Random facts thread- 🥸✨🪴

Watch
Summerneive
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
To boost my knowledge about random stuff! Go on!
Summerneive
Rep:
?
One of the most expensive pets in the world are Green monkeys!
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Chinese Astrology is kind of cool
stereotypeasian
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
One of the earliest recorded recipes for beer dates back about ~10,000 years ago to Mesopotamia, aka modern day Iraq and surrounding regions (the borders were different then to what they are now).
Obolinda
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
fun idea!

got this off the internet, lol

The blob of toothpaste that sits on your toothbrush has a name.
It's called a "nurdle," and there was a lawsuit over which toothpaste company had the right to depict it.
Hellohsjakodsmka
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I'll be doing lots of psychology fact spamming

Lots of studies have shown that men tend to be attracted to faces with neotenous features such as widely separated, large eyes and small noses because they trigger a protective instinct.

Also, the characteristics that people consider to be physically attractive are consistent across cultures. Cunningham et al. found that the female features of large eyes, a small nose and high eyebrows were rated as attractive by white, Hispanic and Asian males. This suggests that people will be considering these universally attractive treats when applying the matching hypothesis in selecting romantic partners. The theories can be generalised to the entire human population and are not ethnocentric.

Walster and Walster proposed the matching hypothesis - where people tend to choose romantic partners who are a roughly similar level of attraction to themselves. When choosing a partner, a person first must assess their own value in the eyes if a potential romantic partner and then select the best candidates who are most likely going to be attracted to them.

However, psychologists have proposed that the reason doesn't always support the matching hypothesis because people come to a relationship offering many desirable characteristics of which physical attraction is only one. Often what a person lacks in physical attraction they make up for with a great personality, status, wealth. A typical example of complex matching is when an older, wealthy and successful man pairs up with a younger, attractive women. So, it is reductionist to suggest that physical attraction is the sole contribution to attraction.
Last edited by Hellohsjakodsmka; 2 months ago
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by tinygirl96)
Chinese Astrology is kind of cool
That's not a fact that's a personal opinion.

Spoiler:
Show
And that's a fact.
username5398218
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Hellohsjakodsmka)

Lots of studies have shown that men tend to be attracted to faces with neotenous features such as widely separated, large eyes and small noses because they trigger a protective instinct.

Also, the characteristics that people consider to be physically attractive are consistent across cultures. Cunningham et al. found that the female features of large eyes, a small nose and high eyebrows were rated as attractive by white, Hispanic and Asian males. This suggests that people will be considering these universally attractive treats when applying the matching hypothesis in selecting romantic partners. The theories can be generalised to the entire human population and are not ethnocentric.

Walster and Walster proposed the matching hypothesis - where people tend to choose romantic partners who are a roughly similar level of attraction to themselves. When choosing a partner, a person first must assess their own value in the eyes if a potential romantic partner and then select the best candidates who are most likely going to be attracted to them.

However, psychologists have proposed that the reason doesn't always support the matching hypothesis because people come to a relationship offering many desirable characteristics of which physical attraction is only one. Often what a person lacks in physical attraction they make up for with a great personality, status, wealth. A typical example of complex matching is when an older, wealthy and successful man pairs up with a younger, attractive women. So, it is reductionist to suggest that physical attraction is the sole contribution to attraction.
Hellohsjakodsmka is arabic for procrastinate
-Nova-
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Bulls are actually green and red colour blind, so they don't get 'angry' at matadors for waving a red piece of cloth, its the motion apparently.
Hellohsjakodsmka
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Golderz Is Great)
Hellohsjakodsmka is arabic for procrastinate
يماطل is Arabic for procrastinate, actually.
username5398218
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
i know but i cant say that your name is much easier
tinygirl96
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

I love psychology and philosophy.
username5398218
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
whats arabic for goldie is great
Summerneive
Rep:
?
(Original post by -Nova-)
Bulls are actually green and red colour blind, so they don't get 'angry' at matadors for waving a red piece of cloth, its the motion apparently.
Oh okay,up until now I thought they actually disliked the colour red. :tong:
bethg1820
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
The hashtag symbol is technically called an octothorpe
Summerneive
Rep:
?
(Original post by bethg1820)
The hashtag symbol is technically called an octothorpe
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (86)
64.66%
I don't have everything I need (47)
35.34%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise