Conflicted as to whether to move out or stay local

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I have applied to Birmingham and Cambridge. Already received a Birmingham offer.

I am quite conflicted over the two and would appreciate some guidance or advice.

Pros of Birmingham:
- Less stress because I'm already fairly familiar, and diversity or availability of my preferred food is not a problem.
- The course seems a bit better because it has a placement whereas the Cambridge one doesn't.
- I am able to work or volunteer.
- Public transport takes around 20-30 minutes.
- I am still there for my single-parent family.
- No problem with food or accomodation.
- Can go in later depending on timetable.

Cons of Birmingham:
- Living at home isn't perfect: small room and having family stuff/needs/chores on my head as well.
- Not totally independent or private.
- Might feel like sixth form continuing.
- Catching public transport every day might feel burdensome.

Pros of Cambridge:
- General prestige associated with Cambridge (not that it matters to me or my career).
- Teaching and research facilities are of course renowned.
- "Looks good" to other people (I don't care or mind).
- Becoming totally independent
- Living on my own terms without having to worry about anyone else

Cons of Cambridge:
- Totally new environment, less diverse.
- I am not totally confident so this prospect causes more anxiety.
- I prefer the Birmingham course more over this one.

Based on the above, what would you guys recommend. Thanks
lilpones
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I have applied to Birmingham and Cambridge. Already received a Birmingham offer.

I am quite conflicted over the two and would appreciate some guidance or advice.

Pros of Birmingham:
- Less stress because I'm already fairly familiar, and diversity or availability of my preferred food is not a problem.
- The course seems a bit better because it has a placement whereas the Cambridge one doesn't.

Cons of Birmingham:
- Living at home isn't perfect: small room and having family stuff/needs/chores on my head as well.

Pros of Cambridge:
- General prestige associated with Cambridge (not that it matters to me or my career).

Cons of Cambridge:

Definitely Birmingham. If you'd be happier and more confident in Birmingham then go for it. The Cambridge prestige isn't worth it and in future won't do much for you.
AHKS
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago

Pros of Birmingham:

Cons of Birmingham:

Pros of Cambridge:

Cons of Cambridge:

Wait and see if you get a Cambridge offer too before worrying about it. If you don't the decision is made for you.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by AHKS)
Wait and see if you get a Cambridge offer too before worrying about it. If you don't the decision is made for you.
You're right, I'm being a bit big headed by assuming I will but that's where my source of stress is. Most people are stressing about being rejected by Cambridge, whereas I'm worrying about getting an offer and then having to choose. But yes, that's my plan- just let the process happen and put my effort in and see what happens in May when I need to respond. Thanks for the reply!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Asiel Osman)
Definitely Birmingham. If you'd be happier and more confident in Birmingham then go for it. The Cambridge prestige isn't worth it and in future won't do much for you.
Yeah especially for my career field (education) where prestige means nothing. Thanks for the response
Scotney
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago

Pros of Birmingham:

Cons of Birmingham:

Pros of Cambridge:

Cons of Cambridge:

Remember you will be at uni for three years. Will you not want to become more independent as time goes on. If you commute to uni you do miss out on the uni experience which may or may not matter to you.I would just add Cambridge terms are very short 8 weeks so you would actually be at home more than at uni. The placement opps are less important in education than they might be in say industry.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago

Pros of Birmingham:

Cons of Birmingham:

Pros of Cambridge:

Cons of Cambridge:

Hi,

I think it is your decision. Where do you think you'll like the most? Where will you feel happy? I know it may be hard but watch youtube videos, read blogs and the internet and see what you prefer better. I was in the same position but because of an open day, I was convinced Portsmouth was the right place for me. Unfortunately, due to covid this is not possible, so try to use different resources to decide!

I wish you all the best! Good luck!!

Marlena - Official Student Rep
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Scotney)
Remember you will be at uni for three years. Will you not want to become more independent as time goes on. If you commute to uni you do miss out on the uni experience which may or may not matter to you.I would just add Cambridge terms are very short 8 weeks so you would actually be at home more than at uni. The placement opps are less important in education than they might be in say industry.
i find the placement opp good to actually get experience inside schools or education settings, that seems appealing to me. independence is important yeah but i don't feel extremely strongly about it like some people who want to get out of their home environment. but you are also right about the 8week term.
AHKS
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
i find the placement opp good to actually get experience inside schools or education settings, that seems appealing to me. independence is important yeah but i don't feel extremely strongly about it like some people who want to get out of their home environment. but you are also right about the 8week term.
What course are you applying for?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by AHKS)
What course are you applying for?
education. that's why the idea of cambridge prestige or reputation doesn't really apply to me when that has no bearing whatsoever on my career plans unlike something like business/politics/law/medicine where prestige might mean a bit more
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago

Pros of Birmingham:

Cons of Birmingham:

Pros of Cambridge:

Cons of Cambridge:

You know what's important to you. However, I wouldn't underestimate the importance of moving out as part of becoming an adult, or being pushed by your course and peers.
AHKS
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
If you mean an actual teaching qualification you will have placements wherever you study. You have to do two period of teaching in schools to be able to obtain QTS so you'll get that at Cambridge too.
University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago

Pros of Birmingham:

Cons of Birmingham:

Pros of Cambridge:

Cons of Cambridge:

Hey,

I lived away from home for university during my first degree and I loved the feeling of being independent and exploring a new city
I did miss home sometimes but it was only a three-hour train journey and I could go back for the weekend! I decided to move home after I finished my undergrad to start a postgrad. I have to commute to uni on a daily basis, but I'm still getting the same student experience although I live at home. I would recommend visiting the universities (if you can) and get a feel for them both. I knew that if I could see myself studying at the university then it was the right decision for me.

Take some time to think about your decision as Scotney said you'll be there for three years so don't rush into making a decision too quickly.

Good luck!

Melissa- Student Ambassador
UoB - Engineering and Physical Sciences
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago

Pros of Birmingham:

Cons of Birmingham:

Pros of Cambridge:

Cons of Cambridge:

Hello!
I'd say that enjoyment of the course overshadows the prestige it gives (you are paying for it, after all!) but let me backtrack and try to give as unbiased an answer as I possibly can:
As a person living away from home, I have to admit that I do appreciate independence -but that doesn't mean that commuters have less of a University experience. I have commuter friends that are engaged in the guild and various societies (more so than I am!) and if you ever need space to study, a lot of universities have 24/7 study spaces which I expect will be accessible again by the time you apply
As the previous reps have said, it isn't a decision that you should be rushed into. I wholly recommend that you compare youtube videos of students talking about the course/their experience and/or reach out to students on here!
Feel free to message if you have any specific questions,
-Faye
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (37)
5.73%
Uncertainty around my education (76)
11.76%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (71)
10.99%
Lack of purpose or motivation (82)
12.69%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (37)
5.73%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (37)
5.73%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (69)
10.68%
Financial worries (41)
6.35%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (26)
4.02%
Exposure to negative news/social media (38)
5.88%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (18)
2.79%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (62)
9.6%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (52)
8.05%

Watched Threads