The Student Room Group

Embarassing dry hair/dandruff

What is the absolute best hair shampoo, leave in conditioner and oil for severely dry/damaged hair?

Scroll to see replies

Aussie hair oil, garnier hair mask is AMAZING
You can try a coconut oil hair mask. Natural and highly moisturizing.
If you're concerned about coconut oil clogging up drains, try fractionated coconut oil.
Head and Shoulders :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by dardasiya
You can try a coconut oil hair mask. Natural and highly moisturizing.
If you're concerned about coconut oil clogging up drains, try fractionated coconut oil.

If I bought shampoo, conditioner and hair oil from a single brand all for the purpose of dry and damaged hair, in what order do i use these items? Also, aren't hair masks like one off things that you use rather than an option for every day use.. i get dandruff and i am not sure when i get dandruff also my hair goes super dry if i use shampoo
Reply 5
Original post by Afrrcyn
Head and Shoulders :smile:

thread is now complete because of your contrbution however h&s i am not a fan of
Original post by Anonymous
thread is now complete because of your contrbution however h&s i am not a fan of

:frown:
Reply 7
If I bought shampoo, conditioner and hair oil from a single brand all for the purpose of dry and damaged hair, in what order do i use these items? Also, aren't hair masks like one off things that you use rather than an option for every day use.. i get dandruff and i am not sure when i get dandruff also my hair goes super dry if i use shampoo

Shampoo, condition, then hair oil I’d say. Hair masks I personally use three times a week.
I have tried T Gel and head and shoulders, both of which made my head worse! It was really bad at that stage, flakes on my shoulders and visible in my dark hair. Did some research on the internet, tried Body Shop ginger shampoo for dandruff (sceptical because it wasn’t a product available from a pharmacy IYKWIM). Complete transformation! Head not itchy, no flakes. Took about a week to start seeing results. That was 4 years ago.
Good luck!
Ps I think you can get body shop ginger dandruff conditioner too.
Original post by mary388
Shampoo, condition, then hair oil I’d say. Hair masks I personally use three times a week.

Nice. Also, I have dry skin as well as dandruff. So, do you think it would be good to simply use oil for the skin/scalp? Because I read somewhere too much oil causes dandruff so how do I solve both issues
can you not just wash your hair?
Original post by khadijaaaxxxx
can you not just wash your hair?

Bruh.. that's a very temporary solution and for example using super hot water would arguably make your problem worse and so it is not always easy to just wash hair. Some of us need extra nutrients to help out like oils
whats your race?
What is the absolute best hair shampoo, leave in conditioner and oil for severely dry/damaged hair?

I still get dandruff in my left eyebrow. I don't know why the left, and why just my eyebrow and nowhere else like my testicles. And I don't know what to it about it... besides shaving my eyebrow which I don't want to.
Nice. Also, I have dry skin as well as dandruff. So, do you think it would be good to simply use oil for the skin/scalp? Because I read somewhere too much oil causes dandruff so how do I solve both issues

it actually depends on the type of oil. I recommend to look up CGM (curly girl method). It doesn't matter if your hair is straight, because the whole thing is based on having healthy moisturaized balanced hair (because healthy hair means getting the best waves/curls you hair can have). We don't use silicons, drying sulfates and things like that. Also lot of people with curly hair have to deal with dry hair, so there is lot of information about hair masks (both commercial and homemade), which oils are best for hair and how to use them correctly, how get ridd of dandruff etc. On the websites or in facebook groups there are tons of people who had to deal with the same problems as you, and there will be ton of reccommendation on what shampoo is best at not drying the skin and hair out. Or just search "cgm oil masks". I am saying put the cgm before anything you search about things like this, because we can see better than people with straight hair if our hair is healthy. If my hair is a little overmoisturaized or undermoisturaized i will know the moment my first few strands of hair are dry. That helps to figure out the best ways to care for hair. I hope this is understendable, i think post is a bit of a mess lol.
From the looks of it, I would recommend Sebco but have a talk with your gp, if it's really bad consult a dermatologist
Original post by Catsarepurrfect
it actually depends on the type of oil. I recommend to look up CGM (curly girl method). It doesn't matter if your hair is straight, because the whole thing is based on having healthy moisturaized balanced hair (because healthy hair means getting the best waves/curls you hair can have). We don't use silicons, drying sulfates and things like that. Also lot of people with curly hair have to deal with dry hair, so there is lot of information about hair masks (both commercial and homemade), which oils are best for hair and how to use them correctly, how get ridd of dandruff etc. On the websites or in facebook groups there are tons of people who had to deal with the same problems as you, and there will be ton of reccommendation on what shampoo is best at not drying the skin and hair out. Or just search "cgm oil masks". I am saying put the cgm before anything you search about things like this, because we can see better than people with straight hair if our hair is healthy. If my hair is a little overmoisturaized or undermoisturaized i will know the moment my first few strands of hair are dry. That helps to figure out the best ways to care for hair. I hope this is understendable, i think post is a bit of a mess lol.

Different type of oil that causes dandruff so not say the argan oil in a conditioner or just hair oil in general that causes dandruff? And your post is cool dw
whats your race?

british Asian guy with parents from Bangladesh
british Asian guy with parents from Bangladesh

dandruff affects the asian community very strongly

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending