The Student Room Group

Radiology placements

Hello!!

Hoping some existing students can help me!

I'm debating between diagnostic and therapeutic radiology for 2022 (uwe) - my concern is the shift work as a student. Not because I have any issues with doing night shifts but because logistically my other half leaves the house at 430am for work- and I have two young children who obviously can't be left home alone! So there would be a window of time id need to find some cover.

I could do a few nights if we negotiate holiday and other childcare but my question really is how much of your placement over the three years is made up of nights?

I come from an oncology background so therapeutic appeals to me but I also like the idea of sonography so diagnostic has a big appeal as well!

After any opinions or thoughts on your own experiences!

Thanks!
As you're probably aware, there is no 24 hour working in Therapeutic Radiography. There may be some extended days (start a couple of hours early/finish a couple of hours late), and some weekend work as well, but that will be for the staff, not the students. I certainly haven't been told of any requirements to do either as a student. We have 4 fixed days a week on placement, and one fixed day "off" for study.

Diagnostic is 24/7, but nights aren't fully staffed like days are. When I did my work experience I was told they fill the night shifts with volunteers who want the extra money. Students weren't required to work nights, but they get them to do a few during placement just so they get an idea of what goes on. Of course, this may vary from course to course and hospital to hospital.
You might need to find childcare for that time period. But radiographers do not have to work twenty four hours however. They work extended days. Some weekend work is needed on the part of the staff who are trained but not new students to the unit. I do not know of any British radiography team, unit or department who works non stop. It is shift based in other words. On a student work experience placement for trainee students you might work a few days a week then rest on one day. You could ask someone to tell you the number of work hours.

The world of diagnostic imaging is a totally different kettle of fish though. Staff do not work nights unlike days. Instead they work on a shift based system. My cousin was told they fill that time with wholly unsuspecting volunteers who need the experience for college or uni in order to plug the skill gap.

Quick Reply

Latest