interest in and qualification for the course, and why you think the Oxford Internet Institute would be the best place to conduct your studies.
Thanks both! Useful to know that the interviews are not technical, I’ve seen someone else say that here on student room, so hopefully it will just be a format chat about my motivation.
Wishing you the best of luck, I think it’s too soon to draw conclusions, to be honest I did not even expect them to get back before Christmas! Hopefully you will get in without the added stress of an interview :smile:
Original post by melania96

Good luck in your interview! I haven't been offered one but i've been preparing in-case I do get one by watching youtube videos from students who got accepted onto a postgrad course at Oxford. Quite a few out there that give good tips about the interview. Do you mind me asking when you got the invitation through for an interview? :smile:
Original post by RadioBlaBla
Good luck in your interview! I haven't been offered one but i've been preparing in-case I do get one by watching youtube videos from students who got accepted onto a postgrad course at Oxford. Quite a few out there that give good tips about the interview. Do you mind me asking when you got the invitation through for an interview? :smile:

Thanks! It went well, although it could have been much better 😅 Regarding the outcome, they said they can’t promise to get back before Christmas. I got an invitation last Friday (11/12).
Contacted admissions today and they advised that they very rarely interview for the full time MSc only course. (They do interview for part time and 1+3 though). Outcomes will be sent out by 15th Jan at the latest. :smile:
Original post by RadioBlaBla
Contacted admissions today and they advised that they very rarely interview for the full time MSc only course. (They do interview for part time and 1+3 though). Outcomes will be sent out by 15th Jan at the latest. :smile:

Thanks for sharing, that’s very useful. I am applying for part-time attendance, so that explains the interview invitation :smile:
Hi, I’m also applying to the MSc :smile: I was reviewing my statement of purpose with a friend and felt a bit concerned about the amount of detail i go into when describing my research interests. Her statement (not for Oxford) was 1000 words long, so she obviously had more space to explain it very carefully. I have done one paragraph, plus another dedicated to my dissertation (which is directly related to my research interests) What have you guys done and you reckon that is enough? I’m interested in the use of social media for politics and radicalisation :smile:
Original post by eleectrica
Hi, I’m also applying to the MSc :smile: I was reviewing my statement of purpose with a friend and felt a bit concerned about the amount of detail i go into when describing my research interests. Her statement (not for Oxford) was 1000 words long, so she obviously had more space to explain it very carefully. I have done one paragraph, plus another dedicated to my dissertation (which is directly related to my research interests) What have you guys done and you reckon that is enough? I’m interested in the use of social media for politics and radicalisation :smile:

Hiya! I think I structured my statement pretty similarly - a paragraph about why I'm interested in the discipline and my experience researching internet cultures as part of my undergrad dissertation, followed by a paragraph about my research interests.

Social media for politics and radicalisation sounds like an awesome and v interesting research area by the way! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending