I need help choosing options for my uni application for law

Watch
lilydf68
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
At the moment I am predicted BBB but that may go up to ABB soon so could you suggest some good universities for international law or something along those lines with BBB requirements, please?
Arden University
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi there,

We currently provide a Law degree with Qualifying Status that you may be interested in. It could be worth looking into due to the current situation we are going through and how inconsistent times are. Our entry requirements are very generous compared to other universities, and we also pride on how cheap our courses are compared also. Here's the link below.

https://arden.ac.uk/our-courses/blen...b-hons-blended

We also recently had a webinar giving students a taster into specific subjects. Here is the link for the law one which you may be interested in watching.

https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/rec...21721022148614

Toni,
Student Ambassador
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do NOT apply to Arden University.
Its a correspondence Uni based in an office block in Coventry.
It has zero academic credibility. Its a total waste of money.
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by lilydf68)
At the moment I am predicted BBB but that may go up to ABB soon so could you suggest some good universities for international law or something along those lines with BBB requirements, please?
'International Law'? Do you mean LLB Law with a language, or do you mean International Politics or International Relations?

For a straightforward LLB Law degree at BBB look at :
Aberystwyth
Plymouth
Greenwich
Winchester
Aston Birmingham
London South Bank
Bournemouth
Liverpool John Moores
Manchester Met
Sheffield Hallam
Brighton
Essex
DarleneWish
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Essex does offer law degree online if that's what you need (https://online.essex.ac.uk/online-degrees/). I also know that University of Law offers the same online. Check them out instead. I have tried to search for credibility of Arden university through university rankings and it's not even there. So please choose wisely.
Arden University
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
lilydf68
Just to build on Toni's feedback and address a matter raised by another poster to the thread. Arden University DOES have a high standard of academic practice, in the latest report from the QAA (who are a bit life Ofsted for Higher Education), they identified that;

The setting and maintenance of the academic standards of awards meets UK
expectations.
• The quality of student learning opportunities is commended.
• The quality of the information about learning opportunities meets UK expectations.
• The enhancement of student learning opportunities meets UK expectations

As a qualified teacher, with a 1st BA (Hons), a PGCE and PGCSendco, who has been a student at Arden for two years, I could not recommend the university enough

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Sheffield Hallam University
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey lilydf68,

We offer a LLB Law course with the entry requirements of BBB. Have a look at the course pages and see if the modules interest you! We have an online open day this Saturday where you can watch new course talks which look deeper into the course content, how you will study and the facilities you will use. We even have our own mock court rooms for students to use for practice! You can also chat live with course staff and current students about the course to se if there is an international element to it and also talk with other support services such as funding and accommodation.

You can sign up to the open day here. One of our TSR student ambassadors hallamstudents, Zaira studies Law so she could answer questions you may have now or in the future.

Let us know if you have any other questions about Sheffield Hallam or student life in Sheffield.
- Ella
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi lilydf68

As Ella mentioned I studied Law at Hallam. What made the course really stand out for me was how practical it was, for example in my third year I had the opportunity to go on placement in a law firm. This really helped me as I got to understand how the law works in real life and what areas I may like and dislike. I would recommend taking a look at the different modules offered and see if they look interesting to you. I really enjoyed the fact I was able to choose elective modules and study topics I was really passionate about.

I was also able to attend/join networking events, mock assessment centres and a mentoring programme. These opportunities helped me meet people within the legal field and also understand how I can make my applications stand out.

I hope this helps

Zaira
Last edited by hallamstudents; 1 month ago
lilydf68
Rep:
?
(Original post by Arden University)
Hi there,

We currently provide a Law degree with Qualifying Status that you may be interested in. It could be worth looking into due to the current situation we are going through and how inconsistent times are. Our entry requirements are very generous compared to other universities, and we also pride on how cheap our courses are compared also. Here's the link below.

https://arden.ac.uk/our-courses/blen...b-hons-blended

We also recently had a webinar giving students a taster into specific subjects. Here is the link for the law one which you may be interested in watching.

https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/rec...21721022148614

Toni,
Student Ambassador
Hello Toni, thanks so much for your reply I will definitely look into this further!
lilydf68
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
Do NOT apply to Arden University.
Its a correspondence Uni based in an office block in Coventry.
It has zero academic credibility. Its a total waste of money.
oh my thanks so much for the heads up!
lilydf68
Rep:
?
(Original post by DarleneWish)
Essex does offer law degree online if that's what you need (https://online.essex.ac.uk/online-degrees/). I also know that University of Law offers the same online. Check them out instead. I have tried to search for credibility of Arden university through university rankings and it's not even there. So please choose wisely.
thanks for having a look and yeah I've heard a lot of negatives about Arden so I don think I will be applying there. i will defo have a look into essex!!
lilydf68
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
'International Law'? Do you mean LLB Law with a language, or do you mean International Politics or International Relations?

For a straightforward LLB Law degree at BBB look at :
Aberystwyth
Plymouth
Greenwich
Winchester
Aston Birmingham
London South Bank
Bournemouth
Liverpool John Moores
Manchester Met
Sheffield Hallam
Brighton
Essex
thanks so much these are great suggestions I will defo take a deeper look into them!
lilydf68
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sheffield Hallam University)
Hey lilydf68,

We offer a LLB Law course with the entry requirements of BBB. Have a look at the course pages and see if the modules interest you! We have an online open day this Saturday where you can watch new course talks which look deeper into the course content, how you will study and the facilities you will use. We even have our own mock court rooms for students to use for practice! You can also chat live with course staff and current students about the course to se if there is an international element to it and also talk with other support services such as funding and accommodation.

You can sign up to the open day here. One of our TSR student ambassadors hallamstudents, Zaira studies Law so she could answer questions you may have now or in the future.

Let us know if you have any other questions about Sheffield Hallam or student life in Sheffield.
- Ella
hey Ella, i have actually decided to include Sheffield Hallam in my application as after I saw this I find that it actually meets all of my personal requirements! thanks so much for your reply, that's so cool about the mock courtrooms I actually didn't know so that definitely improved my opinion of Hallam which was already pretty great. (: also I was wondering what you thought about student life and nightlife in Sheffield.
- Lily
lilydf68
Rep:
?
(Original post by hallamstudents)
Hi lilydf68

As Ella mentioned I studied Law at Hallam. What made the course really stand out for me was how practical it was, for example in my third year I had the opportunity to go on placement in a law firm. This really helped me as I got to understand how the law works in real life and what areas I may like and dislike. I would recommend taking a look at the different modules offered and see if they look interesting to you. I really enjoyed the fact I was able to choose elective modules and study topics I was really passionate about.

I was also able to attend/join networking events, mock assessment centres and a mentoring programme. These opportunities helped me meet people within the legal field and also understand how I can make my applications stand out.

I hope this helps

Zaira
hello Zaira, thanks so much for your reply. this all sounds so great especially the placement year, I was wondering, do you know if there is an optional year abroad for this course, or is it only a placement that's offered. i have had a look at the modules and they all seem very interesting so this course is most definitely in the running.
- Lily
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hello Zaira, thanks so much for your reply. this all sounds so great especially the placement year, I was wondering, do you know if there is an optional year abroad for this course, or is it only a placement that's offered. i have had a look at the modules and they all seem very interesting so this course is most definitely in the running.
- Lily
Hi lilydf68

So the placement I went on was actually one of my modules in third year, so I went once a week. However, from looking on the website it does appear that there is also an option to take a placement year. I know a few of my friends on the course were able to go to the United States in the summer after second year for some legal experience.

On the website it does also say "There are opportunities to study abroad at one of our partner universities with the possibility of funding through the Erasmus programme (subject to the UK’s continued participation in the Erasmus programme following the Brexit transition period)." So this may be another option.

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any further questions

Zaira
lilydf68
Rep:
?
(Original post by hallamstudents)
Hi lilydf68

So the placement I went on was actually one of my modules in third year, so I went once a week. However, from looking on the website it does appear that there is also an option to take a placement year. I know a few of my friends on the course were able to go to the United States in the summer after second year for some legal experience.

On the website it does also say "There are opportunities to study abroad at one of our partner universities with the possibility of funding through the Erasmus programme (subject to the UK’s continued participation in the Erasmus programme following the Brexit transition period)." So this may be another option.

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any further questions

Zaira
ahhhh right, thats brilliant the usa is actually where I was planning on going for a placement year so thanks so much for letting me know!!
- lily
Sheffield Hallam University
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hey Ella, i have actually decided to include Sheffield Hallam in my application as after I saw this I find that it actually meets all of my personal requirements! thanks so much for your reply, that's so cool about the mock courtrooms I actually didn't know so that definitely improved my opinion of Hallam which was already pretty great. (: also I was wondering what you thought about student life and nightlife in Sheffield.
- Lily
Hi Lily lilydf68,

That's great to hear I'm glad you find my information helpful, did you manage to attend one of our virtual open days? It's a great opportunity to learn more about the course through in-depth course talks with course leaders and the chance to chat live to academics and current students! Our final autumn open day is in the evening on Wednesday 9th December with live chat taking place 5-7pm - you can register here. The mock courtrooms are really cool, I've seen them for myself and I'm glad our student ambassador Zaira has been able to give you some more detail.

Although I'm not a student, student life in Sheffield is amazing, the city is quite big but so easy to get around and both campuses are in the city centre so not far from each other. The city is geared to student life with many independent cafes and shops offering their own student discounts and huge mix of student venues. It is very affordable in terms of accommodation which you can book through us and you can even get a £1 bus with your student card. You can find out more about student life at in the city in our student guide to Sheffield!

Good luck with your application, let me know if you need anything else!
- Ella
Aberystwyth University Student Ambassador
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi lilydf68,

I am a current 3rd year student at Aberystwyth and I am really enjoying it here!

Aberystwyth is a great place to be a student, there is a great feel to the town and there is always plenty to do and see. The University has a very friendly and welcoming feel and has even been named Welsh University of the Year for 2020 in The Sunday Times Good University Guide.

The Law Department at Aberystwyth is the oldest and most established in Wales and we are in the Top 10 in the UK for Student Experience for the subject of Law (The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019). Within the degree there are many social and professional opportunities (e.g. isits to Law Fairs and Inns of Court in London) and options to do a work placement module in different areas of law. The course is taught by professionals who are active for large organisations e.g. GRETA, the Country Side Commission for Wales, the Youth Justice Board, the United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights.

The Bar Standards Board and the Solicitors Regulation Authority recognise the degree - providing a direct route into the legal profession.

Looking at the modules offered at each university is a really good way of comparing the courses to see which may interest you more. This is something I did when comparing universities when I applied and helped me make my decision. It may also be worth looking at how each course is assessed, to compare which style of assessment may suit the way you work best. Rankings are useful to look at, but it is also important to think about how the course is suited to your interests and future career goals and the skills you will get from the course. Also looking to see if the courses are accredited may also be useful in comparing courses.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Rebecca 😊
nutristudentbu
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Definitely look into Bournemouth too, I don't know a lot about the law course other than a friend from boat club back in first year who was fascinated by it and found the staff really helpful. Bournemouth is a great town though, so other than looking at the course at each uni and the required grades have a think about where you want to live for 3-5 years of your life! Look into placement opportunities too :-)
lilydf68
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sheffield Hallam University)
Hi Lily lilydf68,

That's great to hear I'm glad you find my information helpful, did you manage to attend one of our virtual open days? It's a great opportunity to learn more about the course through in-depth course talks with course leaders and the chance to chat live to academics and current students! Our final autumn open day is in the evening on Wednesday 9th December with live chat taking place 5-7pm - you can register here. The mock courtrooms are really cool, I've seen them for myself and I'm glad our student ambassador Zaira has been able to give you some more detail.

Although I'm not a student, student life in Sheffield is amazing, the city is quite big but so easy to get around and both campuses are in the city centre so not far from each other. The city is geared to student life with many independent cafes and shops offering their own student discounts and huge mix of student venues. It is very affordable in terms of accommodation which you can book through us and you can even get a £1 bus with your student card. You can find out more about student life at in the city in our student guide to Sheffield!

Good luck with your application, let me know if you need anything else!
- Ella
Thanks so much for all your help Ella! I applied a few days ago and I received a fantastic offer for law and criminology and an unconditional place somewhere else.
Hope you’re well!
- lily
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (20)
13.16%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (42)
27.63%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (63)
41.45%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (23)
15.13%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
2.63%

Watched Threads