CletusPotter
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi everyone, I've done a BTEC Foundation Diploma in Computing, and am currently doing 3 GCSEs, with a view to progressing onto A Levels. However I'm not sure that this is the correct path for me, in fact I believe that I would be better suited to doing another BTEC (or similar) course with a view to progressing onto either work or University from there.

I believe that a BTEC Level 3 Foundation Diploma in Engineering would be the best BTEC to start, from there I could then progress onto the Level 3 Extended Diploma, enter the world of work (including an Apprenticeship), or go to HE College from there.

What do you think of this idea? If I do another BTEC, then should I progress onto the Extended Diploma, go to HE College, or just enter the world of work?
Last edited by CletusPotter; 1 year ago
DylAFC
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Are you looking to enter somewhere like a uni if you do a BTEC? Most top unis only accept them combined with certain A-levels.
CletusPotter
Rep:
(Original post by dylgeo)
Are you looking to enter somewhere like a uni if you do a BTEC? Most top unis only accept them combined with certain A-levels.
Yes I'm looking to potentially go to University, preferably a decent one. You raise a good point, in anticipation of this issue, I am happy to take a Level 3 Extended BTEC alongside the Maths A Level. Or a Level 3 Foundation Diploma, alongside the Maths A Level over two years, and another A Level (likely to be Further Maths) over my 2nd year. What do you think of that idea?
DylAFC
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CletusPotter)
Yes I'm looking to potentially go to University, preferably a decent one. You raise a good point, in anticipation of this issue, I am happy to take a Level 3 Extended BTEC alongside the Maths A Level. Or a Level 3 Foundation Diploma, alongside the Maths A Level over two years, and another A Level (likely to be Further Maths) over my 2nd year. What do you think of that idea?
That may be a good idea, as some RG’s will like you having Maths/FM with whatever BTEC you’re doing. Just don’t think about somewhere like Oxford or Cambridge, they don’t accept vocational courses.
CletusPotter
Rep:
(Original post by dylgeo)
That may be a good idea, as some RG’s will like you having Maths/FM with whatever BTEC you’re doing. Just don’t think about somewhere like Oxford or Cambridge, they don’t accept vocational courses.
You are partially correct i.e. you are right when you say that some RG Unis like candidates with A Level Maths if they are taking a Level 3 Extended BTEC qualification. However I disagree when you mention Further Maths, because even Oxford don't ask for it, and they are the most prestigious UK Uni that I know which accept BTEC qualifications at all, so logically no other Uni should ask for it.

However, I believe that you may be wrong on Oxford, whilst they generally speaking do not accept BTEC courses, there are some exceptions to that rule, for example they will still accept a Level 3 Extended BTEC Diploma in Engineering for an Engineering Science Degree, as long as it is accompanied by an A Level in Physics, and the new Level 3 Certificate in Mathematics for Engineering. Source: https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/unde...eering-science
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (18)
21.69%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
13.25%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
4.82%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (14)
16.87%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (17)
20.48%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
22.89%

Watched Threads