The Student Room Group

English creative writing

I started doing creative writing just at 10 minutes before the exam ended.. however I managed to do a page and a bit. i started writing about the description of the settings in my story and that’s it what is the max mark I could get? I’m so scared as it’s out of 40
Original post by jae jae
I started doing creative writing just at 10 minutes before the exam ended.. however I managed to do a page and a bit. i started writing about the description of the settings in my story and that’s it what is the max mark I could get? I’m so scared as it’s out of 40

Well, given that you didn't start your piece until 10 minutes before the exam ended your mark is unlikely to fairly high. It does depend on quality over quantity, but with only ten minutes left it's difficult to plan and spit out anything that's any good. It honestly depends on how good what you wrote is. If it's cohesive, technically competent, and engaging, you might do reasonably okay despite the short length.

But was this an actual official, counts-towards-your-grade exam or just a mock exam? If it's a mock exam, the things I would take away are mainly, leave more time for your creative writing piece. Especially if you're a creative-writing minded person. 40 marks I as a lot of marks and you want to get as many of those as you can. By the sounds of it, you need better time management.

It's almost 4 years since I did my GCSEs, so I'm not completely familiar with any changes that might have been made to the exam structure. But you do need to look at the marks for the questions and assign time to them appropriately. If it's a 10 mark question, you don't really want to be spending more than 10-15 marks on it. A big 40 mark answer should definitely have around 40 minutes spent on it. You also need to remember to leave time to plan. I would ask your teacher to go through a past exam paper with you and give you estimates of how long you ought to spend on each question. Then I would make sure to take a watch in your exams with you. Preferably an analogue watch but a bog-standard digital watch would be fine as well (as long as its not a smartwatch of any kind, you should be fine). That way you have the time in front of you and can keep on eye on how long you're spending on each question. Make sure to stick to your times as much as possible. A little flexibility is fine, but you really shouldn't be spending only 10 minutes on a 40 mark question.

I hope this is helpful! Please let me know if I can be of any more help, and good luck for your exam!
Reply 2
Original post by JustACoincidence
Well, given that you didn't start your piece until 10 minutes before the exam ended your mark is unlikely to fairly high. It does depend on quality over quantity, but with only ten minutes left it's difficult to plan and spit out anything that's any good. It honestly depends on how good what you wrote is. If it's cohesive, technically competent, and engaging, you might do reasonably okay despite the short length.

But was this an actual official, counts-towards-your-grade exam or just a mock exam? If it's a mock exam, the things I would take away are mainly, leave more time for your creative writing piece. Especially if you're a creative-writing minded person. 40 marks I as a lot of marks and you want to get as many of those as you can. By the sounds of it, you need better time management.

It's almost 4 years since I did my GCSEs, so I'm not completely familiar with any changes that might have been made to the exam structure. But you do need to look at the marks for the questions and assign time to them appropriately. If it's a 10 mark question, you don't really want to be spending more than 10-15 marks on it. A big 40 mark answer should definitely have around 40 minutes spent on it. You also need to remember to leave time to plan. I would ask your teacher to go through a past exam paper with you and give you estimates of how long you ought to spend on each question. Then I would make sure to take a watch in your exams with you. Preferably an analogue watch but a bog-standard digital watch would be fine as well (as long as its not a smartwatch of any kind, you should be fine). That way you have the time in front of you and can keep on eye on how long you're spending on each question. Make sure to stick to your times as much as possible. A little flexibility is fine, but you really shouldn't be spending only 10 minutes on a 40 mark question.

I hope this is helpful! Please let me know if I can be of any more help, and good luck for your exam!

From your point of view what max mark could I get regardless of (quantity?) and quality. 1-10?
Thanks though!
Original post by jae jae
From your point of view what max mark could I get regardless of (quantity?) and quality. 1-10?
Thanks though!

As I said, it's been a while since I did my GCSEs so I take what I say with a pinch of salt. Given the amount of time I would expect to spend on this question, I'd say you'd be incredibly lucky to get half-marks or even around 15-17 marks. 10 minutes isn't that long of a time, especially at the end of an exam when your fingers are cramping and you're in a bit of a rush. If your quality is fairly good, then you might make it above ten marks. This is just my thoughts though. All depends on what the marker thinks of it.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending