The Student Room Group

How do I become a Chartered accountant

Hi what do i need to study at uni to become a chartered account in the future? Should I be studying accounting and finance?
Reply 1
You can study whatever you like at university, or even not go to university. A level grades (good ones) are much more important than degree choice although its wise to get at least a 2:1 if you do a degree.

Around 20-25% of chartered accountants have A+F degrees so its really not considered particularly important by recruiters for the accounting firms. Smaller firms may tend to prefer business/ accg/ economics or STEM degrees to others, for larger firms this has not been an issue in the past.
Original post by kavita2002
Hi what do i need to study at uni to become a chartered account in the future? Should I be studying accounting and finance?

Hi @kavita2002

In order to become a chartered accountant, you are required to complete accountancy exams, most commonly associated with the main accountancy boards ACCA and CIMA.

When picking an accountancy degree if you are wishing to study it at university, it is important to consider whether that degree helps towards gaining Chartered Accountant status.

Here at Hull, our BSc (Hons) Accounting and BSc Accounting and Finance Management courses are accredited by ACCA (also as an Accelerate Partner), CIMA (as a University Partner), CIPFA, ICAEW (as a Partner in Learning), HKICPA and CPA Australia which then means that there are significant exemptions from the professional exams which you sit.

Both courses have the option to complete a year on placement where you can gain valuable experience under your belt.

If you would like to find out more about this course and ask any questions related to the course, we have a virtual open day coming up on the 27th or 28th November (subjects available vary on the day). Details about this can be found here.

Hope this helps,

Emily
University of Hull Student Representative

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending