P0larbear
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hey, I’m applying to Durham for 2021 entry and I was looking at colleges. I’ve heard that it’s best to apply for a college rather than to just apply to the university then get allocated one, so I wanted to know what people have heard or know about the colleges.

What are the formal dinners like? I know very little about them and can’t seem to find much information.
Is it difficult to live far from the lecture areas? My main favourites are about 1.5 miles from the main university, how difficult is it to get to and from the colleges and the lectures?

My current favourites are
- Josephine Butler’s
- John Snow
- St Cuthbert’s

Thanks!
annabelle51
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, another applicant here! What course are you applying for? I have applied to Castle for Classics but I kinda wish I chose Hatfield and am stressing out! Is there any way to change colleges once you are there (if you get an offer)
megascream
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No ideas about formals. The number of formals shrink due to covid and there are literally no opportunity to attend formals for a PhD living out. Maybe some undergrad will introduce that to you.

There is no "main university". My impression is that the longest distance between college and university buildings (from Butler to School of Education) is still around 30 mins, while you can reach most buildings (to Science sites) in around 15 mins. Yes, if you prefer Butler it is kind of the furthest college from the city centre. Snow is closer and Cuths is within. But they are all very close to each other and distance is not really a problem.
megascream
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by annabelle51)
Hi, another applicant here! What course are you applying for? I have applied to Castle for Classics but I kinda wish I chose Hatfield and am stressing out! Is there any way to change colleges once you are there (if you get an offer)
I'm not sure how to change (maybe need to apply and get consents from both colleges), but it is possible. I know if you get a scholarship from one college and are allocated to another, you will be changed to the funding college. Although this only applies to some rare cases, it shows they are not against changing colleges.
annabelle51
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by megascream)
I'm not sure how to change (maybe need to apply and get consents from both colleges), but it is possible. I know if you get a scholarship from one college and are allocated to another, you will be changed to the funding college. Although this only applies to some rare cases, it shows they are not against changing colleges.
Ok great thank you!
P0larbear
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by annabelle51)
Hey, I want to study Liberal Arts. Eventually decided to apply to St Cuth's, cause it's in a really beautiful place and it's close to faculty building I'll be spending most time in.
P0larbear
Rep:
?
(Original post by megascream)
No ideas about formals. The number of formals shrink due to covid and there are literally no opportunity to attend formals for a PhD living out. Maybe some undergrad will introduce that to you.

There is no "main university". My impression is that the longest distance between college and university buildings (from Butler to School of Education) is still around 30 mins, while you can reach most buildings (to Science sites) in around 15 mins. Yes, if you prefer Butler it is kind of the furthest college from the city centre. Snow is closer and Cuths is within. But they are all very close to each other and distance is not really a problem.
Thank you!
Anonymous #1
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by P0larbear)
Thank you!
They have done one true formal at John's this term and because of Covid restrictions it had to happen by household over a number of days so nothing like what would normally happen. They have also done some virtual formals too but they seem a bit odd. Because of Covid restrictions you will be lucky to get one each term even at a college that used to do them weekly as it is so difficult to arrange them.
P0larbear
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
They have done one true formal at John's this term and because of Covid restrictions it had to happen by household over a number of days so nothing like what would normally happen. They have also done some virtual formals too but they seem a bit odd. Because of Covid restrictions you will be lucky to get one each term even at a college that used to do them weekly as it is so difficult to arrange them.
Okay. Thanks, v. helpful
Anonymous #1
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by P0larbear)
Okay. Thanks, v. helpful
Also I wouldnt take too much from being near the faculty building. At the moment any in person teaching can be anywhere on campus as they have to take the room size into account to allow for social distancing so you may be at the science site or at the education centre (near hild bede) more than in a normal year. No where is that far though I think from the education centre to Jobo would be around 35-40 mins and that would be the farthest walk.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (237)
56.7%
I don't have everything I need (181)
43.3%

Watched Threads