The Student Room Group

its been 5 years since I started my a levels, have I messed up my life?

I chose the wrong subjects, mathematics physics and economics, I was forced to repeat a year because a family member was terminally ill and I had to look after them before they eventually died.

After those three years my results were B,D and E for a levels. I wasn't satisfied with those results, I felt that if not for choosing the wrong subjects and my family members terminal illness I could have done better . So I've taken up 2 new a levels at distance learning and I am retaking Economics.

have I messed my life up already considering thats 5 years since I started?
Reply 1
Why would that mess up your life? What are you aiming to do after your A levels?
Reply 2
Original post by ajj2000
Why would that mess up your life? What are you aiming to do after your A levels?

because people do their a levels after 2 years, I'm finishing them after 5

I want to study sustainable development
(edited 3 years ago)
Not at all! It's not a race by any means. If anything, it's admirable that you decided to keep on at it rather than giving up. This way, if you do well, you won't have to regret getting bad results. You keep at this at your pace, and don't worry what anyone else is doing :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Plufouree

That in no way messes up your life (for most careers - for some its an issue). Some people change degrees part way through, some spend a couple of years getting a break into a career and then find they don't like it. There is no mad rush to graduate at 21 and go straight into a lifelong career.
Reply 5

Well the fact you know what you are aiming for puts you years ahead of most students.No rush and well done for pursuing your dream.
To put it another way, you must be ~23? So you've still got another 40+ working years ahead of you. Those 5 years is nothing in the grand scheme of things.
Reply 7
Original post by HellomynameisNev
To put it another way, you must be ~23? So you've still got another 40+ working years ahead of you. Those 5 years is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

I'm 21 and thank you
Since you have a plan ahead. You haven't messed up your life.
Hi there,

Sometimes we are thrown curve balls in our life to strengthen us as human beings and make us realize that we can overcome anything and come out stronger on the other side. While life is not perfect, you should never give up on your aspirations and future goals due to things you are not in control of. Looking at the positive side of things, you put things aside and cared for those who were coming to the end of their life - a very admirable thing to do.

5 years, while it may seem long, is not really that long at all and you can always work your way back up to where you want to be. Do not give up due to getting results you are not completely happy with. Do not stress over bad decisions you might have made in your past and focus on your future and the now. You have the opportunity, with a new found form of learning through distance learning, to complete the A-Levels that you want and aspire to be whatever you want to be. Many individuals start out their educational journey a lot later than usual, and still succeed.

You've still got your whole life ahead of you!

Toni,
Student Ambassador
I chose the wrong subjects, mathematics physics and economics, I was forced to repeat a year because a family member was terminally ill and I had to look after them before they eventually died.

After those three years my results were B,D and E for a levels. I wasn't satisfied with those results, I felt that if not for choosing the wrong subjects and my family members terminal illness I could have done better . So I've taken up 2 new a levels at distance learning and I am retaking Economics.

Your still so young haha. I can understand why you stressing because I had those thoughts too and I went till 27 without doing anything about it. I dropped out of my alevels half way through...

I studied Physics at Open university (IOP accredited course) while working full time in a warehouse. I finished it in 3 years. 5 years later I am a senior engineer at a spacecraft company (top 10 engineering company) in the UK and I earn £45k+, which changed my life. I'm confident my skills and knowledge will always be in demand.

My advice is stick with science and maths, technical jobs are increasing and automation is going to take a lot of these economic and administrative style jobs away. Think what the world maybe like in 20+years.
Reply 11
Original post by Davidswift9
Your still so young haha. I can understand why you stressing because I had those thoughts too and I went till 27 without doing anything about it. I dropped out of my alevels half way through...

I studied Physics at Open university (IOP accredited course) while working full time in a warehouse. I finished it in 3 years. 5 years later I am a senior engineer at a spacecraft company (top 10 engineering company) in the UK and I earn £45k+, which changed my life. I'm confident my skills and knowledge will always be in demand.

My advice is stick with science and maths, technical jobs are increasing and automation is going to take a lot of these economic and administrative style jobs away. Think what the world maybe like in 20+years.

but I'm terrible at those subjects ahahah

I can do parts of maths , but that's counteracted by the parts I couldn't do (statistics mainly)

thanks for the advice though

@Plufouree
It is natural to feel some anxiety about your progress at any level, I had a similar experience. I struggled with my GCSE's, and picked the wrong A Levels for me and went to work in retail for a year. I decided to go back to college and do A Levels again, and eventually I got a 1st BA Hons degree and now I am doing my Masters. Sometimes in life circumstances can work against you, but to me you sound really motivated and the self awareness that you are showing is usually associated with level 5 upward!

If you were interested in a business type subject like economics, there are some great business degree's and masters programs at Arden University which might interest you https://arden.ac.uk/our-courses

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Hi, I did absolutely awful in my A levels!!!! I am now 22 nearly 23 and have just applied for vet med and got an offer! I have definitely learnt that bad A level results aren't the be-all and end-all. There are no many different routes you can take to get into uni. I did a HE access diploma course which was online based and all course work as well. You can also have the opportunity to gain so many different skills in a job as well. I always tried to look at it in a positive light where I have taken some time out and thought about what I really wanted to do, you still have so much time!!!

Quite possibly, but don't be too hard on yourself! A lot depends on what you GENUINELY want to do with your life, and what you're enthusiastic about. In some situations, it's a case of pushy parents steering you in a given direction, with no regard whatever ever for your own personal desires.

It's easy to fall victim to this and many parents manipulate their offspring in subtle ways without them being aware of it, believing that they know best, and it's for their own good, when it very often isn't!

Really good parents are aware of the dangers, and take care to engage properly with their children. The brightest maths lecturer I ever knew (an Oxford graduate) actually had a daughter working in Tesco, and why not if that's what made her happy!

No! We have many students who come to us having changed their minds on what subjects they want to study and/or who have been affected by difficult circumstances outside of their control. You don't get just one chance!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending