The Student Room Group

What A-Levels should I pick if I have no idea what I want to do in life

What is the best A-Level combination that can be used to get into a huge variety jobs/unis?
Reply 1
Original post by rubym231
What is the best A-Level combination that can be used to get into a huge variety jobs/unis?

Well if it’s variety you are seeking then English or a writing subject, Maths, and another facilitating subject, maybe a science or something else you are interested in. Be aware that this is not a good option if you have a feeling you may want to do something, but are not sure, as a lot of degrees, particularly in STEM will require specific A-Levels which you may not have chosen.

Basically, i wouldn’t recommend picking A-Levels purely on variety unless you have absolutely zero idea what you want to do, as it can lead to problems in the future, and you may dislike the subjects you picked, which is never good.

I often say to people that are unsure of what they want to do, to first rule out what subjects they dislike, even if it’s only a few, it can narrow your selection.

But overall, you don’t have to listen to me, do what you think is right, but please do your research first.
Seeing as you want to do well money wise look at maths as it as everything form stem to economics and finance
Original post by rubym231

Take mathematics and two things you actually enjoy. Seriously, if you don't like your topics you won't do well.
Maths, chemistry biology and a humanity subject

Keep in mind: many humanity subjects accept stem subjects and may only require one essay based subject

I can’t list one degree that only asks for humanity

Stem a levels will give you the most flexibility (even for subjects like law etc)

So mostly stem and one humanity
Geog Maths/Stats Politics is the ultimate "I don't know what I want to do" combo.

Inevitably lead on to Geography at Warwick. 4 years later you've graduated, working as a management consultant and you still don't know.
Reply 6
Ones that you actually would like to learn about for two years. A-levels don't really 'lock you in' to certain jobs, it doesn't work like that.

Quick Reply

Latest