username5471380
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hey guys,
Has anyone else started a masters and seriously struggling with the workload? I am not sure I'm in the right headspace to fully devote so much time to it and it's all a lot harder than I expected.

Thanks
username5471380
Rep:
?
Hey guys, Has anyone else started a masters and seriously struggling with the workload? I am not sure I'm in the right headspace to fully devote so much time to it and it's all a lot harder than I expected. Thanks
username5471380
Rep:
?
Hey guys, Has anyone else started a masters and seriously struggling with the workload? I am not sure I'm in the right headspace to fully devote so much time to it and it's all a lot harder than I expected. Thanks
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by justinkayes)
When I started my MA, I had all my demanding modules in semester 1, so it was pretty overwhelming. I reached out for help from my lecturers and personal tutor, and they were able to advise me on how to manage my time better, but still have free time to chill out. Always seek help if you feel that you are struggling, as there is usually a lot of help available if you ask for it.
Keele University
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by justinkayes)
Hey guys,
Has anyone else started a masters and seriously struggling with the workload? I am not sure I'm in the right headspace to fully devote so much time to it and it's all a lot harder than I expected.

Thanks
Hi justinkayes,

I'm sorry that you're finding the workload on your Masters really tough but I can promise you that you're not alone.

My experience was similar to PhoenixFortune's - Semester One was just manic because I had my most demanding modules then, plus I was putting in a PhD application, planning my MA dissertation, discovering the research culture of my academic school.

By the middle of the semester I felt really overwhelmed and was falling behind with the reading on one of my modules. I reached out to one of my academic tutors and we met for a chat - she basically advised me not too worry if I didn't manage to read everything but to try and keep up with the key texts and anything that I intended to write on for academic essays/exams. She also reassured me that I was doing well on the course. Just having that chat - and the permission to take my foot off the gas for a bit - was really helpful.

Semester Two was considerably more manageable as my PhD application was in, I'd familiarised myself with the research culture and felt like I knew who was who and what I needed to focus on, and I'd got a plan for my dissertation. I'd also attended a couple of workshops that helped me to plan/organise my time better, and to make the most of my academic reading - they gave me some excellent tips for managing workload so it's worth seeing if your university do something similar.

I'd definitely advise you to reach out to tutors and peers before you feel swamped - sometimes just having a chat can be really helpful, and they can probably recommend things that helped them, or workshops/training that might help you to manage your workload, or work more effectively.

Hang on in there - it does get easier!

Amy
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by username5471380)
Hey guys,

Thanks
Hi :hello:

The jump from degree level to postgraduate studies can be difficult. I would recommend speaking to your tutors if you are finding it hard to keep up with your workload. They may be able to advise you of the best way to structure your studies.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Melissa
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (194)
58.26%
I don't have everything I need (139)
41.74%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed