Spouse of British national finance eligibility

Watch this thread
Milicat
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,

I am non EU spouse of British national. My visa status is Spouse - leave to remain.
I have been in the UK for 3 years and 8 months. I want to apply for a course that starts next September, and then I will be in the UK for 4 years and 6 months. I only want tuition free loan. Am I eligible at all?
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Milicat)
Hi,

I am non EU spouse of British national. My visa status is Spouse - leave to remain.
I have been in the UK for 3 years and 8 months. I want to apply for a course that starts next September, and then I will be in the UK for 4 years and 6 months. I only want tuition free loan. Am I eligible at all?
Hi there, our regulations for the 2021/22 academic year have not been released yet, however the government has released information regarding eligibility for new EU students who are starting university in the 2021/22 academic year. You can read this information here http://ow.ly/S3Ty30qSFeW

Thanks, Isaac
Milicat
Rep:
(Original post by SFE Isaac)
regarding eligibility for new EU students
Thank you Isaac, but this doesn't answer my question. I am NON EU.
SFE Isaac
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Thank you Isaac, but this doesn't answer my question. I am NON EU.
Yes you are non EU but you would only be entitled to apply as a family member of an EU National to receive EU funding. However as EU funding is not going to exist next year, we do not know the new regulations.

You will need to be eligible to apply for home student funding but we don't currently know how this affects family members of EU/UK Nationals.
I advise you to contact us again early next year and we will be able to advise on your eligibility.
Thanks, Isaac
Shima900
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I have already started my course in September, now applied for EU funding only tuition fees. My husband is british and I have been living in the UK for 5 years now ,I obtained my settled status in November this year. I spoke to somebody on the phone prior to applying I was told that I won't be eligible as my British husband does not count as an EU national.However, I applied and now waiting for response. Could you explain if I am eligible or not.
SFE Isaac
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Shima900)
I have already started my course in September, now applied for EU funding only tuition fees. My husband is british and I have been living in the UK for 5 years now ,I obtained my settled status in November this year. I spoke to somebody on the phone prior to applying I was told that I won't be eligible as my British husband does not count as an EU national.However, I applied and now waiting for response. Could you explain if I am eligible or not.
With leave to remain status you are not eligible for home student funding.

You are only eligible for EU funding based on being a family member of an EU/UK National currently but this will change next year.
Thanks, Isaac
Milicat
Rep:
Can I get any updates please? I don't want to apply for the course and end up disappointed because I cannot get funding. I already had that experience and I don't want to do that to myself.
As I can see from Shima900 post, I won't be able to get finance for my course fees even when I get remain to leave?
It's so unfair, makes me wonder why I came to this country at all. Am I supposed to work for minimum wage forever???
SFE Isaac
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Can I get any updates please? I don't want to apply for the course and end up disappointed because I cannot get funding. I already had that experience and I don't want to do that to myself.
As I can see from Shima900 post, I won't be able to get finance for my course fees even when I get remain to leave?
It's so unfair, makes me wonder why I came to this country at all. Am I supposed to work for minimum wage forever???
Hi, the eligibility criteria has been released.

You will need to meet the criteria listed here https://www.gov.uk/guidance/studying...or-eu-students (scroll to the bottom).

You can also view the full eligibility criteria here https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-academic-year

Do you have pre settled status or only leave to remain status?
Thanks, Isaac
Milicat
Rep:
Hi Isaac,

Thanks for your reply.

My residence permit says my status is: Spouse visa -leave to remain until July 2022.
I cannot apply for settlement yet.
I guess that means I won't be able to get any financial support?
I need help with paying my fees only.

It's really frustrating because I don't know should I apply for the course at all.
Last edited by Milicat; 1 year ago
SFE Isaac
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hi Isaac,

Thanks for your reply.

Muly residence permit says my status is: Spouse visa -leave to remain until July 2022.
I cannot apply for settlement yet.
I guess that means I won't be able to get any financial support?
I need help with paying my fees only.

It's really frustrating because I don't know should I apply for the course at all.
The new eligibility criteria states:

Family members of UK nationals living in the UK

Family members of UK nationals resident in the UK will qualify for home fee status and
tuition fee support from Student Finance England on the basis of 3 years ordinary
residence in the UK and the Islands. They must also be undertaking a designated course
in England.

However I don't know if this applies if you have leave to remain status.

We are receiving training on the 21/22 year next week so I will query this and get back to you on Wednesday.
Thanks, Isaac
Milicat
Rep:
Thank you so much Isaac!
SFE Isaac
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Thank you so much Isaac!
You're welcome I hope you have a nice weekend.
SFE Isaac
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Thank you so much Isaac!
Hi, I don't have a full response to provide yet but I aim to respond by the end of the week.
Thanks, Isaac
SFE Isaac
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Thank you so much Isaac!
Hi, you will be required to show you have 3 years residency in the UK, 3 years lawful status and provide your ID, your marriage certificate and your spouses ID. I advise you to apply as soon as the application launches so our assessors can review your case.
Thanks, Isaac
Milicat
Rep:
(Original post by SFE Isaac)
Hi, you will be required to show you have 3 years residency in the UK, 3 years lawful status and provide your ID, your marriage certificate and your spouses ID. I advise you to apply as soon as the application launches so our assessors can review your case.
Thanks, Isaac
Thank you so much.
So you think I would be eligible for student finance? I will apply soon.
SFE Isaac
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Thank you so much.
So you think I would be eligible for student finance? I will apply soon.
If you can provide all of that evidence then yes. I advise you to apply in March and then our assessors will let you know.
Thanks, Isaac
Ann Akuruka
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Hello Isaac, I relocated to the Uk on the 19th of September 2017 on a spouse visa and I have been living in the uk till date. I am due to apply for my ILR 06/23 Do you think I will be classified a home student and also eligible for student finance? I intend to apply in September for a foundation course. Looking forward to your reply.
SFE Isaac
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Ann Akuruka)
Hello Isaac, I relocated to the Uk on the 19th of September 2017 on a spouse visa and I have been living in the uk till date. I am due to apply for my ILR 06/23 Do you think I will be classified a home student and also eligible for student finance? I intend to apply in September for a foundation course. Looking forward to your reply.
Hi Ann,

In order to determine your eligibility, please confirm:

1. Which university and course you are looking to start your studies with?
2. How old you are.
3. Your nationality and current status in the UK.
4. Any previous study and qualifications you may hold.

Thanks, Isaac
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (22)
29.33%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (27)
36%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (6)
8%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
4%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
5.33%
I’m starting to consider my university options (10)
13.33%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (2)
2.67%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise