The Student Room Group

Should I have to give the key?

My parents are splitting up due to some issues with the the family, its all a bit personal so I won't share it on here but yes we have to split up the family for basically. Anyway I won't live with my mum, im currently living in her house but when we move should I have to hand my key to her house back to her or should I be allowed to keep it?

Scroll to see replies

Just keep it. If she asks for it give it back, if not leave it.
It’s her decision. If she asks you to give your key back then that’s her choice.
Reply 3
Original post by deadroseex
Just keep it. If she asks for it give it back, if not leave it.

Original post by GabiAbi84
It’s her decision. If she asks you to give your key back then that’s her choice.

OK what would you guys do though, would you ask for it back or let me have it
How old are you?
Reply 5
How old are you?

Just turned 21
Original post by Anonymous
Just turned 21

I’d ask for it back tbh. No need for you to have it if you’re not living there.
Reply 7
I’d ask for it back tbh. No need for you to have it if you’re not living there.

Its just so I can go in there often because the house is still kind of in my family even though my parents aren't together anymore and also its like whats the point in her taking it off me because if she just takes it she's just going to have this spare keys which is kind of clutter

Depends. It can be useful for someone else to have a key to get in if something is wrong or house needs checked up on. But again, it may not be necesary
If she asks for her house key back, you should always give it to her.

Does your mother take prescribed medication, have any health issues, social support and other people living with her? :confused:
If she is not healthy, has little or no access to a support network and asks for her key back, you can always have a duplicate key made in case of emergencies and give her the original back.

I would probably forget to be fair. However, I would honestly just leave it if you had moved out already and it is good for someone to have your key just in case.
Its just so I can go in there often because the house is still kind of in my family even though my parents aren't together anymore and also its like whats the point in her taking it off me because if she just takes it she's just going to have this spare keys which is kind of clutter

Unless she says it’s okay for you to be going over whenever you like then it’s not okay. It’s her house, like I said if she wants her key back then you don’t get a choice in the matter.
Original post by londonmyst
If she asks for her house key back, you should always give it to her.

Does your mother take prescribed medication, have any health issues, social support and other people living with her? :confused:
If she is not healthy, has little or no access to a support network and asks for her key back, you can always have a duplicate key made in case of emergencies and give her the original back.

No she's healthy
All the keys are duplicate, all my family have a duplicate key to this house right now
I would probably forget to be fair. However, I would honestly just leave it if you had moved out already and it is good for someone to have your key just in case.

Yes but I'm still going to coming round often its not like I'm not coming back ever
Unless she says it’s okay for you to be going over whenever you like then it’s not okay. It’s her house, like I said if she wants her key back then you don’t get a choice in the matter.

OK
Yes but I'm still going to coming round often its not like I'm not coming back ever

Yeah I really would not care.

You don't live there anymore, and she might not want you to have free access to her house. Even if its' family she might not feel comfortable with people coming and going into her house at random times. What she does with the keys is not your concern, it's entirely up to her.
Yeah I really would not care.

I don't really care much but I just thought it would be good to keep the key
Original post by Ne en mia nomo
You don't live there anymore, and she might not want you to have free access to her house. Even if its' family she might not feel comfortable with people coming and going into her house at random times. What she does with the keys is not your concern, it's entirely up to her.

Okay but there's no need to be rude though
If she ask for it, then return it. Otherwise it is fine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending