The Student Room Group

My uni experience has been terrible

I’m in my final year now and I’m just so disappointed and upset at how everything has gone. I live alone, I’ve made no close friends and I’ve realised that I haven’t enjoyed my course at all. I was initially friends with my first year flatmates but then they started being really *****y and making plans to live together next year without me. So I moved in with strangers the second year and they were even worse than the first lot and I was really depressed. Now I live alone and I’m just so upset with how everything’s gone. Everyone else seems to love their uni and has made loads of great friends and I was looking forward to uni so much and it’s just been awful. I wish I changed unis in the first year but I was too scared. I feel like what should’ve been the best three years of my life were actually the worst three. I’m finding it difficult to accept what has happened to me and move on. Any advice? Has anyone else has a similar experience?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I’m in my final year now and I’m just so disappointed and upset at how everything has gone. I live alone, I’ve made no close friends and I’ve realised that I haven’t enjoyed my course at all. I was initially friends with my first year flatmates but then they started being really *****y and making plans to live together next year without me. So I moved in with strangers the second year and they were even worse than the first lot and I was really depressed. Now I live alone and I’m just so upset with how everything’s gone. Everyone else seems to love their uni and has made loads of great friends and I was looking forward to uni so much and it’s just been awful. I wish I changed unis in the first year but I was too scared. I feel like what should’ve been the best three years of my life were actually the worst three. I’m finding it difficult to accept what has happened to me and move on. Any advice? Has anyone else has a similar experience?

What uni do you go to?

I think a lot of people romanticise University as 'the best years of your life' which unfortunately puts a lot of pressure on what are ultimately just three years. I'm sorry you've had such a bad time of it. The best advice I can give you is to try and figure out what you want next. It's of course going to be difficult as this has, understandably, affected you a lot. However, as much as you can, try to dwell less on what has happened and try to think about where you want to go and who you want to be. Then you can start to live the true best years of your life, the rest of it.

I'm sorry to hear that your final year currently is not going so well.
Understandably, like the comment above perfectly put, uni is romanticized.
Making close friends is important. But you cannot force that, as it happens naturally.
At university, you are put with so many people from different places, different backgrounds, that some people you will have negative attitudes to before or after knowing them.
It is great you have made it this far. First and second year must have been really har for you. Being lonely must suck as well, but i hope there is a silver lining within that, that you do not share with anyone as bad as you were with first and second year.
Don't regret not changing universities, as you will make yourself feel worse. Try to think of what made you aspire to go to the university you are at...
How you are feeling now sounds vulnerable, so please, talk to someone at university, ie. course tutor, so someone else is aware, and how you are feeling will not spiral out of control.
Maybe a leave of absence would suit you? Then you can work on what made the first two years so bad, you can fully focus on the third and studies afterwards.

I was in first year university, and did not like it.
So the fact you did not either and stayed is a massive feat within itself, and you should be proud.
Sometimes sticking it out makes it. harder to deal with later on, but you are doing great.
Feel free to PM about any problems, and i will listen :smile:
Original post by Anonymous #1
i feel exactly the same - how are you now? what did you end up doing?
Original post by Anonymous #2
I think a lot of people romanticise University as 'the best years of your life' which unfortunately puts a lot of pressure on what are ultimately just three years. I'm sorry you've had such a bad time of it. The best advice I can give you is to try and figure out what you want next. It's of course going to be difficult as this has, understandably, affected you a lot. However, as much as you can, try to dwell less on what has happened and try to think about where you want to go and who you want to be. Then you can start to live the true best years of your life, the rest of it.
PRSOM!

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Latest