The Student Room Group

Do I have some form of PTSD from this experience?

Okay so when I was 15, I went on a school hiking trip from school and on this trip I nearly almost (literally) died. Like if I’d reacted 2-3 seconds later than I did than I would have fallen to my death. The day this happened I was essentially in shock for the remainder of that day and the worst thing was most of the people on the trip laughed about it because to them I was just ‘the girl that slipped and fell funny’. Obviously I didn’t wanna bring attention to myself so I had to force myself to laugh along with them because at that age, reputation is everything and I didn’t wanna stand out.
Basically, because I had to laugh about the situation I don’t think I ever really emotionally dealt with the situation and tricked myself into thinking I was ‘over it’. 5 years later and I still think about that experience and every time I think about it, I’m always on the verge of tears or actually crying. Just knowing that I was 2-3 seconds away from dying and even worse, almost destroying my parents’/siblings’ lives always makes me really emotional (understandably)
I really thought I was over it but the fact that I am still crying/ reliving parts of the experience makes me wonder if I just emotionally repressed the trauma and fear from that day and if I have some form of PTSD from it? Like I don’t have nightmares or anything about the experience but every time I think about it, I am either close to or actually crying...
Thinking back on it, it’s so twisted that nobody took it seriously, not even the teachers and I was forced into treating the fact that I almost died as a joke and I can’t believe I didn’t realise it at the time but I really should have complained against those teachers for literally making fun of the whole situation...
Reply 1
Potentially, might be worth going to your GP and seeking therapy to help you work through it.
Original post by Anonymous
Okay so when I was 15, I went on a school hiking trip from school and on this trip I nearly almost (literally) died. Like if I’d reacted 2-3 seconds later than I did than I would have fallen to my death. The day this happened I was essentially in shock for the remainder of that day and the worst thing was most of the people on the trip laughed about it because to them I was just ‘the girl that slipped and fell funny’. Obviously I didn’t wanna bring attention to myself so I had to force myself to laugh along with them because at that age, reputation is everything and I didn’t wanna stand out.
Basically, because I had to laugh about the situation I don’t think I ever really emotionally dealt with the situation and tricked myself into thinking I was ‘over it’. 5 years later and I still think about that experience and every time I think about it, I’m always on the verge of tears or actually crying. Just knowing that I was 2-3 seconds away from dying and even worse, almost destroying my parents’/siblings’ lives always makes me really emotional (understandably)
I really thought I was over it but the fact that I am still crying/ reliving parts of the experience makes me wonder if I just emotionally repressed the trauma and fear from that day and if I have some form of PTSD from it? Like I don’t have nightmares or anything about the experience but every time I think about it, I am either close to or actually crying...
Thinking back on it, it’s so twisted that nobody took it seriously, not even the teachers and I was forced into treating the fact that I almost died as a joke and I can’t believe I didn’t realise it at the time but I really should have complained against those teachers for literally making fun of the whole situation...

hi, that is horrible!
No wonder it hs left a bit of a scar on you. Especially how no one reassured you afterwards, which adds further stigma to it when you think back to it.

You seem self-aware of how you feel, which is great. Laughing about it definitely put another layer of fear over it when you didn't get that chance to fully process it and veil it with a 'coping mechanism'.

When you recollect it, seemingly it makes you panic, which definitely verifies what you say about not getting over it as you have such a reaction to it. Would you say it is a panic attack it sets off?
It depends about some form of PTSD, what triggers this memory? is it anytime you think of it, see anything online hiking related or see photos from that day?
If it is just when you think about it, i would say more anxiety over it than PTSD, as nothing, particularly in everyday things, triggers it.

I would definitely think of how you can get over this; the first step, a hard one, will be verbalizing it. Maybe asking for a referral for anxiety from a GP or describing this to them and the feelings it brings on when you think of it. Then talking through it and trying to stop thinking about it or having less intense feelings coming on when you think of it
Stop being dramatic. People actually have PTSD and this OP post just comes across as whining.
Reply 4
Original post by user1567945
hi, that is horrible!
No wonder it hs left a bit of a scar on you. Especially how no one reassured you afterwards, which adds further stigma to it when you think back to it.

You seem self-aware of how you feel, which is great. Laughing about it definitely put another layer of fear over it when you didn't get that chance to fully process it and veil it with a 'coping mechanism'.

When you recollect it, seemingly it makes you panic, which definitely verifies what you say about not getting over it as you have such a reaction to it. Would you say it is a panic attack it sets off?
It depends about some form of PTSD, what triggers this memory? is it anytime you think of it, see anything online hiking related or see photos from that day?
If it is just when you think about it, i would say more anxiety over it than PTSD, as nothing, particularly in everyday things, triggers it.

I would definitely think of how you can get over this; the first step, a hard one, will be verbalizing it. Maybe asking for a referral for anxiety from a GP or describing this to them and the feelings it brings on when you think of it. Then talking through it and trying to stop thinking about it or having less intense feelings coming on when you think of it

Yeah I randomly think about it at times for no particular reason and occasionally when I see things like chair lifts it sets off this response. I wouldn’t describe it as a panic attack but more just intense anxiety/ verge of crying
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah I randomly think about it at times for no particular reason and occasionally when I see things like chair lifts it sets off this response. I wouldn’t describe it as a panic attack but more just intense anxiety/ verge of crying

It definitely is a stressful event to relieve and still effects you a lot!
im not too sure about PTSD, especially if it doesn’t induce panic attacks.
but I would definitely recommend trying to find someone who you could comfortably talk it out with and try to overcome this.

have you ever verbally spoken to anyone about this?
if not it may play a big factor in how often it replays.

Quick Reply

Latest