The Student Room Group

Good sixth form colleges in London

Hi,
I’m in year 11 and I am currently looking for good sixth form colleges that are doing academically well and I can do well in. I don’t mind where it is in London cos I don’t mind the travel.

Scroll to see replies

That Harris Westminster is supposed to be alright.
Reply 2
A quick rundown on some sixth forms here
Excellent: Woodhouse, St Olaves, Fortismere, LAE, Brampton Manor, Latymer
Good: CTK, Thomas Tallis, Woolwich Poly, Oasis South Bank, Harris, Dartford Grammar
Average: SFX, Haringey, Newvic, Plumstead Manor, Haberdashers Askes, Prendergast, Havering, New City,
Terrible (aka the ghetto places): BSix, Shooters Hill, John Roan, Bexleyheath Academy, Sedgehill, Crown Woods, Lea Valley
Reply 3
project brampton manor
@dylgeo which CTK is the best?
Reply 5
Original post by AlexandreThe1st
@dylgeo which CTK is the best?

Probably Brockley, considering how it’s highly selective and you need at least 5 7’s to get in, then Sidcup, which is a general sixth form, then Lewisham, which no longer does A-levels and is just another degree mill outputting BTEC qualifications.
Reply 6
mate if u genuinely don't mind the travel it's gotta be Brampton Manor, but others LAE in Stratford.

Also staying at your current school is always an option, the grass isn't always greener on the other side.
Original post by dylgeo
Good: CTK, Thomas Tallis, Woolwich Poly, Oasis South Bank, Harris, Dartford Grammar
Average: SFX, Haringey, Newvic, Plumstead Manor, Haberdashers Askes, Prendergast, Havering, New City,
Terrible (aka the ghetto places): BSix, Shooters Hill, John Roan, Bexleyheath Academy, Sedgehill, Crown Woods, Lea Valley

What about dunraven, Shirley high and the norwood school
Original post by dylgeo

I went to the Woolwich Poly sixth form and secondary school. It was horrible.
brampton mannor
wembley high tech college
Reply 10
Original post by AlexandreThe1st
Hi,
I’m in year 11 and I am currently looking for good sixth form colleges that are doing academically well and I can do well in. I don’t mind where it is in London cos I don’t mind the travel.

To be real honest, all sixth forms are good. Otherwise they would be under tight inspection. Do your own research on colleges, don't just take someone's good or bad word for it. It's your future, not theirs. Here are some tips

Check Results In your chosen subject area.
Some colleges may have better results in different subject areas but overall results may seem average. Some may have good overall results, but in your subject area of study it may not be so great.

Check Progress Scores.
If a college has a good progress score, it will mean a student started say, with an expectation to finish with a C grade, but actually finished the course with an A grade. The progress score shows how good or bad a college overall is at getting students to improve.
A positive score means an overall improvement in the standard of student expectations.
A 0 score means no improvement.
A negative score means an overall drop in the standard of students starting expectations.

Once you have narrowed down your choices. Visit (lockdown restrictions) or Call, ask if you could speak to someone from your chosen course/subject.

This might seem like a long task. But it's what I would suggest if you really want to know how good a college is right now. Instead of some past reputation, be that good or bad.
Hope this all helps. 🤟
Original post by dylgeo

Woodhouse is mediocre at best.

Fortismere has good results, but is so Muswell Hill you can taste it. All the girls are princesses and all the boys are skaterboys. All they do is live for the drugs that all their BBC / media / lawyer parents are doing.
Original post by Trinculo

Fortismere has good results, but is so Muswell Hill you can taste it. All the girls are princesses and all the boys are skaterboys. All they do is live for the drugs that all their BBC / media / lawyer parents are doing.

Oh- what schools do u recommend then?? 🤣💀
Original post by 🧡Hajera
Oh- what schools do u recommend then?? 🤣💀

As someone else said - under normal circumstances it doesn't really matter. For wont of Covid, most VI Forms will be much the same as any other. If you're on core subjects you are unlikely to have too many idiots in the class. The main thing is how lazy the teachers are and how much (little) they think they can get away with. They've been shown by Covid to be as idle and feckless as many people have always known.

It largely comes down to what else you want out of it - what kind environment suits you, how much structure, where your friends are and what else they are offering.
As someone else said - under normal circumstances it doesn't really matter. For wont of Covid, most VI Forms will be much the same as any other. If you're on core subjects you are unlikely to have too many idiots in the class. The main thing is how lazy the teachers are and how much (little) they think they can get away with. They've been shown by Covid to be as idle and feckless as many people have always known.

It largely comes down to what else you want out of it - what kind environment suits you, how much structure, where your friends are and what else they are offering.

Well if I get into both it would be between dunraven and coulsdon sixth form college as my skl sixth form doesn’t offer the main subject I wanna do.

Ihave friends going coulsdon and there id do graphics media and double btec computer science

Dunraven would have none of my friends and I would do graphics media and business (and maybe also ict).
Original post by dylgeo

St Dominics is also good.
Reply 16

woodhouse is mediocre? am i missing something i thought it was really good, it’s literally a top school and most if not all students pass their A-levels there
Original post by s.ghaz
woodhouse is mediocre? am i missing something i thought it was really good, it’s literally a top school and most if not all students pass their A-levels there

Show me anything that demonstrates it is a top school, or even "really good".

Most students pass their A-levels everywhere.
LAE, Brampton, UCGS

Quick Reply