Met3oR2
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi,
I'm in year 13, and I want to study Computer Science at degree-level after finishing sixth form, either in university or as a degree apprenticeship. I'm not doing Maths A-Level currently but I wish I was as many of the choices I am aiming for require a Maths A Level, though a few good universities such as Nottingham accept Computer Science A-Level (which I am doing) instead.

I still think however that I should go for that maths A Level (at home but still doing the exams) in order to widen my choices and improve my understanding? Especially as maths is a very facilitating and useful subject. At the GCSE I got a grade 6 btw.

(ofc this would assume I am able to do any exams in the current situation by 2022)

TL; DR: Should I take out a gap year pre-university and do A Level mathematics at home during that year? Is it possible and would it help me a lot in the future?
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
It’s a good question, but in my humble opinion, Maths is about the only subject where you need to be taught. Everything else, even physics - can be self-taught, by reading the books, working hard.
(A family member (artist) hated physics, but basically memorised her text-book and passed ‘best-in-school’)

So, if you do that route, you’d need some sort of available tutoring, someone to ask about the snafu’s. (There might be a lot of furloughed engineers/scientists available for next six months or so - but you’d need to plan to access that resource)

Compare (A) year-out/self-teach(with paid help) with (B) the universities offering CS + foundation year.

That might get you into CS faster/better?
Or do you wish to look at nuanced CS, such as (C) gaming design at Abertay University (less maths needed) or the GCHQ NCSC approved Cyber security degrees (D) networking cybersec doesn’t need as much maths as the highly abstract Computer Science itself. [It needs a bit, how a vuln can be leveraged to leap into device memory, that very mathsy, but that’s just a day of study].

Four thoughts! Back to you.....
Last edited by LuigiMario; 7 months ago
*****deadness
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I'm good at maths so I'd think the opposite, but with a 6 at GCSE you'd probably need someone to walk you through it. If good ones like Nottingham are fine with just CS then you might not need maths. Have a quick look at the syllabus and see if it's bearable
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (170)
44.16%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (43)
11.17%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (31)
8.05%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (83)
21.56%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (36)
9.35%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.71%

Watched Threads