The Student Room Group

Struggling what to do with life after dropping uni

Hi there I just left uni about a month ago and I’m really struggling what to do next with my life. I always thought I would become and inventor/computer science but I’m even debating that now or whether something completely Different and after how bad my uni experience was I’m not sure I want to go back to uni. I’m also stuck into what to actually do to get training into a job as i done a levels which was very limited and I’m not trained in a area which many jobs apart from retail require.

I’ve also had quite bad mental health for the last 5 years, grew up without a single friend also I thought I May have a little more of a social life at uni but I was just trapped for weeks without talking to anyone. It’s getting to a point now where I feel lost and not sure where to go from here with life. I don’t really know what else to do know that I’ve left education and I think I may have to get my mental health under control before anything as it’s really affected me and it’s lead to a point where I hate everything in the world And are lonely pretty much.

Any advice would be great from anyone
Reply 1
tbh I went through something similar last year. It's tough ik and it's okay to give yourself a break. honestly we make ourselves feel so guilty and awful about decisions but at the end of the day, what happens happens and all that matters is our happiness.
it's almost impossible to feel lonely when you love yourself and happy being alone with yourself. idk how I did it but start to invent the self you want to be. honestly I don't even have family support. what you have to do is put you and your mental state first, it dictates everything. for example start watching documentaries or videos about different topics practice some self love and care. once you find something to pour your energy into, life becomes a bit easier.
the only way you can go is up now. you've worked so hard and done so well for yourself, don't forget that. so what is you dropped out of uni? your life is only beginning, stories of greatness start with a bit of misfortune. you've got a great and fabulous future in front of you.
honestly I hope this helps and if you need I'll message more :smile:
Agree with above - also if you decide you want to do the Uni thing later, you can always do it part-time, as an apprenticeship, or mature student or whatever. You don't have to have your life totally sussed now. It's okay to take some time to figure out what's right for you.
hi!
I really understand where you're coming from! I low-key want to drop out of university but i'll need a degree if i ever want to do something in my chosen career path so i need it lol. But there is so much you can do just depends what!! You say you are into comp sci? are you into games then? maybe become a youtuber or a twitch streamer - you never know you could make it big!

Either way first things first you've got to think about what you would like a career in - once you've decided that you can work your way up. Let me know some things you decide on then i can try and help!

yes social life at uni is really really bad right now i can't blame you but just remember that only half of the stuff uni offers is going on right now! "I say this but i hate it here too loll". Maybe next year you can retry after you take some time for yourself and really think about what you want to do!

Mental health wise the best thing i can say is take some time out and don't stress you have plenty of time and nothing is set in stone! and loneliness wise (this is a bit weird) but if you have discord theres this website that lets you join discord groups which are about anything e.g. pokemon, games, music, science - you name it they've got it - and this would be a great way to find friends with similar interests!

I hope this reaches you well! And we can always talk if you ever feel down!
xx
Reply 4
Hi. I’m in a situation similar to you. I left uni in sept after graduating late due to various reasons. I have struggled with social anxiety for years (without help) but I have been able to manage mainly due to avoidance as I lived at home. I had an awful time with friends in both school and college so now only have 1/2 friends. I have started a new job in the last 2 weeks and my SA is sky high already and in turn this is impacting my self esteem and confidence + self worth. I’m unsure if I should keep on going on or take a break and try to get my mental health sorted. I feel pressure coming from everyone to just be working but I am really struggling!

hope you are okay. Know you are not alone in this.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi there I just left uni about a month ago and I’m really struggling what to do next with my life. I always thought I would become and inventor/computer science but I’m even debating that now or whether something completely Different and after how bad my uni experience was I’m not sure I want to go back to uni. I’m also stuck into what to actually do to get training into a job as i done a levels which was very limited and I’m not trained in a area which many jobs apart from retail require.

I’ve also had quite bad mental health for the last 5 years, grew up without a single friend also I thought I May have a little more of a social life at uni but I was just trapped for weeks without talking to anyone. It’s getting to a point now where I feel lost and not sure where to go from here with life. I don’t really know what else to do know that I’ve left education and I think I may have to get my mental health under control before anything as it’s really affected me and it’s lead to a point where I hate everything in the world And are lonely pretty much.

Any advice would be great from anyone

Hi,

I left uni too, and I am feeling the exact same as how you described.
If you'd like to talk about what made your uni experience bad, feel free to DM me, and i'll listen :smile:.
I know it's rocky at the minute, try to take a breather, though, I understand that is easier said than done.
From there, you can look into other approaches to take and ultimately get what you want.
Social life at uni varies for everyone, please don't feel bad about it. You don't want how you are feeling to escalate, so you have done the right thing to notice this and bring it up.
It is a great idea to get your mental health looked at first before you worry about other things, so then you know for sure you are making the best decision for yourself

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending