The Student Room Group

AQA A level Psychology A* AMA

I recently achieved an A* in AQA A level psychology ask me any anything eg: revision tips, how to revise etc.

Scroll to see replies

This is the post I needed to see. I have just started AQA a level psychology. My teachers just put stuff on the board to copy down and I get all the notes down but I don’t understand any of it. IResearch methods is easy. We are moving onto ethical issues and origins of psychology and I don’t understand it. Are there any resources that are useful for revision and summary. Also where can I find past papers. Also (sorry) what revision did u do?
Reply 2
Original post by ellen.25
This is the post I needed to see. I have just started AQA a level psychology. My teachers just put stuff on the board to copy down and I get all the notes down but I don’t understand any of it. IResearch methods is easy. We are moving onto ethical issues and origins of psychology and I don’t understand it. Are there any resources that are useful for revision and summary. Also where can I find past papers. Also (sorry) what revision did u do?

Hi! In terms of resources I would definitely recommend you buy the AQA textbook for psychology if your school have not provided you with a set of booklets/notes. For me, I found it very useful to write down all of the key studies and evaluation points from each topic when revising as these will be the main things you need to know in the exam and you need to have them memorised fully. Origins of psychology was honestly my least favourite topic- I would suggest looking over previous essays for this topic and looking at the mark scheme to help you identify any gaps in your knowledge and making notes from the textbook on it. For past papers, you can find them on the AQA website- these are so useful to test your knowledge and practice essays. Definitely look over the examiner reports (also on the AQA website) for the past papers as these give you an indication of what the main mistakes other people made on questions so you won’t make these too. Hope this helps.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Hi, I have some questions about the 16 markers (Year 12 over here, but they're already making us do Year 2 content anyway).
1. I'm really confused on the difference between 'discuss' questions and 'evaluate' questions. What's the difference in answering the two, since I'm pretty sure both require some AO1 and AO3? How would you structure a response to each?

2. I'm also confused on evaluations in general. I usually use PEEL, like I'm pretty sure everyone else does, and I do vary my answers instead of sticking rigidly to PEEL and I offer counterpoints sometimes, but one of my teachers does this thing where she counters or undermines almost every evaluation she offers, while the other just usually writes just the evaluation. I trust the latter, because she's been a Psychology teacher for a few years and the other one only started, but I'm still not sure.
Reply 4
Original post by Pichi
Hi, I have some questions about the 16 markers (Year 12 over here, but they're already making us do Year 2 content anyway).
1. I'm really confused on the difference between 'discuss' questions and 'evaluate' questions. What's the difference in answering the two, since I'm pretty sure both require some AO1 and AO3? How would you structure a response to each?

2. I'm also confused on evaluations in general. I usually use PEEL, like I'm pretty sure everyone else does, and I do vary my answers instead of sticking rigidly to PEEL and I offer counterpoints sometimes, but one of my teachers does this thing where she counters or undermines almost every evaluation she offers, while the other just usually writes just the evaluation. I trust the latter, because she's been a Psychology teacher for a few years and the other one only started, but I'm still not sure.

Hello! The difference between discuss and evaluate questions is that discuss questions require both A01 and A03, so for these questions you need to describe and evaluate/provide evidence in your answer while evaluate questions only require A03, there is no point in including any A01 as you will not get any marks for this so you need to strictly evaluate with no description. I would definitely recommend PEEL, it is a great way of making sure you have fully backed up any of your points. Also, I agree with your teacher and would definitely use counter arguments wherever it is possible because it gives your essay a great structure and makes it much more compelling for the reader. I hope this helps you.
Thank this is very helpful I will buy a textbook tonight and do just this.
Reply 6
Thank this is very helpful I will buy a textbook tonight and do just this.

No problem feel free to ask anything else if you are struggling
Thank u :smile: are there any books u would recommend that link to the course?
Reply 8
Thank u :smile: are there any books u would recommend that link to the course?

In terms of wider reading, I would suggest a beautiful mind and shutter island which are both also films I think.
Reply 9
Original post by Zaraas782
I recently achieved an A* in AQA A level psychology ask me any anything eg: revision tips, how to revise etc.

Do you know where I'd be able to find model 12/16 mark answers please ?
Reply 10
Original post by Shafxx
Do you know where I'd be able to find model 12/16 mark answers please ?

I am not too sure of any reputable sources where you could find model answers but I would suggest doing them yourself and getting your teacher to mark them and redoing them until you get full marks so you have model answers to work from (this is what I did and used them to revise). Hope this helps.
Scale of 1-10, how hard was it to get that A*?

10 being the hardest
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by CaptainDuckie
Scale of 1-10, how hard was it to get that A*?

10 being the hardest

I would probably say a 3, it did require lots of hard work and revision but I would say as long as you understand everything/ can write a good detailed essay, it gets a lot easier.
I would probably say a 3, it did require lots of hard work and revision but I would say as long as you understand everything/ can write a good detailed essay, it gets a lot easier.

So 3/10?

30% ?? Damn you good
Reply 14
Original post by CaptainDuckie
So 3/10?

30% ?? Damn you good

Haha I mean for me psychology was a lot more manageable and less time consuming in comparison to my other subjects (biology and chemistry), but obviously everyone finds different subjects hard.
Haha I mean for me psychology was a lot more manageable and less time consuming in comparison to my other subjects (biology and chemistry), but obviously everyone finds different subjects hard.

Yeah that’s understandable
Reply 16
I am not too sure of any reputable sources where you could find model answers but I would suggest doing them yourself and getting your teacher to mark them and redoing them until you get full marks so you have model answers to work from (this is what I did and used them to revise). Hope this helps.

Thank you:smile: how did you organize your folders and manage your time whilst doing the other a levels ?
Reply 17
Original post by Shafxx
Thank you:smile: how did you organize your folders and manage your time whilst doing the other a levels ?

For my folders, I had 4 per subject because I had 2 teachers for each subject and used 1 for AS and then 1 for A2. For Psychology specifically, I would separate your folders into research methods and then just general topics because it is so much easier to keep research methods separate. I would also keep a separate folder for daily use- when I went to sixth form I only took 1 folder with 3 sections and would only bring work for the topic that we we currently working on for each subject and then would transfer the work to my actual folder when we had finished with the topic. Managing my time was quite hard at first as I also did an EPQ- my advice would be to make sure you complete your homework on the day you get it if you can so you have more time to revise and use your free time in school to get work done. Also, prioritise your work according to what you think you are finding the hardest/ easiest.
Reply 18
For my folders, I had 4 per subject because I had 2 teachers for each subject and used 1 for AS and then 1 for A2. For Psychology specifically, I would separate your folders into research methods and then just general topics because it is so much easier to keep research methods separate. I would also keep a separate folder for daily use- when I went to sixth form I only took 1 folder with 3 sections and would only bring work for the topic that we we currently working on for each subject and then would transfer the work to my actual folder when we had finished with the topic. Managing my time was quite hard at first as I also did an EPQ- my advice would be to make sure you complete your homework on the day you get it if you can so you have more time to revise and use your free time in school to get work done. Also, prioritise your work according to what you think you are finding the hardest/ easiest.

Ah okay thanks how did you revise for Bio and chem .idk how to organise my chemistry folders either I was thinking of using a mindmap at the start of every topic but I'm not really sure yet
Reply 19
Original post by Shafxx
Ah okay thanks how did you revise for Bio and chem .idk how to organise my chemistry folders either I was thinking of using a mindmap at the start of every topic but I'm not really sure yet

For Biology, I made revision posters for the key processes that we had to learn eg: DNA replication, transcription/translation, nutrient cycles etc. Then I would write out the processes on a whiteboard from memory and keep doing that until I got it all correct. If you don’t understand anything there are so many youtube videos. For Chemistry, the chemrevise notes are so useful and I revised mainly from them and watched youtube videos by Eliot Rintoul for any topics I didn’t understand. I made posters for all of the mechanisms as these are a crucial part of the a level and continually tested myself using these. For both Chemistry and Biology, the CGP revision guides are very useful, along with the specifications for both. The specifications allow you to see exactly what you are expected to know, so I printed them out and highlighted and annotated them- definitely print them out if you haven’t already. The most important thing for Biology and Chemistry is practice papers, which you can find on the exam board website- do as many questions as you can. Physics and Maths tutor website has questions by topics, which is incredibly useful when revising for end of topic tests. I just organised my Chemistry folders by topic so had a file divider for each topic- the specification gives you a list of all the topics. Mindmaps are good too- Just make sure they are concise and easy to read so you can revise the key points from that topic. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending