The Student Room Group

what is it like studying maths at uni?

can anyone give me some insight into doing any sort of maths degree at uni? is the content really hard and full on compared to school, do you find it a lot harder to pick up and understand the stuff. I like maths but I do find it hard and I don't want to feel overwhelmed!
Original post by lenakant
can anyone give me some insight into doing any sort of maths degree at uni? is the content really hard and full on compared to school, do you find it a lot harder to pick up and understand the stuff. I like maths but I do find it hard and I don't want to feel overwhelmed!

Hello! :smile:

I'm a third year maths student at UoB and can absolutely give you a bit of an insight!
So firstly I'd say that it's different to maths in school, but that's definitely not a bad thing. I like to say that it's not so much a "step up" but rather a "step to the side"! The content in first year is actually very similar to things you will have seen in maths A-levels, just taught in a different way. You might, for example, look at why the quotient rule for differentiation works, rather than the actual calculation. Concepts like proofs become more important, and the reasons behind the methods you use are studied a lot more.

I don't think that the content or timetable is very hard compared to school, just very different! Maths isn't an easy degree but it's definitely doable, and if you are interested in maths in school then you can definitely do it at degree level. (Plus you get to learn come super interesting concepts which will absolutely blow your mind :wink:)
I think the main thing to remember is that you do have to work hard with maths, but if you're interested in it, go for it, its so worth it.

If you have any more questions, feel free to message!

Danielle :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest