The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Not sure, hopefully someone else can help
Original post by Alisha26.
Hi, how would I relate the alevels I have studied to Diagnostic Radiography

The Alevels are Biology, Chemistry and Psychology. Thank youu!!!!!!!

You don’t need to do this. It’s a horrible waste of space and isn’t personal or about your subject.

Admissions staff know what benefits different A level subjects offer in preparing applicants for their courses. They don’t need to read 500 different explanations of the same thing.
Reply 3
I’d disagree, definitely look into the skills which cross over. E.g. biology being about living things and humans (of course plants too) radiography being about people too. Obviously more specific but I don’t know much about radiography. I’m applying for psychology as a degree so I spoke about my evaluative and statistical skills from maths and my essay subjects so they know i can do well on that course! :smile:
Original post by mary388
I’d disagree, definitely look into the skills which cross over. E.g. biology being about living things and humans (of course plants too) radiography being about people too. Obviously more specific but I don’t know much about radiography. I’m applying for psychology as a degree so I spoke about my evaluative and statistical skills from maths and my essay subjects so they know i can do well on that course! :smile:

I have over a decades experience working in admissions.

While a lot of applicants do what you’ve done (because teachers often advise it) it doesn’t add anything of value to a PS and wastes space that could be used for something more personal.
For a subject like the OPs where the PS is far more important than for psychology (where it’s all but unknown for applicants to be rejected due to their PS even if their PS is dire) then I definitely would advise against wasting space on something so generic
Original post by PQ

Ditto. We do know what we are talking about !

For any vocational course connected to the NHS you need to use the PS to show that you understand the realities of the job - not wittering on about your A levels. More than anything you need to show (examples...) that you have the physical and emotional resilience to cope, that you have 'care' experience, and that you understand the NHS values - https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/working-health/working-nhs/nhs-constitution - and how the role you are applying for works within the wider NHS.
Reply 6
Original post by PQ

While a lot of applicants do what you’ve done (because teachers often advise it) it doesn’t add anything of value to a PS and wastes space that could be used for something more personal.
For a subject like the OPs where the PS is far more important than for psychology (where it’s all but unknown for applicants to be rejected due to their PS even if their PS is dire) then I definitely would advise against wasting space on something so generic

Well how on earth would I have known that? You didn’t mention it so as far as I know you were just another student.
Original post by mary388
Well how on earth would I have known that? You didn’t mention it so as far as I know you were just another student.

It shouldnt matter who reads your answer, if you are not certain of your response, not sure that you are giving the correct answer, then you need to phrase it accordingly. Its fine to answer but 'I'm not sure about this but...' is a good way of starting your response.
Reply 8
Original post by McGinger
Ditto. We do know what we are talking about !

For any vocational course connected to the NHS you need to use the PS to show that you understand the realities of the job - not wittering on about your A levels. More than anything you need to show (examples...) that you have the physical and emotional resilience to cope, that you have 'care' experience, and that you understand the NHS values - https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/working-health/working-nhs/nhs-constitution - and how the role you are applying for works within the wider NHS.

Thank you soo much - really helpful
Reply 9
Original post by PQ

Thank you!
Hi Alisha, I totally dispute the comment given to you about ignoring your A levels because these are vital for the universities to offer you a place. You can relate it by saying studying biology (what aspects do you really enjoy? is it to learn about human tissues organs etc anything that you learn from the subject) you can also do the same with your other subjects and I am sure there is some parts that you enjoy the most- this also shows that it is link to healthcare profession. maybe in biology, you do some laboratory work. Today, I have to submit my personal statement but I managed to relate science, biology and chemistry that I am currently studying (Access to human sciences) I am planning to study diagnostic radiography. of course, linking the subjects is way too stressful for many of us. You can do it! Good luck.
Hi, I got an Unconditional offer to study Diagnostic Radiography starting this September 2023. I mentioned my subjects but wrote what I learnt from each subject area but did not connect it to Radiography. For example; Psychology helped me to enhance my planning skills, showed me how to efficiently collect and analyse data, display and communicate my thoughts, and develop my problem-solving abilities further etc

Latest